[UPDATED 3/27/18] GCal Search

This is very helpful. I’ll compare the changes between versions. Thanks again.

1 Like

Your welcome,

I am just trying to help. This app is great and the fact your trying to fix and improve on it is awesome.

I wish I knew how to code and read it so I could help more. I did do a comparison there are a bunch of changes but it was all greek to me.

Groovy, not Greek…

1 Like

Other things I played with to give you more feedback.

I successfully got the app to send me a message using SMS at the correct message time so that is working. I had to put a +1 in front of the cell number to get it working.

I also wrote a basic Core piston to capture the “offsetNotify” attribute changing state to “on” and used it to send a test message via SMS from core successfully.

I was still unsuccessful at trying to write some of the other attributes into a Core variable for use later. Like the event name and such. I am still tinkering with that since I am not very good with core or this app. There is some trial and error learning going on.

Ok, I’ve taken a look at the different versions (paying close attention to differences between 0326.1 and 0327.1).

There aren’t a lot of changes in those 2 trigger apps, and nothing immediately popped out as the culprit – BUT I think I figured it out. I’ll need your help though, since my stuff works here.

On lines 136-40 of v0327 - you should see the following:

if (childCreated()){
          	section ("Tap the button below to remove this trigger and corresponding switch"){}
	        }
    	}
    }

Change those lines to this:

}

if (childCreated()){
           	section ("Tap the button below to remove this trigger and corresponding switch"){}
	    }        	
    }

Then on line 81, add this to the end of the stuff inside the parenthesis

, refreshInterval:5

Then save. I’ll bet two bits that it works. Let me know.

-Tony

Okay, I can try that but I’m a little confused?? Happens ALOT!!

I was changing out the Gcal Event Sensor DTH, I was not changing out the trigger app.

Also in my trigger app I have this on lines 134 - 149, so you want me to remove 2 of the brackets?

Also this is what I have around line 81?

I am also curious why yours works but mine doesn’t??
Am I the only person who is having this issue?
If so why is my code different or not working?

I just updated the Trigger app and both DTHs.

This version of the Trigger app was based on the 0326 version. The preferences are now laid out over 3 pages instead of 1 big one. I addressed the refreshing error (which was causing null devices) and also fixed a time error that caused Google events from noon-1pm to not work.

If this version doesn’t help you either (and I really hope that it does), then its probably because of some weird conflict with one of the older triggers you set up from an earlier version. You’ll likely spend substantially less time going that route than trying to salvage your existing triggers.

Also - check for null devices in the IDE. I found like 2 dozen that the older version had created. You’ll need to delete those manually.

-Tony

1 Like

It works! That fixed the long term issues I was having. Sorry we weren’t able to connect to get it sorted sooner, but it now appears to be working like it supposed to. At least, I can build triggers now…guess it’s up to CoRE to make my alarm go off in the AM. Thanks!

1 Like

Glad to hear that! I hope that this clears up everyone’s issues!

I can create triggers now, I just get an error on the last screen. Will pop up red across top saying there was an error please try again. Upon 2nd push of done it finishes.

I’ll try to grab live logging later to see what it is. I might have to just clear it all out and set it up clean and recreate my original triggers.

Thanks for the update @infofiend :slight_smile:

If your using Android. You can use tasker with a couple of plug ins and gentle alarm to manage your alarm based in Google calender.

I haven’t set an alarm in a while now. It checks it every might at 9pm and sets it on or off.

I am curious about the CoRE integration (webCoRE).

When designing a Piston to trigger upon the happening of an event setup as a contact sensor what should the trigger be: Switch, Contact (on/off) (open/close)?

I would recommend using open/close (it is a contact sensor), but either should work.

Yes, but the device does not currently show a status. When the event occurs does the sensor show open?

My icon turns from gray to green when active

Just got GCal Search installed and working - great app which I can see me using a lot.

Quick question. Is it possible to have GCal Search trigger presence or switches in advance (or after) of an event? My Use case is I want to boost my hot water early, outside of my schedule if I’m working. For instance, if GCal Search finds a match on ‘Flight to …’, have the presence change to present x minutes before the start of the calendar event?

Thanks

Yes but does that mean open or closed?

I believe it is green=open=active (event on calendar is occuring)

Hope thats right

Possibly you could set up the event to trigger a message. You could then use the attribute for it mentioned in an earlier post.

Event DTH called “offsetNotify”. The offsetNotify attribute can be used by and/or changed in CoRE, and it:

• turns on if there is a startMsg and
  • turns off at the earlier of endMsg or end of event.

So if you set up your message to occur 30 minutes before the event, then use that to perform your action.

I successfully did this once as a test using Core. I since then have removed the piston and am not really sure how I did it. I haven’t been working on smartthings stuff much lately (life and work getting in the way) if you cant figure it out hopefully I can help some.

@sharky - yes, you can use the attribute “offsetNotify” to do that just as @TN_Oldman stated above.