Updates to the SmartThings Platform

Rooms aren’t going anywhere. The devices tab is actually a panel to access each room - you swipe to get to other rooms. personally, I’m not a fan of the UI choice - but it should work ok for anything that’s NOT voice navigation.

2 Likes

I think theres a hamburger menu in the top left too you can use to pick a room. Hopefully it works better for voice nav :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Thank you so much for that answer, nathancu. Soooo much of a relief to hear the early press leaks/releases missed mentioning that important capability is staying afterall.

So is the Devices tab rather like the current Rooms menu, except opening into a room rather than a list of Rooms? I must admit I rarely use the swiping between Rooms at the moment, I back up to the list and use that. That maybe because swiping isn’t ubiquitous in the app.

The Devices menu hasn’t really been carrying its weight up to now as it hasn’t been using device tiles, so fusing Rooms and Devices would sort of make sense.

Well to be fair the Notice installed in the app does explicitly mention swiping between Rooms in the Devices tab. It does make you wonder if the tab should just be called Rooms if that is the emphasis.

1 Like

Yeah that’s basically it Graham - it opens into some arbitrary room (don’t know yet if its last opened or just first in the list) and you have a ‘carousel’ like experience with the panel showing being a single room, then all the devices inside that room - then you can swipe left or right to get to the next ‘room’ and see its devices. I can see with this UI choice why they’d want to limit the rooms - swipes. It also makes sense with this experience why they created a separate ‘favorites’ panel. Probably the best compromise between New and Classic they could come up with. As soon as Google Play propagates the binaries I’m planning on downloading it to check it out.

Rooms already behave rather like that. You pick a Room and then you can swipe either way into other Rooms. However because it doesn’t have the dots across the bottom to indicate the number of pages and give the visual cue (as it does with the Location/Weather and STHM cards on top of the dashboard page) I can well imagine that many users have not even noticed.

Unfortunately the swiping doesn’t loop back to the start/end in the current app, and I wouldn’t be surprised if that was another One UI characteristic. It sure is dumb.

I really hope the UI isn’t a factor in limiting the number of Rooms as it would be frightening to think that not only did someone come up with that idea, but that others agreed with it.

2 Likes

Still waiting for the update to be available for me :confounded:

Same for me, I haven’t seen the update on my Note20 or Tablet. :crossed_fingers: hopefully soon.

@orangebucket with web based app, now you can add more rooms

Samsung doesn’t care about you!
They only care about people buying there TV’s and “Dumb” I mean smart appliance’s

Have just updated my mobile and tablet to the new app, here in Australia.
Havent done much yet.
PS there is an AutomateYourLife video covering it in some detail on youtube.

Any one got it in the UK?

No sign of it for me but then it usually does take a few days when I get it via the Google Play Store. After two or three years of not making the app available for my phones, the Galaxy Store does now have the app, but it is very hit and miss as to when it appears there and more often than not I still receive it via Google.

Hm ok. Anyone got it in the us?

There is a discussion thread for the new 2021 app here:

Something big is coming! (June 2021 app update)

Yep, I posted in the other Something Big is Coming thread.

New app requires Android 8.0 or higher

oh snit! on-the-go and work phone (read: was cheap if it breaks) last update was android 7! O.O

I got it yesterday in the US.

1 Like