UPDATE REQUEST - Have ST Geofence controlling multiple Arlo Cameras

When I select the routine Goodbye! in the ST app…I notice if I navigate to the Things area of the ST app…the front door camera and garage camera change to ACTIVE.

When I select the routine I’m Back! in the ST app…I notice if I navigate to the Things area of the ST app…the front door camera and garage camera change to INACTIVE.

These sound like they are working right. However, even with this as a true statement, the Arlo app shows the garage camera always as “The camera is currently disabled” regardless of what the ST app says under Things.

@tims0891

Tim, I think we are making progress. In the Smartthings App Inactive means that the cameras are off and not detecting motion.

Now go into the Things select each camera, turn it on manually. You will have a black window that now says Active on the top and Smartthings at the bottom.and you will see a curved arrow in the center of the black window. Click on it and a rotating wheel will start spinning. THIS MIGHT TAKE A WHILE. You will see at the top of the window in green text “Connecting.” When it stops you are able to see a live view of the camera.

If you can get to see the live view from the camera, we should be nearly there.

@tims0891
I read your last post a little bit more slowly and it appears that everything is working properly. In the Goodbye routine the two cameras should be Active. In the I"m Back routine the cameras should be Inactive. In Arlo both the cameras should be disabled as Smartthings turned the cameras off. Both cameras should have been set to be off with the green switch.

If you have them both turned off in Arlo and allow the Goodbye routine to turn them on, the only thing left to do now is to set the Goodbye routine and walk in front of each camera Your motion will trigger everything to start happening and in a minute or so you should have a video from each camera in Arlo, If you have set them ip in SHM, you should get an intrusion alert and text messages from both Smartthings and Arlo.

1 Like

@tims0891

So here is how the cameras should work. In the Smartthings Disarmed state, both Cameras should be turned off in Arlo and should show disabled. Smartthings will also show them as Disabled and in the Things section the cameras will be Inactive.

Turn on the Goodbye routine. Both cameras In Arlo and in Smartthings will still show Disabled, but in the Things section of Smartthings they now show Active, as they ar now awake, but no motion has been detected. The minute motion is detected you will get a text message from Arlo and another one from Smartthings, An big red intrusion alert will show up on the Main page of Smartthings.

Now turn on the I’m Back routine and the cameras will go back to being Disabled and in Things they will show Inactive.

You should now have two videos in Arlo and if you click on the red Intrusion Alert in Smartthings you will be taken to a page where you can dismiss the alert. You should also have the videos on that Smartthings page that you can view, (Some people can not get the videos to show up in Smartthings, but mine do).

1 Like

I followed the instructions. I am able to see the front door camera. I am not able to see the Garage camera.
ST doesn’t seem to be able to stream live the Garage camera.
**Side note, when I go into Arlo app (ST aside)… I can view live on either camera.
So is the range fine for Arlo hub to Garage camera but not for the ST hub to the Camera?

I am trying to do what you said. Honestly…no offense to all of everyones help but this should not be this d**n difficult to achieve.

ST app routine is set to Goodbye! and only the Front Door camera comes on in the Arlo app. I walked by the camera and nothing indicated video recording or the night lights coming on or an alert…nothing.

I understand what the cameras should be doing and understand the settings and what they should be. That makes sense to me, however…one or the other apps does not seem to work, plain and simple.
I have no clue how you got yours to work, however, I would;t change anything cause you may loose it.

I even tried the IFTTT process and that would not arm or disarm based on my phone location.

I apologize, I am so frustrated with this whole process…again it shouldn’t be this d**n difficult.

@tims0891

I agree with you Tim, I did not have the problems you are having. I can understand your frustration. I would be too. At this point I am stumped, but all I have been trying to do is to isolate the problem as to whether it is a Smart things problem or an Arlo problem. I am convinced that it is the latter as Smartthings only acts as a switch just as your wall switch turns on a light - nothing more. All the video is done by Arlo.

I could not get one of my cameras to record video at first and it was the farthest away. I brought the cameras close to the hub and both cameras started working as they should. Then I moved them further away and voila they worked fine when I mounted.

The Arlo website was also changing my settings but soon it settled down.

Please try to see if you can get them working close to the hub. Maybe that camera is defective. I will try to help you as long as you don’t give up

Brian

@tims0891

Let’s eliminate Smartthings for now. Set the two cameras on a table within 20 feet ot the Arlo Hub. Set the Arlo app to Armed and turn on both cameras with the green switch. In this situation Arlo will record a video every time there is motion. Now set up rules for the Armed Mode.

In the rules setup there is a way to view the cameras live to assist in placing them. Can you see both cameras live view?

If you can see the live view for each camera then we know that the cameras are not defective.

Next Walk past the cameras. Each camera should record a video, although you will need to wait until the recording has completed for the videos to show up where you can view them.

Did that work?

1 Like

ok… I am in Arlo app on the web access (not the app).
Currently I am on the Devices page. Currently both cameras are ON
I see both cameras in the preview screen with the big play button in the center.
I push PLAY on both and I see live streams of both cameras.
Both cameras have great signal bars. Both have more than 90% battery level.

Yes, both cameras record video when motion is present in the ARMED mode.

@tims0891 - At this point I am suspecting you either have interference or something metal between the Arlo Hub and the garage that is blocking the signal. If you don’t want to move the porch camera place the garage camera inside near the porch door to run these tests.

But if that is true about interference… why can I stream live video in Arlo app and why can it record with motion and send the feed to the Arlo hub? Wouldn’t interference cause the Arlo hub to not communicate with the camera in the garage and no live stream would be achievable?

I now have the garage camera in next to me 3 feet away from the hubs. All equipment is within 5 feet of each other.

@tims0891 - If I understand you correctly, you are getting videos from both cameras when there is motion at each camera in the Arlo Armed Mode. Is this correct?

Now this is weird… I removed the Garage camera from ST app…completley deleted it out.
When I went out to the garage to remove the camera and came back inside there was an alert saying there was motion in the garage. I saw the recorded video of me reaching for the camera in the garage which is the farthest distance away.

ST does not have my garage camera in the app… the Arlo app has the mode set to SmartThings.

Weird

@tims0891 - great. Now that it is removed from Smartthings, put it back up and walk in front of it again and see if you get the message again.

The garage camera is sitting right next to me. ST app does not have it in the system. Arlo is set to Smart Things mode and wen I wave my hand in front of the camera Arlo app notifies me of movement in garage and it records video.

So this is the Arlo app doing this action, correct?

@tims0891 - Yes. Now put it back and try movement again and see if it works again.

Yes, when the camera is in the garage it notifies me of movement and records video in the Arlo app.
I want to bring the camera back in next to everything else and continue so that distance is eliminated as a possibility (for now)

@tims0891 - OK. Let me think for a couple of minutes as what to try next. But at least we know that the camera is working as it should in the Arlo app.

1 Like

Agreed. Am I able to test the ST app with the Front door camera first and make sure it is set correctly?
Garage camera not at this time.