Update to SmartThings Groovy Transition

What does this mean? That SmartLighting no longer works? :wink: Because thatā€™s what it means for me. As of two days ago two automations (outside lights on/off with sunset/sunrise) are no longer triggering. The scenes behind work just fine if I run them manually.

Do you have the new Smart lighting or the old?

The old one was based on Groovy and is most likely now dead.

Smart Lighting was one of a couple of Groovy SmartApps that Samsung recreated, mostly, for the new architecture. Both the old and new versions are region-locked, not available everywhere.

More info in this thread

1 Like

May not be dead yet! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I failed to remember that!

Iā€™m one of the lucky ones whose Smart Lighting automations are all magically migrated to the new Smart lighting around a month ago.

1 Like

How do you know if your SmartLighting smart app has been transitioned to the new version?

New Smart lighting app:

1 Like

I dont think that is the only indicator, the new version can be installed alongside the groovy version, it is the automations within that indicate if you have been moved, if your groovy automations in SL appear in the tiny text version, then you have been moved

New version you need reading glasses

Old version no reading glasses

Standard Smartthings UI design
ā€˜How can we make this bit worseā€™

3 Likes

I have the tiny text, but only one instance of the smartapp ā€™Smart Lightingā€™, and old graphic next to its name (not the light bulb). Iā€™m UK based

Thats just weird lol

im Uk as well but have both

Can someone just point me in the direction of knowing how to move my locks and thermostats over to new Edge drivers without having to re-pair them into ST? I have SLGA installed, I can use it to generate codes, but am seeing inconsistent behavior with the existing custom DHs that still show up in the ST app. Iā€™ve read about excluding the ā€œlock/thermostatā€™s fingerprintā€ in the web, but am just trying to confirm if thatā€™s whatā€™s needed and if by doing that Iā€™m going to have a critical production device drop offline in the process.

The entire point of waiting until the ā€œofficialā€ transition was promoted as the promise of an automatic transition for lose devices. That seems to have resulted in what feels like a shell of IOT devices whoā€™s status is entirely unclear.

Only way is to wait for ST to migrate them. Otherwise you would need to exclude/remove them and add them back.

1 Like

Thanks @jkp so maybe I interpreted the notice above wrong. I read it as a sequential process where migration = complete when SmartApps are shutdown, but now that I re-read it it sounds like devices and SmartApps migrating at different times, which makes this intermediary time when devices kinda-sorta-work pretty challenging.

Groovy devices and SmartApps will sunset soon once we have completed migrations (Note: Groovy SmartApps and Devices may be sunset at different times).

1 Like

Itā€™s changed from the initial announcement in September 2022.

Originally it was planned to be sequential, with devices completing their migration by December 31, 2022, and smartapps continuing on for a little bit after that.

But then they ran into some issues with the migration and developing some of the stock drivers and they ended up postponing the changeover date for devices to sometime in first quarter 2023. But, as you noticed, appear to have kept the original plan for shutting off groovy hosting for smartapps. So here we are. :thinking:

3 Likes

Thanks @JDRoberts. Thatā€™s a far more helpful and succinct description of whatā€™s happening than anything Iā€™ve seen officially posted here. I probably just need to get more familiar with SharpTools, since that seems to be the path that many others are using to replicate the kind of conditional workflows, triggers, and calendar integrations that we previously had in the commercial SmartThings apps.

2 Likes

Thanks. Iā€™ll admit I find it Annoying that there hasnā€™t been an official change log for the migration plan. instead, they go in and quietly edit the original announcement post without doing anything to call attention to the changes. Itā€™s only when sharpeyed community members spot them that the changes become part of the general conversation.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info - I donā€™t know which version I had (how would you even tell), I simply got rid of it and replaced it with an automation using the existing scenes. Old vs new, should have been migrated if my automations were based on the old one. Oh well.

I know itā€™s been said many times before and Iā€™m just piling on, but this is just a terrible customer experience. No in app notices, vague details published, no clear migration tooling. Itā€™s just frustrating. Not something thatā€™s ready for the average customer who doesnā€™t want to or canā€™t deal with the complications of the IOT mess.

1 Like

This afternoon, all of my automations disappeared. While I presume this is a result of the transition, most were developed in the last 120 days using the mobile interface and no exotic logic. I can understand that some - alarm and the garage interface - would disappear. But loss of 49 out of 49, most using time and local sensors as triggers. No webcore.
What am I missing that all automations go away?

1 Like

Same here, but if I go to an individual device and look at the routines I see them, but I am not able to edit them. Iā€™m assuming this might be related to the firmware update that got pushed out today. I am hoping they return soon. Also, the new Smart Lighting app disappeared for me as wellā€¦

All regions say ā€œHubs, Devices, Automationsā€ are ā€œUnder Maintenanceā€ right now, so Iā€™ll sit tight and see.

1 Like

tmielonen
Thanks for the information, would never have looked there. You saved me and probably a lot of other users.
That they are functioning - yeah! Now to see what didnā€™t make the grade and need reprogramming. Funny why they are removed, even when created by the system within system rules.
The new routines interface should at least have a ā€˜cleanā€™ template instead of only the pre-filled use cases - like vacuuming or cooking.!

1 Like

I have the same issue. Routines do not appear on automations page but they are listed with there devices.

Both of my hubs are still on firmware 45.11