UPDATE: Recent SmartThings User Experience & Platform Performance

It doesnt seem to do that if he last check was on the same day - just tried it again - I would expect a ‘firmware update started’ event but there wont be any … will keep an eye on it but so far pulled the battery 3 times today and only on the first time which was like 4hrs ago I saw that event after that the sensor went offline for 3hrs …

Edit: it doesnt give that event but a ‘firmware updated’ after its completed it just did …

I had 10 remaining motion sensors which had not updated automatically out of 22. Of the 10 which i reseated all of them updated within the hour when left next to the hub. Strangely I had no issues with the above process.

1 Like

@r4nd0m It’s possible that with enough attempts you could end up hitting logic on the hub that will prevent a given device from attempting for 24 hours if the update has failed to complete 3 times in a 24 hour time period. This logic is present in order to avoid a device on the edge of connectivity from attempting to update until its battery has been completely drained (at least, in a very short period of time). For devices in this initial update (SmartSense devices manufactured by Centralite), this logic is typically superflous (as the devices on check in once every 24 hours), but if the device is checking in multiple times due to a battery pull, the logic could still be triggered.

The 24-hour “blacklist” is stored in RAM, so if you really want to force a blacklisted device to update sooner, a hub reboot will clear that state.

As we add OTA for more devices in the future, the limit of 3 failures in a 24 hour period with a backoff of 24 hours may be modified as we see fit to avoid the very negative user experience of having a device drained due to failed OTA attempts.

3 Likes

I think I’m seeing something similar here. I just went out of the house today for 3 hours and had 16(!) false motion alerts across different sensors around the house.
I’ve had this setup for close to a year with almost none. On the rare occasion I get one or two but not this many in 3 hours. Luckily I have cameras I could check.
@posborne This is not right considering I’ve not moved the location of my motion sensors in this long.

Ok so I dont seem to be alone with this then … thanks for confirming - its odd as it seems only to be in areas that are usually completely quiet …

I was out for 3hrs myself but didnt had any luckily but I was woken up by plenty this morning …

All my devices are fully up to date already so I’ve just disabled OTA on the hub to see if the situation improves. If it weren’t for the fact I have a lot of cameras around the house I would have been extremely concerned!!

Ok. Fill me on… Where is the of ota option?

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/215394303-ZigBee-OTA-firmware-updates

1 Like

So did I just now …

Thanks, I was looking in the mobile app.

1 Like

Is this the thread where we air our grievances? I have two support tickets in for 1) failure of a group of routines and 2) now complete loss of control over the devices in those routines.

The routines were very simple - turn a group of lights on or off at sunrise/sunset etc. The only real scheduled routine I have. And now it isn’t functioning. We come home from the hospital last night and expect the lights to be on - nothing.

Really losing patience quickly, waiting for Google Home to open up their API to other hubs so we can find something that works.

EDIT - my hub is a brick now. Nothing at all is working.

Please DM your ticket numbers and I’ll see if we can get some attention on this

1 Like

ever since the latest updates, the app response has become even slower… takes about 30 sec to 1 min to populate the device list under things, earlier it would take under 20 sec (have over 70 devices)

I wouldn’t mind this so much had they not made the device view (vs rooms) the default…

2 Likes

Yes! It really needs to go back to Rooms.

1 Like

I couldn’t agree with that more. Plus having the other thing at the bottom of the things list when you have a lot of items really stinks. I believe that it should be the plus button back up on the top of it made it a lot easier to add stuff

3 Likes

The app has become somewhat of a purgatory for me. Launching into things was bad, so I’m glad that is fixed. However, the things takes even longer to load now. Scrolling down through 275 things to get to the add thing button is ludicrous. Why can’t the add thing still be in the hamburger menu too?

Seriously, they need to hire some real UX people.

6 Likes

Is anyone else having problems with the SmartApps? It takes 30 seconds to 1 minute for the devices to trigger. it used to be a few seconds. Even when I toggle the device in the Android App it takes a long time for them to react.

Is it just my system or is Smartthings actually getting worse again? It getting a little tiring.

BTW: Why isn’t there an HTML version of smartthings? It would so much easier to than having to use my phone for most of the adding devices and apps. Really, why isn’t there a web-app?

They definitely need to place “Add a Thing” back in the hamburger menu. I went to add a device the other day and it is ridiculous that I had to scroll through my entire device list to find it. It isn’t even in the Rooms view either, which is a strange decision.

4 Likes

Apparently “we” asked for it and Smartthings listened. I have no idea why anyone would prefer to scroll through everything every single device first before adding something.

1 Like