Updates to the SmartThings Platform

No need to worry. I would not change anything

Thanks, I’ll worry about other stuff :grinning:

Yes, I’m aware that they don’t work with switches and that you need the dual capability device. (I’m the one who wrote the community FAQ about it. :sunglasses:)

However, unfortunately multiple people have reported in the forum in the last few weeks that that exact DTH is no longer working to trigger Amazon routines. Engineering is aware of it and is looking into it.

It’s not everyone, but it is unfortunately quite a few people. These were all virtual devices which have been working just fine up until now and suddenly stopped working. :disappointed_relieved:

Virtual switches (alexa) keep braking - #4 by Andremain

For the Amazon Echo app update/upgrade, would it be wise to first enter the Echo app and remove all devices, disable the old app? Essentially clean the slate before installing and using the new app?
I have read that many users experience multiple instances of some devices/sensors and this seems like a good way to end up with duplicate devices/sensors.

My understanding is that those are lists of SmartApps that subscribe to the devices in the classic Groovy environment. Indeed webCoRE pistons fake subscriptions to the other devices they use just so the piston appears.

While the IDE is still available you can look at the device pages and see the same info.

The ‘new’ app doesn’t operate in the Classic environment and so doesn’t have the access to this legacy information.

Looks like the Logitech Harmony is no longer supported in the new app? Is this correct?

If you have set it up in the Classic app, it still works in the new app.

It was available to install in the new app for a period but was removed at some point this spring. Who knows, it may return .

4 Likes

Ah ok, thanks.

I just tried editing my devices for webcore in the new app, and tried to create a new SmartLighting automation within that SmartApp. both gave me errors and crashed out to the home screen. i’m unable to delete the incomplete SmartLighting automation too.

two new app failures in a row like that give me little confidence in an app migration

What was the error message?

There is a known bug when adding devices in webcore in the new app

when adding devices, the done button appears on the first screen then next and next but then you will see Cancel, Cancel, Discard. Yes, it is a bug but the devices you select are saved even though you selected Cancel, Cancel, Discard. go figure!

1 Like

The new Alexa/Smartthings integration broke the virtual switch/sensor device that has been working for me for over a year. While the state seems to pass to Alexa, it simply doesn’t trigger the routine anymore. Extremely irritating.

You should let Tanjeeb at support know what’s going on. He responded to an email I had sent on Monday.

“ I would like to inform you that we currently don’t have any ETA to when the Classic app is going to be removed. You’ll definitely be notified when the date will get announced.”

1 Like

Well, all I did was remove Echo Speaks and link Alexa Voice Assistant to Smartthings and now rboy’s Lock User Manager is not working and Alexa Virtual Switch/Sensor is not triggering routines. Looks like this is going to be very painful.

1 Like

I ran though it again and it looks like my previous changes were saved. I did actually receive an error message before but didn’t this time.

But good to know that process at least. Thanks.

So does SHTM function like SHM?

I REALLY prefer to use the Rboy app for this. I don’t believe he has this ready for the new version yet as they are having issues with capabilities.

Maybe they should set deadlines AFTER they test everything and make sure it’s working.

4 Likes

What a f#*king s#itshow.

Not only can I not add the new Alexa integration, but the existing integration, which has been working beautifully for years I might add, now all of a sudden tells me it can’t find a device light one second and executes the command on the second (or fifth) try.

Thanks Samsung. I should have learned, after buying new TVs, Fridges, Phones etc that Always go obsolete within 25 months. If there isn’t a good reason to upgrade the TV you remove some integration (Skype?) on older existing models
 Fu#k.

4 Likes

STHM (SmartThings Home Monitor) is similar to SHM (smart home monitor) but with some significant differences.

1. STHM has built-in delays, which is nice.

2. You cannot change the STHM mode from anything except a custom automation, which can be frustrating. Or of course manually toggling in the app. So people end up using sets of virtual switches to get control from things like actiontiles or Webcore. Or if they aren’t using custom location.modes they can have the security.mode follow the location mode each time if they happen to map one to one for them.

3. Some community members have said that all of STHM runs in the cloud, where some SHM automations could run locally. but I haven’t seen that officially confirmed anywhere yet.

4. In SHM, you could set up a custom notification to let you know when a sensor had been Left open for a specific period of time. I had one that let me know if a closet door had been left open for two minutes because we keep toxic cleaning supplies in there. There is no similar feature in the new app, which can be very frustrating. :rage: The alternative is to either use webcore or sharptools, but many people don’t know that.

5. Setting up automations based on presence is somewhat different and can be confusing, especially if there are multiple people in the household. I haven’t quite figured this out myself yet, so I don’t know if there’s any missing functionality, or if it’s just a different process.

6. In the classic app, you could create a routine and say to not run it in specific location mode. There’s nothing similar in the new app. You can have one location mode and only one location mode as the filter on an automation. Of course you can accomplish the same result with webcore or sharptools, but not everyone will know that. You can also do it with smartlighting, but smartlighting is not available in all regions.

@blake.arnold

4 Likes

I actually have an app based presence that toggles “away” only when all members are absent. It toggles present when any member returns. It’s nice in the classic app because if the phones actually glitch, I can toggle it manually and when the phones catch up it doesn’t matter. However, in the new app, the toggle function doesn’t work on the simulated presence.

I use the SHM notifications now. So, I expect to be disappointed. I think I can use webcore for the notifications, I just have to set it up.

As to the modes in SHTM, do they change at specific times? I have several different modes currently aside from the standard home/away. I also have a vacation mode and a yard work mode (the last so that I can leave doors unlocked without the aforementioned notifications while doing yard work) Currently, the yardwork mode is triggered by a virtual switch that I can toggle from Google assistant.

They are just like the SHM modes in classic: they don’t change at all unless you either use the app manually or write an automation to change them. If you want it to change every day at a specific time you can create an automation to do that. :sunglasses:

Just for clarification, the SmartApps (Lock User Managgement (LUM), Rental Lock Automater (RLA) etc) have already been updated and are working on the new app (no migration or anything else required, just log into the new ST app, open the app from the SmartApps tabs and you’re good to go).

I think you’re referring to the enhanced z-wave lock device handler. The core functionality, again, is solid (since it runs in the cloud and not the app) and there is nothing for you to do (no migration required, it’ll work just fine).
What you don’t see in the new app yet is support for custom UI controls for device handlers (DTH). This doesn’t affect the SmartApps or core DTH functionality, but you won’t see any of the advanced UI controls like auto lock, privacy, audio, alarms, keypad controls etc. ST staff are saying that custom controls be ready in the next few weeks and, so yes, we’re hoping that we’ll have enough time/support to make custom controls happen before the sunset date.

5 Likes