Updates to Google integration

It can easily be done from either API

1 Like

I have given up hope on even finding out if the new Google intigration will be able restrict visibility of certain devices as it seems to get ignored every time

On a flip not it would be nice to find out what other improvements are in-store for example a Google Speaks (like the Alexa intigration) instead of having to use the relay 

Cast-web is way better than Assistant Relay.

+1 for being allowed which of our personal devices we want to share with Google.

1 Like

Looks like Google just made some changes on their side, so I’m suspecting this change was driven more by Google than SmartThings.

But what’s with the radio silence on why selecting devices to sync was removed?

2 Likes

I was running Smartthings Routines with Google Routines with Virtual switches. Now those switches dont show up in Google Routines. I did a work around and have got my Smartthings Routines to activate via a virtual switch again by creating scenes that toggle the virtual switch. Google Routines can see the scenes.

Speak “Hey Google I’m leaving” - Google activates scene - scene turns on virtual switch - Smartthings Routine runs because virtual switch was turned on and does things and turns off virtual switch - DONE!

Who says Google can’t control locks.

2 Likes

There is something disturbing in the first article.

No controls for the Nvidia Shield? I have a Xiaomi MiBox 3 and the controls are available for ages, both by voice or through the Hub’s screen. So, I cannot really believe what it says

Otherwise, it doesn’t explain why SmartThings has to give access to all devices and scenes. Especially if Hue scenes are available then why do you want to have Gue from ST.

Anyhow, still no answer
 And honestly, I don’t really expect any. The silence is even more disturbing. But knowing that the guys are probably extremely busy, by seeing all the new features what they pushed out recently, I am not surprised at all.

I don’t see anything in the ST API that limits per device. All of the Device scopes have * for all.
x:devices:*
r:devices:*
etc

1 Like

Why are SmartThings updates always a step backwards?

“We have a new update! FYI, the new update offers less functionality than what was previously provided. You’re welcome.”

5 Likes

Correction

“We are excited to announce a new update! FYI, the new update offers less functionality than what was previously provided. You’re welcome.”

Each announcement/update starts with a "Hi Everybody, we are excited to announce
 "

4 Likes

Are you ever going to answers peoples concerns about selected device or keep ignoring then with this crap customer support?

Did you see wink screwing people over and thought hold my beer?

7 Likes

Wouldn’t it be nice if this integration also worked the other way around
 like exposing the Nest Protect or Nest Thermostat to ST??

@Lars is this even possible?

1 Like

Only if you created a nest dev account before they closed the api

Been trying to figure out why I can’t unlink specific devices from ST to GH and now I know. Why would ST take away that functionality? There are a lot of devices that integrate directly with both and users need to have a way to select which integration to use. Boggles my mind why anyone at ST would think that it doesn’t need to be an option.

4 Likes

Another issue caused by a lack of device restriction, using the command “turn off all lights” replies with “
I can’t connect to x lights”.

All lights turn off as they should but the response is annoying.

Good Morning, @Lars ,

Thanks for the update and break down of these new changes. However, I have a question for you;

What do we do in the scenario where all of our scenes in SmartThings are no longer showing in Google Home AFTER this latest update?

For example, I have 5 scenes created in the new SmartThings app. All 5 appeared before, but only 4 are showing in Google Home after the update. Since we are no longer able to use the Google Groovy smartapp in the SmartThings Classic app, I am not able to go and manually select the scene to be accessed by Google Home. I have tried to 1) reconnect the SmartThings account from Google Home, 2) unlink and then link the SmartThings account from Google Home, and 3) deleting and recreating the scene in SmartThings them linking SmartThings in the Google Home app.

I am not sure what else I can try at this point.

Does that missing scene include a lock? I believe any scene with a lock will not be shared for security reasons.

1 Like

I recently factory reset by hub and now getting issues re-connecting to Google Assistant. I suspect it has something to do with this update. Whenever I try, i get error “Couldn’t update the setting. Check your connection”.

I was actually able to sync by create a new account in Smartthings and adding that to my location as member. Would appreciate any help.

Usually the reason a company removes functions is that whatever function was causing too many support tickets. I can imagine they often got “I added a light to smartthings and Google Home can’t see it” and got sick of telling people how to tick the checkbox. But then if they included this step in the setup instructions instead of making it hard to find, then maybe they would not have that problem.

Now they are probably receiving multiple support emails about duplicate devices and cannot select them. Hahaha

I am worried that the question was dodged completely instead of being addressed - however unsatisfyingly.

3 Likes