[UPDATED 3/27/18] GCal Search

Take a look at the instructions and my previous posts. This error has been covered already.

Install the GCal Search smartapp first then install the Search Trigger app. The DTHs can be installed together at the same time.

I know this error was mentioned before butā€¦I am not able to create triggers, unexpected error has occurred.

This is a new install directly via GitHub integration. Does not appear to be an auth issue. From the logs, I donā€™t think the trigger smart app can determine which type I am selecting. Live Logging Below:

Any ideas? @infofiend

Edit:
Attaching logs from GCal Search SmartApp as well in case it is useful

I am using the Classic App, apparently if you use the new App Triggers are created successfully.
ĀÆ_(Ā°_Ā°)_/ĀÆ

Hello all! Just installed this and looks great but do have a few questions

• Creating triggers for events that are not in the calendar yet does not end up creating a switch. Does an entry need to exist for the sequence to complete and from there it will look for any future instances of that search string? Or is each entry and search string a one time switch creation?
  • If there are multiple entries for a similar event, ie; sports team schedule, once the current one has passed will the device switch update to the next upcoming entry and if so whats that sync/update interval?
  • For lack of a better explanation, it appears that once a trigger has been created successfully with a search string that has returned a result the device/switch will have been created. It will then sit in your device list and turn on at start time and off at end time. Once the end time has passed it looks for a future entry of that search string and updates?

I have not seen this behavior - maybe someone else has info. But I usually already have the test calendar item in my calendar before I create the trigger.

It will sit and wait to turn on again the next time a matching calendar event happens with the correct search string

Basically - yes. This is correct.

So I had an event that passed last night and switch worked great. The device though does not seem to have updated to the next calendar instance though for that search string. Any idea if I have a setting overlooked or mistake made somewhere?

edit. Think I might have figured it out. It appears that it auto selects the last calendar you used in a new search string when you modify an old search string. The two for me in this case were different. Re-testing now.

1 Like

Hello, I recently started using the GCal search app + webCoRE to provide voice notifications of upcoming calendar events on multiple google calendars on my google home devices. The core piston runs when the calendar ā€œphysical deviceā€ opens, and this generally works well. However I notice that throughout the day, the device ā€œopensā€ up to eight minutes after the calendar entry has started (thus delaying the voice notification).

I think this delay is caused in smartthings (I am using the classic app) but I cannot determine why it is happening. Is this is a known issue, or are there any suggestions?

I have also explored using an approach like Ryan780 suggested to look at the eventTime to trigger a notification, but this has a similar issue when I have back-to-back calendar entries and the gcal app is not updating from google calendar on schedule.

Thank you for any tips or ideas.

Just thinking out loudā€¦

1. Internet latency of late.
  2. How rapidly is your piston firing with ā€œback-to-backā€ calendar entries?

Thank you for the reply. Interestingly the problem seems to get worse throughout the day; reminders fire on schedule in the morning, but by late afternoon they are eight minutes late (and so far never more than eight minutes behind). The delay seems to be in the GCal app itself vs. webcore (i.e. the device ā€œopensā€ late in the smartthings app).

Thinking much like a bunch of other apps this one is going to bite the dust in the near future with the sunset of classic app. None of my triggers have updated since I migrated and removed the classic app. Just making sure someone else is seeing the same thing or has come up with a (temp) work around?

Mine works fine in both classic and new. This fortunately does not rely on custom device presentations so the app version has basically no effect on its operation.

So we troubleshoot why the triggers dont work independently of which app you use.

That said. Whats your filter and can you get to the base Google calendar that supports your trigger through an Ical?

Well thats good news!

Just a word search. I use this to read football games off of a Google calendar that I have populated.

Not sure what you mean here. From the app I can see the particular calendar that I want to reference. But the way I read your question is whether I can populate an Apple Calendar with my active google one?

Couple more notes.

• In the new app I cannot delete an old trigger/search. After having clicked delete it does nothing. Which makes me weary about if I make any changes to existing searches whether that really takes effect or not.
  • I also appear to not be able to make any new searches, after the final step of creating a new search it just sits and spins at the processing page.
  • In the new app it only displays power and switch data for each search. The extra data such as the result of the search can only be viewed in the IDE.

For first two of the last three points, mine isnā€™t doing that. Iā€™ll go back and check if somethingā€™s changed.

For the LAST one to see THAT stuff the custom device handler will have to be modified to show it. The beta that enables that is going on now. So give that a couple weeksā€¦ But it shouldnā€™t stop your trigger from working.

ok there is a new behavior here. Mine hung on creating a new event (test in a calendar I already had access to) during the device creation process. Iā€™ll take a look and see why. BUT if I canceled out and came back in to edit the new trigger it worked just fine. AND I verified it triggered properly.

EDIT: I ran through it again to test and capture the logs and it flew through no problemā€¦

So I made a new one, got to the processing page, let it sit for a minute, backed out and came back into the app. You are correct that the new search is now there. And when looking in the IDE I see it has the correct data. So thats good.

I tried deleting another one and after hitting delete let it sit for a second. The app then went back to the main list of searches/triggers with the deleted item not showing. Backing out of the app and closing it, I waited a few minutes and reopened the app and smartapp, deleted search is now back.

1 Like

Are you familiar with live logging in the IDE? What happens in Livelogging when you try to delete and it fails / hangs. do you see any errors?

This is what I get from that device when trying to delete it;

So based on that I went to that device in my IDE because it wasnt showing in the app besides in the list within that smartapp. From the IDE is said Alexa (somehow?) was still using it. Weird because I dont push anything through Alexa. Back to the device in the device list, deleted it there, back to the smartapp, deleted it there again. Closed everything, reopened and it appears that we are all good.

1 Like

Something else I have now noticed. Making changes to existing searches in the smartapp didnt seem to take. So then going to that device in the IDE still showed the outdated data (calendar to reference for example). Clicked on edit for that device, made zero changes, hit save and the device now had the correct calendar/data.

So it seems that it is sending the new info from the smartapp somewhere but have to edit/refresh the device in the IDE for it take effect.

1 Like