Use Alexa to open a Kiwkset lock connected to Smarthings

I just set up a Smartthings hub and have it controlling my Kwikset deadbolt. Has anyone figured a way to make this work with Amazon Alexa?

Yes, you’ll need to create virtual switches that you turn on and off to lock and unlock. There has been lots of discussion on the topic.

Keep in mind anyone can shout from outside “Alexa, open front door” and it will comply :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I use Alexa to lock my locks with a virtual switch. Unlock is not secure enough for me using voice.

Use this app written by @luma

It keeps your locks and virtual switches in sync if someone manualy opens/locks them. you can set the app to run in modes so Alexa won’t listen to someone yelling in your window if you are in let’s say away mode.

I have followed this Verbatim but Alexa tell me she can’t find this device/in my group(s)?

I recommend using Alexa Helper to link your locks to a virtual switch: [RELEASE] Alexa Helper

To do this, you simply create a control scenario, define a momentary button tile (or and Alexa Switch), and define the lock you want to use. As mentioned above you can control WHEN it is activated with mode/time restrictions. The nice thing is that the Alexa Switch is ‘stateless’ so it doesn’t have to be ON to turn it OFF (that may not make sense until you start using it).

Let me know if you have questions.

That worked, thanks

Excellent…good to hear.

I can’t figure out how to " select your new Button Tile virtual device and a Lock device" .

I’ve created a new device with the “On/Off Button Tile” type and I’ve installed this app.

I can’t figure out how to select the virtual device and lock device together