[OBSOLETE] Hue B Smart (Groups & Scenes) - Remove Popcorn Effect!

I love this smart app so far but have a few questions. I finally was able to remove my Hue Bridge (using the built in Smartthings Hue connect integration). It involved going through all smartapps and removing hue bulbs as part of those, which I expected was the problem I couldn’t move the bridge. Now that’s done and I was able to get everything loaded up by Hue B Smart. Here are my main issues:

1. I just installed yesterday but I do not see Bulb IDs in my bulb list as it appears was just added. Do I just need to disconnect bridge and relink it?
  2. By moving to Hue B Smart, I was kind of hoping that if I made a bulb name change inside of any hue app, that the name change would push to smartthings. I know this is wishful thinking but is there anyway to keep them in sync other than manual syncing?
  3. Will group changes be pushed or sync over?
  4. I’m having an issue us trying to use the “remove” feature inside of Hue B Smart. Is this supported? I can force remove a bulb inside ST but just want to make sure this is the correct process.

you need to update the app, have you installed by GitHub or manually

Would be possible to add but will most likely annoy more people than help

Yup straight away too

Should be able to remove from inside Hue B Smart as long as there is no apps using that group,bulb or scene

Ok, understood on all fronts. Thanks so much for the quick reply. Will update the app asap, pretty sure I had connected to the repo on that one.

Last question… for now anyway… I see like over 150 scenes. I know some of these are just how the philips platform handles things? Ton of storagescene and huelab scenes. But I can’t see the full names. I’m no expert at setting up scenes and in the early stages of trying to plan out all the scenes I will need for different rooms and groups. Just wondering the best way to handle this and thoughts around workflow here. Should I stick to ST for scene setups?

How long have you had phillips hue for?
Do you have dimmers, motion sensors connects to hue?

I deleted all the included scenes for each room never used them created the scenes I needed which isn’t many but you can see I still have loads and there’s some i should delete

Have had hue for a while but only a handful of scenes I’ve created, then recently just added a tap. I’m guessing those million other scenes are just built in? I’ve experimented a bit with labs and I do see the living scenes but it’s hard to get the full name since they appear as “Add Scene scene0 huelabs/living-sc”. It’s great that you added the bulb IDs but for me that’s no so intuitive bc of all the matching I’d have to do. I know the scene naming isn’t really related to your code, and to be honest, I’d prefer to have the scene linked to hue. So if this app will sync whenever my specific hue scene is updated in the hue app/bridge, I’ll deal.

Btw, I figured out my issue with removing the bulb using Hue B Smart. Even if I have never added a bulb with HBS, add the bulb and try to remove it right away within the HBS smartapp, I get the “something’s wrong” message. It seems that if your Alexa smartapp is set to “Use all devices/routines” that it locks it in as soon as you add to ST. I guess that makes sense.

That it correct
Think of this app as a web browser its just web links to bulbs, groups and scenes
When you change the groups and scene settings in the hue app nothing needs to change on the Hue B Smart side as all the web links are still the same

Hue need to add extra information to the API why scenes dont have a type field with Standard, device, lab, etc…
Then I could make it easier

Yup every non colour group/room gets 4 scenes (Energize, Relax, Read, Concentrate) and color group/room get 8 (Energize, Relax, Read, Concentrate, Arctic Aurora, Tropical Twilight, Savanna Sunset)

Since Hue supposedly has Alexa support for Living Scenes now, does that mean they have an API for Living Scenes?

I see the title of the post with “Remove Popcorn Effect”. Does that mean it’s been fixed? I have this issue with my recessed lights and try to figure out how to fix.

In official hue integration you cant add groups so you have to send a on command to each bulb to which not all turn on at the same time which has been dubbed the “Popcorn Effect” by the ST community. Hue B Smart has groups so is only sending the group on command to Hue bridge so the popcorn effect cant happen

Please Note: As long as your using groups if your still sending on commands to loads of bulbs you still may get the popcorn effect

This makes complete sense, then here is my challenge/dilemma. For some time now I’ve been putting all lights and devices into ST, then I would create my rooms/groups inside Alexa/Echo bc that’s worked best to turn room lights on together at a certain level or color if they’re color hue bulbs. Will I be able to achieve this after pulling Hue groups into ST?

So would my Alexa Group now just consist of the single Hue Group Device from ST? Trying to understand if I’ll lose any abilities by not having all the lamps/lights as separate devices inside Alexa. I should still be able to voice control individually all devices inside Alexa.

The way I do it is import all the groups, scenes and bulbs I need into ST using hue b smart then Alexa gets that information from ST not directly from hue as I feel I have more control that way

Ok, just added a group and then discovered devices with Alexa but can’t get her to find the group (which is an ST switch?). Am I missing something?

You need to add that device in the Alexa ST smartapp

Sorry, I hadn’t been in there in a few days, just jumped into Alexa devices and it’s showing now!

I’ve been using this app for a long time but just tried to discover some new hue appliances. I can see everything work in the logs but nothing appears in the UI. I’m getting this error in the logs after it finds the bridge and devices.

b8d0cc57-4628-404b-8566-9eb06b00ed88 7:50:37 AM: errorjava.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.String cannot be cast to java.lang.Integer @line 276 (parse)

sounds like your using a old version

Ok, I’m an idiot. I updated the smart app, but not the device handlers. Doh…

I have installed Hue B Smart but I cannot connect to my bridge, keeps searching with no joy. I’m a novice at this sort of thing so any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Make sure all other hue apps and devices are removed from smartthings

The only apps I have are ActionTiles, Hive (Connect), Hue B Smart & Ring.