Updated : GE Link Bulbs - FINALLY getting ON status after manually turning on!

That would be nice, and it’s something we could easily code; but it would be incredibly tough on the ST infrastructure if multiple commands and status checks were always needed. What if the reason was an error or issue on the device? ST could end up in an endless loop. And limiting attempts to prevent the endless loop, might leave you with the same problem if communication didn’t improve fast enough. I don’t know what the right solution is, but hopefully the ST team is hard at work figuring it out. It seems to be a systemic problem right now.

I’m thinking something that does checks progressively slower. e.g., Check 2 seconds after command. Then check another 2 seconds after that. Then 15 seconds. Than 60 seconds. Than five minutes. Something like that. Time out after the final five minute check to prevent endless loops. In all the situations I’ve experienced, usually a second command does the trick, so I’d think this would solve many issues. I can’t speak to how tough that would be in the infrastructure as I’m not too familiar with it.

Where is the updated device type? I think i missed it in this thread? Does someone have the link please?

Link is in the first post. That GitHub link has been updated with the improvements as they were made and tested.

@johnconstantelo I just tried your latest iteration with the dimming preferences. It works great. That was exactly what I was looking for.

No problem @Enitech, glad it’s working out. @Sticks18 had a lot to contribute as well.

@johnconstantelo This is great, thanks! Question though, I have a bulb in an outdoor photocell light that is controlled by a rocker switch. When I turn the bulb off through ST, and then turn the rocker switch off and then on, the bulb comes up right away and the status is updated immediately. My question is, why do I need to use the pollster app if the status is updated immediately?

That status update isn’t perfect, so Pollster is still useful for bulbs that don’t respond to commands 100% or the hub misses a response.

We did find a message we could use to trigger the “on” when the bulb is manually turned on, but during testing, it didn’t always appear, especially if you have multiple bulbs. I have 15 connected to a single switch, and only 5-7 usually get updated appropriately when manually flipping the switch.

If ST is slow, you have a lot of devices or bulbs, Pollster is still a good security blanket, especially with the updated code for dimming during on/off commands. That option is lost when the bulb loses power, so we reset it during poll() and/or refresh().

Thanks and makes sense. I try to avoid using Pollster when possible as it clogs of the activity logs. I guess I got one of the lucky ones that report immediately! I ordered another bulb for my patio light as well. These are great for certain use cases like outdoor lights that are a pain to change often and have switches that are usually kept on all the time. (due to photocell). They didn’t work well with my Logitech Harmony Hub Remote.

@johnconstantelo,

This has been really useful- this is the first simple ‘mod’ I’ve attempted and it worked just the way you said. Thanks.

I was wondering, and couldn’t see anything on the forums- is there a way of updating all devices of a similar type, rather than individually? SO- can I update all 18 GE link bulbs to device type: GE Link v2 in one move? Or do I indeed need to update each one? And is there a way of making GE Link v2 the type for future bulbs automatically?

Thanks in advance for your help. I think I could get really obsessed about this… :smile:

B

@Bluefishbaker, glad it’s working out for you. Unfortunately you’ll need to update each one, and I don’t know how to make it the default, sorry! Both nice ideas though.

I added two more GE links last week and when they paired they defaulted to this device type

Yup. Once you change the bulbs to this device type, it should become the default for future bulbs (I think it’s based on the fingerprint info during the pair process).

@Sticks18, you beat me to it! Typing on a phone’s keyboard isn’t fast or easy…

Just so I understand, when combining Pollster with this app, when I turn on a GE link bulb in ST and then use the wall switch to turn it off should Pollster update the light’s status to OFF in ST?

No. Only “On” can be detected, as far as I can tell.

In that case, is Pollster ever required in order for this App to get the ON status?

@veni, @ogiewon is right about the OFF state. The bulb has no ability to send that command back to ST. If it had some type of reserve power, like a capacitor (like the mimolite) or a battery, then it could. I wish it did.

Pollster isn’t “required” per se, but it is recommended. Even though the updated device type provides a lot of improvement, for some reason sometimes a bulb’s ON status does not get picked up properly, and then sometimes it’s instant.

it won’t display OFF from the bulb but when pollster polls it after the even it will then be able to tell if it’s ON or OFF

@k3v0, you’ll see OFF in the mobile app only when the bulb is turned off by the mobile app. If it’s manually turned off you can’t get an off status through the mobile app or pollster.