Use Flood sensor the other way around!

Hello,

I am thinking to use 1 or more Flood sensors like (eversprings) to measure water level in the ground water tank…

So I should receive a notification when the sensor dry (whish means the tank %50, %70 or %90 empty!!)

What do you think guys??
And any clue how to make it done??

Best,

Check out http://www.amazon.com/Aeon-Labs-Aeotec-Z-Wave-DSB45-ZWUS/dp/B00H3TJ3P4

Reports presence of water and/or absence of water

1 Like

You can’t really submerse these sensors in water. But check out this thread. Should do the trick for you:)

4 Likes

These units from Lowes work with smartthings:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_422362-45367-TST01-1___?productId=4740940&pl=1&Ntt=iris

This will be the cheapest option and it has a really long wire.

Cheers,
Scott

1 Like

Be careful with this type of use for a normally open sensor. Continuous closing of the sensor and waiting for it to open could cause the device to constantly check in and drain the battery much faster.

Since they report battery level, you can monitor it and see if it is draining really fast or not.

Or another option: Made a Water Leak Sensor Especially nice if you find them on sale.

It’s an open close sensor, so it isn’t waiting for one signal or the other. And you can edit the device type to have it say whatever you want when it’s open/closed.

1 Like

Yes, I am having battery issues for a toilet flush application. Not sure if it is because it is “shorted” in the water, the LED or the fact that the toilet gets a lot of activity and is sending so many wi-fi signal. The thing is my ZWave door sensor is open-close much more than the toilet is flushed and it lasted months vs. days.

Not sure how Wi-Fi vs. ZWave or AA vs 3V stub batteries compare

2 Likes

These sensors were meant to be dormant for extended periods of time and only wake up when the sensor is closed.

Constantly opening and closing this sensor causes it to check in frequently, run at full power and thus drain the battery quicker.

2 Likes

Do you think the sensor mentioned above would fix my problem (looks like it is meant to be wet) http://www.amazon.com/Aeon-Labs-Aeotec-Z-Wave-DSB45-ZWUS/dp/B00H3TJ3P4

1 Like

Yeah, that should work. Just depends on how urgent you need an alert that water is/isn’t present. Just don’t poll the device frequently and let it send the updates and all should be good.

1 Like

The other (frankly, last) option would be to wire whatever sensor you end up using to an appropriate wall wart.

1 Like

Thanks guys for your participation…

Don’t you thing a Fibaro flood sensor would work?

It has source for 12/24v instead of battery and has the ability to add a long wire to detect the water…

My quistion is that can I monitor 3 sensor feom one single app? ( to detect the level of water)…

So… Must. Know. Story. Behind. This :smiley:

Sure, I work at the Veterans Administration hospital and we are developing SmartHomes to monitor patient / participant activity. They wear tracking tags so we can see their path and know when they are in or out of certain areas and to know they are moving around (vs. being sedentary or never having got out of bed). We use the SmartThings to monitor activities like when they tilt their medication box, when they are taking a shower, when they open their underwear drawer, when they open the refrigerator. Lots of other things … One of the things that is useful is knowing how many times they use the bathroom. This could be indicative of a UTI or dehydration. There is also value in the data from a water consumption standpoint but I am not using that data for the VA Project.

One of the “future” use cases that I have read a whitepaper on was a SmartHome that reminded patients who have incontinence to go every 3 hours. The thing is that the SmartHome should not remind him if he just went, but rather should reschedule the day. It even went on to say that the SmartHome could know when the guys favorite show was on and remind him to go before the show starts.

3 Likes

Most flood sensors are set up to be dry most of the time, then report when wet.

The Aeon linked to above is instead a “water sensor,” which can also be set to be used wet most of the time and report when dry.

Absence of water. Water Sensor can also detect the absence of water, meaning it’s the perfect accessory for managing when water must be present for the likes of fish tanks and water tanks.

The Fibaro is really meant more as a flood sensor than a water sensor. Read the reviews. Also be aware that on the Fibaro if you want to attach it to the mains you have to take the case apart, drill holes in it, and then make your own wired connection. There’s no built in power jack nor power supply available for it. Same with a long probe. See the manual.

Can we not go into the device type and switch “dry” and “wet” around? Not a coder here but sure will save a lot of monkeying around with all the mods.

Depends on the type of sensor, but in the case of a device like the Fibaro, no.

A typical flood sensor works like this:

The flood detector has three sensors. When any two of those make contact with water, the water completes the electrical circuit which allows an alarm to sound. The completed circuit also activates a back to base alarm signal.

The water itself is conductive for completing the circuit. They basically only know on/off.

In contrast, water sensors often work more like a humidity sensor, detecting a percentage difference.

Float valves are another option.

ultrasonic sensors are also used in closed tanks, but not usually in home automation.

Just caught up on the thread.

The aeon linked above is hands down the best option. Buy that and be happy:)

Reviews on amazon say it works with SmartThings :slight_smile:

1 Like

+1 on Aeon DSB45-ZWUS, but is it supported in SmartThings app so that it can send an alert or action when the water level is too low (for a certain number of minutes or hours in order to avoid overzealous alarms)? Or does SmartThings only treat it like a flood alarm instead?