[OBSOLETE] Hue B Smart (Smart and FAST Hue Lighting)

Since the recent Hue Hub update, this app has become all but useless to me. Although existing scene triggers work, I can’t discover new bulbs, nor are Hue Room Group states kept in sync any longer, becoming mere dumb switches that never update.

Here’s an extract from my log, stuck in a discovery cycle of death:

0d629c1c-2ca4-41fd-8600-3926e40b37fe 11:33:56 PM: trace Bridge discovering all items on Hue hub.
0d629c1c-2ca4-41fd-8600-3926e40b37fe 11:33:42 PM: trace Bridge discovering all items on Hue hub.
0d629c1c-2ca4-41fd-8600-3926e40b37fe 11:33:29 PM: trace Bridge discovering all items on Hue hub.
0d629c1c-2ca4-41fd-8600-3926e40b37fe 11:33:15 PM: trace Bridge discovering all items on Hue hub.
0d629c1c-2ca4-41fd-8600-3926e40b37fe 11:33:02 PM: trace Bridge discovering all items on Hue hub.
0d629c1c-2ca4-41fd-8600-3926e40b37fe 11:32:49 PM: trace Bridge discovering all items on Hue hub.
0d629c1c-2ca4-41fd-8600-3926e40b37fe 11:32:35 PM: trace Bridge discovering all items on Hue hub.
0d629c1c-2ca4-41fd-8600-3926e40b37fe 11:32:21 PM: trace Bridge discovering all items on Hue hub.
0d629c1c-2ca4-41fd-8600-3926e40b37fe 11:32:08 PM: trace Bridge discovering all items on Hue hub.
0d629c1c-2ca4-41fd-8600-3926e40b37fe 11:31:54 PM: trace Bridge discovering all items on Hue hub.

…ad infinitum.

Ditto here … I can’t even remove the items via the app or on the API website. Mine just started 4/13

fcfe8de8-bfae-4ce2-b8c6-43028f13620c  8:28:53 PM: debug Parse returned {{ linkText }} has arrived
0048ad73-9534-45ff-934b-5cae4950f8ab  8:28:51 PM: error physicalgraph.api.StatusCodeException: Invalid http status code returned: 503 @ line 478
0048ad73-9534-45ff-934b-5cae4950f8ab  8:28:51 PM: debug on()
97fa2b31-c24c-4786-afe4-7c0c29c84ff5  8:28:50 PM: error physicalgraph.api.StatusCodeException: Invalid http status code returned: 503 @ line 478
97fa2b31-c24c-4786-afe4-7c0c29c84ff5  8:28:50 PM: debug on()
080aa84f-626e-45f7-bf14-3f23b2b86c3e  8:28:44 PM: error physicalgraph.api.StatusCodeException: Invalid http status code returned: 503 @ line 478

I ultimately did fix this, although my issue was different to yours.

I removed the smart app and all Hue B Smart ‘devices’.

I then re-added the smartapp, but increased the initial discovery timeout from 10 seconds to about 20 minutes. My initial device discovery scrape came back in about 2.5 minutes,

Rebuilding all my automations was a PAIN, but I’m left with properly manageable devices again now, so worth the 2 hours spent.

I just went nuclear and removed the smart app, DTHs, and all my hue devices because the app broke several weeks back and I was unable to figure out how to fix it. Now I’m having trouble with the new installation discovering any devices.

@LupoLoopy How did you change the initial discovery timeout from 10 seconds to 20 minutes? I’m wondering if that will help me, too. Thanks!

To all posters having questions about or problems with HBS within the last few weeks ( @mkmark , @LupoLoopy , @Jason_A , @WB70 , @jasonrwise77 , @M3Rocket, @sulisenator ) -

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner, but I have had to address some personal issues and haven’t even checked the forum for weeks. I will PM each of you so check on whether you still need help. If I overlook a post and you don’t get a PM from me, please feel free to PM me and call me a bozo.

In the meantime, I posted on GitHub new versions of (1) the HBS smartapp, (2) the HBS Bulb DTH, and (3) the Group DTH. The changes are:

Version .9d of HBS Smartapp - fixed the name / label error (thanks @M3Rocket )

Version 1.4 of HBS Bulb and HBS Group DTHs
– Moved scaleLevel from HBS service manager to DTH (less network traffic)
– Removed many log entries (log now significantly less chatty)
– Fixed rounding error for displayed Hue and Saturation values
– Fixed saturation calculation in color conversion (again, thanks @M3Rocket )

@WB70 - the reason why the HBS smartapp is not able to “connect” with your Hue Hub is because the you can NOT integrate your Hue Hub with more than one service manager at a time. This is a limitation built into the ST platform, and there is no way around it.

In order to use Hue B Smart (or any other customized Hue service manager), you will need to delete your existing Hue devices and remove the Hue (Connect) service manager. I understand that may be daunting, but there is no other way to do it. One suggestion is to create a bunch of virtual / dummy devices that can serve as placeholders for the Hue bulbs in your CoRE pistons and/or other automations. That way, you can retain much of the work you have put in.

Hope this clarifies your issues / helps.

-Tony

The most recent ST will capture your new bridge if you add it as a new thing in this way - thereby again making it impossible for another service manager app to be used. Delete everything, and then send me the IDE log of the HBS discovery.

Ok dude – you seem to be fairly negative about something that I published and provided to public for free. I’m sorry you are experiencing such trouble, but remember that the obligation that you have to freely use my app is the same obligation that I have to provide you with free troubleshooting support.

Welcome back Tony - I’ve been saving these questions up until you’re about;

My Ambient bulbs seem to have an issue in that I can’t change the colour temp. It’s listed on screen but nothing can change it.

Do you determine how often ST queries the hub for status, or is this out of your control? If it is controlled is there any ability to speed it up?

And I really do appreciate your app, although it’s something Hue or ST should have created in my opinion.

I appreciate you getting back to all of us. Forgive me for the frustration posts that I made while trying to get this app running over a period of time. If you take a look at one of my posts that wasnt responded to, I went ahead and removed ALL Hue related devices from ST. My Bridge, and all Hue Devices and lighting Smart Apps, and validated that there were no remnants of anything Hue related or otherwise. I had even deleted the HBS App and DTHs from IDE and recreated from scratch and went through the process again and initiated the discovery process from HBS again. The same issue resides where it just continues running and trying to discover the bridge, even waiting hours to see if it would link and it never did. So the same ide logging applies here that i recorded when I initially posted and not knowing that the Hue Bridge and all devices must not exist in ST (because there is nothing in any documentation that I could find anywhere stating that is a prerequisite). While I understand and appreciate the effort that developers put into these things and that they are free, but it doesn’t lessen the frustration when someone attempts to install and run and has no success and follows the instructions as per what is contained in the documentation provided and to not have any response for a long period of time with the exception of a few posters trying to help and contribute based on their trials and tribulations with having to learn the hard way as well because nothing was specified in the docs. Wasn’t trying to bag on you or your product. Was just voicing my frustration over the continued effort I put into this without any success or support on it. I understand as a developer that it’s difficult to develop and maintain, continuously support and document and it’s all for free, but it’s still frustrating on this end when something I thought would fit in the model of what I’m building would work without as much effort that I had to invest and still couldn’t get working. Anyway, I’m over it. No worries and hope all is well from the personal time needed. Take care.

I’ll take a look at the Ambience DTH - this is likely an easy fix.

I do. Its currently determined in line 1148 of the latest version of HBS smartapp:

runEvery5Minutes(doDeviceSync)

If you want to have it occur every minute (i don’t recommend), then change that line to :

runEvery1Minute(doDeviceSync)

If you want to have it occur every x seconds, then change that line to :

runIn(180, doDeviceSync)

the number 180 above is telling it to sync every 180 seconds.

Brilliant - thanks for both of them!

Why don’t you recommend that you run it every minute? Just out of interest?

Thanks. I totally understand your frustration. I’ve been there. Saul Good.

I thought you also said that you ended up added the bridge? If you delete that, and then try again, and it still doesn’t work, then PM me the IDE log for the HBS app and I’ll try to take a look at what could be the issue.

Also - do you have v1 or v2 Hue Hub? what software build? What model of ST hub? iOS or Android?

I will create alot of traffic between the two hubs which is no problem at all but then SmartThings will have to process the information in the cloud which could effect other automation on your hub with added lag.

I wish Philips would add a push function and then ST Hubs wouldnt have to pull at all other than heath checks

I personally don’t want to clog up either Hub (ST and Hue) with a complete refresh of my 25 bulbs, 7 groups, and 11 scenes. Plus, I don’t use any external app (I rely exclusively on my ST automations) to control my lighting, so the light states should be updated within a few seconds of any action.

Unless you are also using an external app or Hue Tap - which would cause light states to change without updating the ST system - to control your lights, I’d advise leaving the sync as is.

I’ve been holding my breath since 2014.

This is my problem I have the Hue Dimmer switches [quote=“infofiend, post:318, topic:60672”]
I’ve been holding my breath since 2014.
[/quote]

That sucks, i’m really surprised they haven’t never understood the pull method and when having devices like the Hue tap and dimmers it makes them useless with smartthings my house is nearly fully automated now so there only used as backup devices really

The comment about adding the bridge was after my failed attempts with HBS, I stated that when adding my bridge back into ST it found it immediately and had no issues discovering. Was more of a statement that ST has no issues finding the bridge.

I performed this (with hue bridge and everything removed) after the firmware upgrade to 17.12(v2) and I am running Android.

Now that I know you are back in action, I will try and find some time over the next couple weeks to implement again.

Thanks again.

Hue Dimmer on my setup, but got some new cheaper Ikea Tradfri lights as well.

Got some Xiaomi switches and hoping for the Tradfri switch DH to be created soon.

I have tried myself though it was above my capabilities without ikea releasing its full zigbee documentation for the device I think its unlikely but you never know what someone else can do

I wish I’d picked up one to try myself now. As long as they’re not doing something insane with encoding then it should be possible, but just time consuming to work out what is changing between each press being captured.