Updates to Google integration

Are routines and/or automations still supported? I just switched integrations (unintentionally while trying to fix my broken routines) and GA doesn’t pick up them up.

I doubt routines are supported since they are a Classic app concept. Scenes are added, though.

Great idea that work perfectly.

Add me to the list of needing to hide what GH can see. Lost a great feature as now I have 79 duplicate devices in GH. Please bring it back.

3 Likes

Hi Lars,

My mistake, it works with virtual devices (I moved them in a other room that I didn’t check)
So for child devices I will temporary use new virtual devices

Indeed the missing scenes included a lock. As soon as I remove the lock from them they appeared in GH.

I wish I had known this before going ahead with the new integration. These were working fine with the lock before. This is not an improvement.

Unfortunately it is a requirement from our partners. The reason for that is that Alexa and Google both require the use of pin codes when operating locks or security systems. Allowing them in scenes would circumvent that protection.

1 Like

Ran into another issue: I have a simulated switch (hooked to IFTTT) that used to work fine before. Now trying to manipulate it via GA results in “looks like that device isn’t set up yet”. Under Google Home the switch shows “Not Responding”. Operating the switch works fine from within Smartthings.

If routines were previously supported for voice control and the Classic app has not yet been discontinued, then at the very least there should have been an email blast to all customers at least 10 days before the new integration was released warning them that disconnecting and reconnecting the google home integration would lose that functionality.

Otherwise we are back to the situation where Google support or even SmartThings support might tell a customer to remove and re-add the integration as part of troubleshooting a different issue and suddenly critical functionality would be lost forever.

Those of us who depend on home automation for more than just cute tricks simply cannot live this way. No system is perfect, but SmartThings’ consistent design belief that it’s ok to kill functionality without even documenting goes way beyond glitches. :scream:

@Lars

7 Likes

If someone is using ST Classic apps still with custom DH for may devices - what are things that will stop working ? I see that Routines would stop working… Anything else that I should be aware before I dare to re-connect !

SHM too if you delete it.

Custom DTHes should work as usual, with the exception of child devices right now.

PM:ed you about this, simulated switches should work just fine.

Logitech Harmony virtual switches are not supported…

I don’t see a way to restrict device access… I have dozens of devices that I don’t want exposed to Google. This is essentially made the Google integration useless for me.

1 Like

@Lars you’ve addressed a number of questions brought up in this thread, however, you have not addressed the concern about restricting/choosing which devices are presented to Google. Will there be a way to do this, or is that functionality gone forever?

7 Likes

It looks like the big add is ‘All locations’ which I understand to mean multiple SmartThings hubs, is that the correct interpretation?

you can technically put multiple hubs in one location. All locations would be like home, work, beach house, etc.

1 Like

Also a location does not require a hub anymore. For example if the only device you have is a Samsung TV and you add it you will get a location. A lot of devices today are just cloud to cloud integrations so no hub is required.

5 Likes

Logitech harmony activities are now exposed as stateful scenes instead of switches. Since that is what they represent.

1 Like

Are there any plans to be able to restrict which devices are exposed to Google?

I have a nest thermostat and it is also a device in smart things this is one of the many complications I have.

2 Likes