Updates to the SmartThings Platform

I noticed that the automations i migrated from routines in the old app were buggy and I needed to delete and re-create them to get them to work.

The location mode as a pre-condition seems to work though in general. It’s just the other way round than in the old app.

Just a comment in general: It would have been great for SmartThings to write a FAQ or a detailed tutorial for the migration and how things work in the new app now. This would have saved a lot of people lots of time and frustration (and probably SmartThings customer service time, too). There is some bare bone help in the new app but that’s far too little detail. You can tell that this project was driven by technology and missed communication - like many projects do. Maybe this will happen for the next phase.

3 Likes

The new integration with Google Assistant has made this integration completely unusable. Was any thought or testing completed at all before it was decided to automatically push all SmartThings devices, scenes, and rooms from ANY home into a SINGLE Google Home location? Now my Google Home shows all the devices from my parent’s home mixed in with all of my devices (two SmartThings locations pushed into one Google home location). The only choices I have are:

1. Remove myself from my parent’s SmartThings location losing the ability to help them configure their system remotely.
  2. Remove SmartThings integration from Google Assistant which breaks my ability to utilize scenes to change location modes for when I go to sleep at night.

Additionally, since SmartThings also removed the ability to filter out which devices are visible by Google Assistant, I now see duplicates for all of my cloud connected devices such as Lutron switches and Lifx bulbs as I connected Google Assistant directly to these services as direct connections from Google Assistant to these cloud services have been far more reliable than connecting through SmartThings. Again, the only option I have is to remove the direct integration of Google Assistant with these services forcing me to depend on the less reliable SmartThings cloud (where device management seems to have issues at least monthly based on the service status notices that are publish).

7 Likes

I have this same problem. I’ve tried working with ST Support but they keep asking me for things I’ve already sent (videos and logs). Really? You click on it and it crashes. How many videos do you need to understand that?

1 Like

OK, I found what I did wrong, just in case anybody else does the same thing

The first screen says

“ Select a mode.”

Also, the voiceover description says each one is a “button“ and those are not usually used for multiple choice options.

So I just assumed we could only pick one from the list at that point.

If you do that and then you try to add an additional “if“ condition, location.mode is no longer shown as a choice.

So I was wrong, and maybe the fact that I was using voiceover made it seem less like a multiple-choice list, But it does seem like a possible point of confusion. :thinking:

@blake.arnold

3 Likes

I’ve read all posts here, I’ve used FB group to search, I’ve emailed support (never got a response)…

So after failing a few times before finalizing a half baked Migration… my smartapps do not show up in the smartapps menu… instead I have to then tap on ‘add SmartApp’ to see my installed smartapps & make changes there… how can this be corrected??

So to be clear, my “installed” smartapps are hidden in the “add smartapps’ menu instead of the ‘smartapps” menu:

So only after I tap “add SmartApp”, then I could access my installed smartapps, like smartlighting, etc.

I could update my smartlighting settings just fine, but why isn’t it showing in the main smartapps menu?

I’m just happy that all my smartlighting automations moved over into the new app, just confused why there are hidden in ‘add SmartApp’ menu. I’ve been told by other new ST app users that this isn’t normal.

@blake.arnold update: support says they don’t know why this is happening… yikes! Have you seen this before?

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Alternative Hubs

HI.
After I did the google home update and reconected Google Home, then all my Philips HUe bulbs are now shown twice in Google Home and before I could in Smartthings choose which items to show in Google Home also - THat feautur is now removed. If I press Google then it just shows that i can delete it and not all the options that wheree there before.

1 Like

@blake.arnold, @Lars

How many people do you want to complain about the new Google integration?

Will any of you ever give a reply, why we cannot set which devices/homes do we want to share?

Here is quick poll for the users who use the Google integration:

• I do NOT want Google to have access to all of my devices/homes, I want to select them. I hate to have duplicate devices.
  • I am happy that Google has access to all of my devices/homes, I love to have duplicate devices.

0 voters

6 Likes

Not just Google, but Alexa does NOT need to see all my stuff either.

15 Likes

I know, but at least Alexa has a feature to hide the devices, but you are absolutely right.

5 Likes

Oh yeah, very true forgot about that. I use Alexa at home and Google in our cars w/Android Auto, so I have a use case for both. I’m definitely not happy with how these voice assistants can see everything for absolutely no reason.

9 Likes

I guess it does, but it’s super tedious. Go through the list to each device in the Alexa app, open it, tap the disable button, wait 3 seconds for the banner to go away, press back twice which brings you to the top of the list, scroll back down to where you were, repeat.

and then if you want to start adding your devices to Alexa groups, all of your disabled devices show up on the list as if they’re active, so you have no idea which one you’re selecting until you add them to the group and see them greyed out

1 Like

I have previously listed the reasons why I think it should be up to the customer which devices to expose. These include health and safety reasons: it is far too easy to accidentally trigger the wrong device by voice.

And while there may be workarounds for people with, as my uncle used To say, “too much time and knowledge on their hands,” it makes it impossible to recommend the platform to anyone else at this time. :disappointed_relieved:

9 Likes

this. right now, smartthings can only be recommended to masochists willing to burn their free time on an ever changing system that keeps removing features and functionality

4 Likes

^This!! What’s the “technical” issue? Seems like it would put more burden on these system by assessing all devices versus just what’s needed. I just don’t understand. At All…Like Really AT ALL. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

5 Likes

I know that this has been requested and requested and requested but…Here I go requesting it again!

I had various rules connected to various Echo Devices. I couldn’t delete EchoSpeaks without first removing associated SmartApps and Rules. Luckily, I was able to go to each Echo Device in the Classic App and then Goto SmartApps. From there, I could see what SmartApps and Rules were in use by that device. It even lets you click on the SmartApp and/or Rule and edit right from the Device Page. This task was still VERY time consuming but again, achievable.

I have no idea how I would have achieved this in the New App on its own. It would have been literally impossible to track down all the Rules associated with so many devices.

This must be addressed!!! I would have simply given up and thrown the Hub in the trash. :weary:

9 Likes

Understand why this is happening … we all knew it was coming but I am a little confused on one point.

For the Hub/Device monitoring … its not clear if older hubs such as the V2 wil be able to run the new firmware 0.32 or if they are actually saying that V2 wont go beyond 0.31 and thus that functionality will remain in the cloud. I have a number of issues with device status and taking a long time to load the device list to be able to use so for me the move to local processing is very welcomed. But to benefit do I have to upgrade to V3 hub? Then secondary questions kick in such as can I have V2 and V3 running side by side to allow devices , automation , scenes etc population and then take out V2 without any loss of devices etc … and should I invest in V3 when there are rumours of a V4 ? Coem on ST clarify things please ?

V2 and up will be fine with the new firmware. They no longer provide uodates to V1.

Edit : also, for the record, migration between hubs is currently an uninstall devices / pair to new hub operation.

This needs to be addressed.

3 Likes

Brilliant thank you

I do wonder if the adt-st hub will be sunset as well but that one is a toss up

1 Like