[OBSOLETE][UPDATED as of March 24, 2016] Hue Lights & Groups & Scenes (OH MY!)

Ok. From your log,

it looks as though you have not added the “AP Hue Bridge” device type. You need to add the SmartApp AND ALL of the “AP Hue” device types that are on my GitHub account.

1. Just 3 bulbs, 2 groups, and 0 scenes.

2. Yes, I am using GitHub integration.

Ah, crap. Yes I forgot to go into My Device Handlers to add those. Thanksl!

Ok I downloaded simple control and Hooke it up to Echo and hue…however I don’t understand from here how do I link it with group and what do I do to trigger (voice control it)

I googled and didn’t find what I was looking for

If I understand you correctly if I have a scene named “movie time” I should be able to tell Echo…Alexa set movie time. ? Right? Or am I misunderstanding.

Hi.

I have been using this with my Osram Lightify Par16s (I have a mix of white and rgbw)

I have noticed when selecting a colour temperature that the rgbw bulbs do not take advantage of the white segments of the bulbs - just the rgb section.

I decided to try the official Smartthings Hue app with the same bulbs - it doesn’t turn off the whites (which is a common issue) but when a colour temperature is selected on the rgbw’s it utilises the white channel.

I have tried to find what the difference is between the two apps and device types in groovy but my knowledge of the language is limited.

Is there any way that the logic from the official Hue app for the white channel on the rgbw bulbs could be merged with the code from here?

Or, can you give me some pointers as to where to look myself?

I’ll take a look and try to incorporate.

Thank you so much for your work and support for this app and device handlers - everything works great.

I am just having an issue with some scenes - I really want to have a scene switch to set lights to certain levels/colours, but cannot seem to work it out - I guess some more tinkering is necessary!

Just a general observation, otherwise things hum along. Seems like every time ST has an outage, I have to go back into HLGS (Oh My) and re-connect my hub and lights. I had to do this a few weeks ago and again had to do this this morning. Only this time after I removed my hub and lights from all rules, I couldn’t delete the HLGS to run through it again. I got the dreaded “unexpected error” red banner. Opened a support ticket but haven’t heard anything from Support.

Luckily I was able to remove the hub and lights and re-associate them all and everything is working again as expected. This will just suck when I get more lights into the mix.

I have been thinking about giving this app a try but I have 40+ lamps and
don’t want to go through the headache of removing and reinstalling and
re-creating so many rules with a blip from ST. Are you sure you just don’t
need to re-run the setup to discover the hub and lamps again rather than
remove and re-install? I have tried several other apps to use scenes and
most all just take a quick run back to rediscovering things to get back up
and running.

Let me know, Thanks, Michael

Please don’t let my comments discourage from using this app. It’s a great app and the only one I’ve found that for me at least doesn’t require me adding anything to extend the name of my custom scenes. The Dev is super responsive, open, and extremely helpful.

I think there is more going on in the background of my account hence why I got the red “unexpected error” banner and why I opened a support ticket with ST.

Let me clarify what lead me to have to remove and re-install. Couple of weeks ago after an ST outage, I noticed that my Hue hub wasn’t reporting into the HLGS. When I re-ran the discovery my hub wasn’t found. I thought it may have been a change in IP address on the Hue Hub. It was not. I checked my account connected to the Hue site. No change in IP. So I took everything out of HLGS, deleted the app and re-installed. Everything work flawlessly.

This past weekend, ST again had an outage. I saw that my Hue hub hadn’t checked into HLGS since Friday around 4pm. But to me that wasn’t a big deal as I was gone all weekend. ST had an outage Saturday. It occurred to me that the Hue hub will check in with HLGS regardless of my status. So last night I re-ran discovery on my bulbs, groups, and scenes and saw the Hue hub check in at that time, however I wasn’t able to control anything. The Hub again stopped checking into HLGS. Same thing this morning I re-ran discovery everything was found, but again couldn’t control the lights. So that’s when I removed everything from routines and rule and tried to delete the smartapp to re-install. Then I ran into the dreaded “Unexpected error” banner. At that point since I couldn’t remove the ST. I manually deleted by bulbs and scenes and re-ran discovery. This time after re-discovering everything, I was able to add back into my routines and rules and control the lights.

So I think bottom line is there is possible corruption or errors on the back end of my account, which I’ll ask ST support to look into.

Hope that helps

After the firmware update yesterday all the hue controls became almost totally unresponsive. Looking at the activity feed showed that the hub was not being polled anymore as it normally is. I simply just stepped through the HLGS wizard again, (changing nothing), and everything became operational again.

1 Like

Running the most recent version of the code on the latest v2 firmware is giving me some god awful lag. Like five sometimes closer to ten seconds to turn a hue group on or off. I don’t recall the lag being this bad before. It is possible this is related to the firmware update on Monday but I noticed it more than anything after updating the smartapp code to the latest version from May. I believe I was running the version from March previously. It is hard to say when the issue really started because more often than not I use my Hue remote for direct on/off/brightness control as it’s easier than reach for a phone/tablet.

I’m trying to uninstall HLGS and start from scratch, however, everytime I go to uninstall, it gives me an error stating devices are in use…

How can I go about uninstalling the smartapp? I already opneed the app and deselected all bulbs. I also removed all switches and groups from the “Things” menu.

[EDIT] Figured it out. I had to remove each device individually first.

Yes, that is the type of delay I experience recently too.I just can’t work out how to weed out the root cause. Although I used it only for a short while, the native smartapp and device handlers, whilst not so feature rich, did not cause such delays. I am keen to try the old code, where may I find it?

I just remembered that the Hue bridge itself also experienced a f/w update on Monday eve… I wonder if that played into the now laggy experience that I have…

Fwiw I hadn’t opened my Hue app and ran it’s update until after I started seeing these lag issues last night.

I think we may be able to find older versions of the code on GitHub but I’m uncertain of which exact version I was previously on. I’ll try and do some testing later today and report back.

I have been using HLGS and while I haven’t noticed lag, I have noticed that when using CoRE to turn on and off my Hue lights, that some lights in a group set to turn off will often fail to do so.

I have not yet examined the logs to determine the culprit(s).

Thanks Ryan. I think that I’ll try to muddle through with the existing version. I’m not sure about going back to an older version due to potential regression with bugs etc… Perhaps removing everything and adding again might help. I did notice some odd, repeatable behavior: If I reboot the Hue Hub then everything starts to work very quickly again…

Just came by to chime in that I’m also experiencing this lag. It must have started in the last few days, after I’ve updated to the latest May code as well as having done the Hue Hub update.

Hi all -

Sorry about the delay in responding to the posts about recent lags - I have been on vacation. I’ll take a look at the code this weekend. If anyone can PM me their IDE logs while experiencing such a lag, it would be a great help.

Tony