Use a dumb siren plus smart plug with STHM?

Yes none of this is a problem. The siren does not have a switch and is always on with power

1 Like

As far as i know i tried that with my device and had no success. Very possible /probable i did it wrong though

Which DTH are you using?

by krlaframboise

works with monoprice zwave dual outlet - after pairing to ST default DH and then changing to this DH

Honestly im not 100% sure what all i tried at this point most of what i tried was late last night. I tried just switching the device type in the existing device in smartthings. I tried to make a device handler using the zigbee switch as a starting point and adding some bits i found

i have a mix of sirens inside and outside. you get a couple of the bull horn sirens going off inside and its enough to drive someone absolutely crazy and run them off. i have them plugged into UPS and behind and under things that arent exactly easy to get to.

1 Like

and this is basically what i want to do with my Innr switches but i can’t get them to operate as a siren.

1 Like

Ok, here’s the thing.

SmartThings often tries to pretend that there isn’t any difference between Z wave, and Zigbee but there are some very significant differences.

The DTH that @Awestun Used should work great with a Z wave pocket socket. But there isn’t anything similar to work with a zigbee pocket socket.

That’s because Zwave has a concept Of “basic” commands which become a generic command that can be sent to multiple device classes.

The DTH that @Awestun used is taking advantage of this to translate a request into a basic command. That’s how it takes a siren instruction and changes it to something that an on/off switch understands.

Zigbee doesn’t handle it that way: it sends siren specific commands which, as you’ve noted, your pocketsocket doesn’t understand.

By far the easiest way for you to complete your project, given that you do have a siren that makes noise when the power is restored, is to switch to using a Z wave pocketsocket and then use the same DTH that @awestun linked to.

There may be some on sale for prime day this coming week, a lot of online retailers will be running sales to compete with Amazon.

1 Like

something in krlaframboise code it relabeling them as a siren.

while the mp zwave dual outlet is $24, you might be able to get one of the many other branded (i.e. jasco) zwave dual outlets for cheap from ebay.

Ok this is what i needed to hear. Thank you so much for clearing that up for me. so any Z-Wave socket will work with that DTH?

You can also check it this app. It can trigger a variety of devices including switches and can be setup to use in conjunction with the STHM dashboard. It can replace STHM security monitoring with more sensor monitoring options and expanded actions and notifications. Might be easier than making a custom device handler

this is the exact outlet that i am using with the dh.

currently $24, but goes on sale sometimes. I got mine for $8 each.

also doubles as a router/repeater for zwave.

it appears that the similar dual headed plug in outlets on ebay are just as much.

you might be able to pair a similar dual outlet plug and then change to this dh, but it might not work.

Theoretically any simple on/off zwave pocket socket with just one controllable outlet should work.

A pocket socket with energy reporting or with more than one controllable outlet might not work.

this one work?

It should, but since it’s custom code I can’t be 100% sure. (I use a voice reader and can’t really follow all the code.)

that one shows $35 so why not just get the monoprice $24.

I can go to the local hardware and get this one in the morning. also the link you sent me shows out of stock

About the only thing you don’t seem to have mentioned is setting the alarm attribute. So e.g.

def siren()
{
    sendEvent( name: 'alarm', value: 'siren' )
    return on()
}

Not forgetting one will be needed in the off().

I don’t know if that would make any difference.

ok so i was told on this thread i could do what i was trying to do because zigbee…i figured it was possible but i was at a dead end as to what i was missing. perhaps this is it. Ill try it. thanks.

hmm well now i can’t get it to create the device handler with or without that part you added. im so confused lol