[UPDATED 3/27/18] GCal Search

Hi Guys,

When clicking to enter Credentials, I get “Invalid Token”. Please let me know how to fix this.

Thank you,

Never-mind it started to work by it self, or it could be that i had extra space at the end of secret “Secret”

Ok, How do i use this not to trigger “Gentle Wake Up” on days my kids have off from school…

I already have the events on calendar as “No School”…

Thank you for your help!

So I assume that your Gentle Wake Up is triggered by a gCal Event Sensor turning on. If so, then all you need to do is enter a filter in the gCal trigger that manages that sensor. For example, if you only want events that are titled “School Day”, then put that filter in (make sure to include the quotes otherwise it will pull in any event that has either the word No or the word School in the title).

Another way to filter events is to use a search term to exclude events (meaning that the sensor will be triggered by every event in your calendar but the events with the search term. To do this, all you need to do is put a minus sign before the search term. In your case, -“No School”

Currently only one search term can be used.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

That extra space was the culprit! Glad you found it.

Thank you for explanation, but i think i am jumping a head without fully understanding how it works.

I did configure “No School” Event and that works, but how do you configure “No School/gCal Event Sensor” to trigger anything? could not find anything in mobile app?

Also “Gentle Wake Up” is another SmartApp by ST and get trigger by it self, on specific days of the week at specific time…

Thank you.

Hi Infofiend,

Here is my first attempt at WebCoRE Piston, please let me know if i am on the right track.

Thank you,

@Borik -

Yes. You are on the right track.
Suggestions - if you have a GCal event sensor that only triggers on school days (whether because of a filter using events labeled “school day” or perhaps subscribing to all events of a calendar except those titled “no school”), then all you need to do is to trigger the lights to turn on when the contact sensor changes to on. In other words, there really shouldn’t be a need for the Date & Time filter once you have the GCal sensor set up.

Also - Make sure you use a trigger such as “changes to”, rather than a condition such as “is” - as it will cause webCoRE to automatically subscribe to the state change.

I also have the same issue. Did you find a fix?

What issue?

The fix for the post you linked to, was further down the thread. He was using out of date versions.

I think that’s the conversation your referring to.

1 Like

Im sorry, noob in the forum.
I got the Error: “We cant seem to create a child device, did you install the GCal Event Sensor device handler.”
Edit: It worket!

I followed the same stapes yesterday as now, but I used a mac. To day its working.

2 Likes

UPDATED gCal Event Sensor version 20180327.2
added startOffset and endOffset attributes;
these can be set by new commands setStartoffset() and setEndoffset()
(Keep in mind that if you modify these attribute, they will always override the offSets in the gCal Trigger parent app!)

Hi.
Using the icalformat to describe calendar attirbutes;
What atributes in an calendar event do the startOffset and endOffset get its data from?
DTSTART; - DTEND; (which is the event start and end time)? Or the TRIGGER attribute?

The trigger attribute in the ical event:
BEGIN:VALARM
TRIGGER:-PT60M
ACTION:DISPLAY
DESCRIPTION:Reminder
END:VALARM

Using this attribute would be awesome, as I wished for a few posts above.I envision two possible settings in the gcal app:
For the search part, a checkbox for “Any event that has a reminder”, so that all informational events (witout remnders) are ignored
For the event handler part in the offset part: A checkbox for “Use event reminder offset”, that would take the value from the iCal OFFSET attribute and use as offset in GCal Search.

I’m not familiar with the iCal format, but the gCal sensors are triggered by the event start & end - so I guess DTSTART and DTEND. The offsets were intentionally not tied to the reminders, but I can see how it might appeal to some…

The ICAL standard is basically (a gross understatement and simplification) a XML representation of the Google calendar API standard:
https://developers.google.com/calendar/v3/reference/events vs. https://icalendar.org/

So even though you’re not familiar with ical, you are working with it through google :slight_smile: Google just take care of the file structure on their side, so that you just need to bother with the API attribute/variable pairs.

Using the offset (or google api: reminders.overrides[].minutes) in the would resolve a few things down to one search in stead of several separate ones, and automatically set an offest according to my event based reminder. But knowing what attributes you are using helps a lot in automating things (like : “if event > 12 hours, ignore”, “if (event.start -> event.end) < 12 hours, set offset = event.start -2”. Yep, I work 12 hours shifts at times:D). This do not solve everything I want, but most of them.

(BTW: not working code examples, consider pseudocode and an idea at best)

Is there anyway for the presence sensor to turn from not present to present 2 hours before the event time actually occurred? (not a notification popup, but to become present 2 hours before event). I’m trying to run a webcore piston that gets triggered by presence sensor becoming present 2 hours before event actually occurs.

For me using presence sensor as the type doesn’t really create a presence sensor. It doesn’t show as an option ST routines for I’m back presence sensors for example. Is that what you guys see as well?

Yeah I’m seeing the same - because of this I can’t add it in via WebCore.

@infofiend Are we doing anything wrong with your new implementation of GCal?

The contact sensor for the event seems to work fine but i can’t use that contact for any routines, its not even possible to add that device to webcore.

Are you saying you can’t see the contact sensors in Webcore?
Like this:

Yeah that’s right. I cant select them in the WebCore settings, which means I can’t use them…