Updates to the SmartThings Platform

That deletes the entire ST integration. All devices, not just the one.

2 Likes

Youā€™ll need to go back 2 releases to get a version of the new app compatible with Android 6.

1 Like

Thatā€™s EXACLY why I asked. THANK YOU!

However, this notion of ST linking through everything has been a problem even with Classic. I guess this came up before for some use cases, but I see why itā€™s become a real issue if the integration is smooshing together all the ST locations into a single ā€œHomeā€ location in Google. Am I (now) understanding this properly?

Mostly accurateā€¦specifically, these ā€œConnectā€ apps are the SmartApps that configure C2C (Cloud to Cloud) devices. Weā€™re actively migrating ST approved C2C devices to ST Schema in the background which is why youā€™re seeing fewer and fewer of them. For those community members interested in integrating new cloud devices, Iā€™d highly recommend doing that through ST Schema.

3 Likes

Previously, we could select to share all or select individual devices. My house is mostly Alexa, so we share just about everything with that integration. My security system and pool (the two community built integrations that are the reason I moved to ST from Vera) are only partially shared with Alexa, since I donā€™t want voice disarm or voice burn-up-the-pool-pump. I donā€™t consider my workshop secure enough for Alexa, so thatā€™s a Google Home area. Google Home can only control the devices that are already physically accessible in that space. None of that was ever a problem before.

:confounded: :frowning:
And this is the message they have heard (I was just sent this in a PM by a ST member in response to my ā€œhyper-focusedā€ comment):

Majority of users just care about duplicate devices.

1 Like

Trust me, weā€™re still conscious that the other half of users care about the other three thingsā€¦this just helps us prioritize what to focus on first with the fix and whatā€™s most important if weā€™re forced to make choices. Thank you everyone for the feedback!

2 Likes

How about prioritizing what is most likely to kill one of your customers? :thinking:

Iā€™m not kidding. We gave you the example of an oxygen tank being turned off and of a medical monitoring system being turned off. And of a security system being disarmed. Any of those has potentially lethal consequences, and that should matter.

15 Likes

BTW, I would let you folks off the hook if this was a brand new feature, because then, yes, those of us with these kinds of issues have to explore the functionality carefully before implementing it for the first time.

But this is a change to existing functionality. Thatā€™s a different situation. At a minimum, I expect to see an email blast to all customers using voice assistants highlighting that this functionality has changed and that all devices are now exposed to the voice assistant. People should not be left to discover this for themselves.

12 Likes

Honestly, Iā€™d love to have an option to share all devices with a smartapp. I feel like this was a missing quality of life feature in the old app. ActionTiles? Share all. That smartapp that logs events to a server on my LAN? Share all. WebCore? Share all. Alexa and Google Home arenā€™t on my list though, and they were the only ones that had that option.

2 Likes

@blake.arnold
Unless Iā€™m missing something here, what does the reason of not having everything exposed to a voice assistant have to do with prioritizing a fix?

The fix should be the same regardless of the reason i.e. allow everyone to choose which devices are exposed.I donā€™t see how the reason behind it correlates to the fix.

I had to unlink my voice assistant totally due to this.

9 Likes

This. Allowing the choice fixes all of these issues so why not just prioritise that?!

If you had asked this question in your poll it wouldā€™ve got 100% of the vote!

7 Likes

Some reason they donā€™t want to allow us to have choice.

This creates a huge issue with people with multiple homes or who is sharing the access of their home to someone else. Every time someone in another home creates a new device it adds it to my Alexa and then screws up my Alexa. I donā€™t mind going in once to the Alexa app to disable items and change names, but every time someone else makes a change is insane. And the only " approved" way to control sthm is with the app. No native key pads, I know there are work arounds. So you either have to give others access to your app or do a work around with via virtual stwiches that now exposes your security system to alexa voice control. Raise your hand if you think that is unsafe.

And why not warn us that all our devices were being auto added to Alexa? That created a lot of headaches.

7 Likes

Why is it so difficult to simply allow us to choose which devices are exposed to voice assistants? There are lots of different reasons WHY people want to selectively choose which devices/routines are exposed. Simply giving us a choice of which ones are exposed fixes ALL the problems, regardless of WHY each person wants that feature. Which we had. And was taken away.

12 Likes

That is my problem exactly. I have duplicate devices with all 3rd party integrations that also have Alexa skills.

1 Like

Ok, finally dove in and made the migration. I had held off from switching to a Samsung account (why fix it if it ainā€™t broke hint hint) so the migration banner was blocked. . .thought I was just lucky. . . .until I started getting the emails. Anyway, there are now like 3+ gigantic threads with people talking about the migration. Any suggestion on which one is best to dive in on? I have been casually watching this one Get ready to make the switch! so am aware of a lot of the issues, but now need to actually mine through them as I thought I still had plenty of time. I am a pretty heavy Webcore & simulated/virtual device user if that helps frame it.

One specific issue I am trying to address first is that I previously used Virtual Presence sensors to indicate we were home (4, 1 for each family member) and Webcore would update those and adjust Location Mode and STH status. I went that route since presence was so unreliable I wanted an easy way to toggle. Now I can see none of those sensors in the new app. I see one did migrate that was not tied to a specific person (toggled on when guests were over), but from what I can see in the IDE, they are all setup the same. As I understand it, even if I can get them to show up, I canā€™t toggle them any more, so is the best equivalent path to change them all to switches anyway and just remove the old Simulated Presence Sensors?

Lots of other problems, but getting my home/away working and tied in with STHM is my first goal so all the Webcore things tied to that keep working.

So far a poor experience and a poor use of my time.

@blake.arnold @jody.albritton

Please check the poll results again.

The majority of users care about being able to select what devices they expose to other services, for reasons such as protecting the privacy of their location and avoiding duplicates.

11 Likes

I already have issues with geolocation and routines not running consistently when I leave and come home and I tolerate it because Iā€™m lazy and I already invested a ton of time getting my entire house setup and programmed.

However, if I as much as have 1 more issue or lose any functionality Iā€™m jumping ship to something like hubitat and it seems most of the community is doing the same.

People like myself have thousands in smart home devices and rely on them daily and you feel taking functionality away and potentially breaking anything is acceptable no matter the reasoning? Typical of corporations.

6 Likes

Has this ever been said explicitly? That the V2 hub will get the 0.32x firmwareā€¦

Theres no reason they wont. Its currently supported and technically has more capable processing and memory than the 2018 and is already at 31.x.

V. 1 wont be getting it, it hasnā€™t received new firmware for a while and i doubt the ADT hub will either.

3 Likes