UPDATE: Recent SmartThings User Experience & Platform Performance

Contact sensors not reporting since last night at 1:56 am.

Is anyone else having this problem my iris keypads and my contact sensors stopped communicating last night. I first noticed I couldn’t arm my alarm with the keypad. Then noticed front door showed open. I tried doing a reset and removed battery still no luck. After a full reset of the HuB still no luck. I then noticed it wasn’t just the front door but numerous contact sensor will not communicate. Removing battery and trying to reset will not help. Is it possible I have this many bad devices at the same time?

Any help.

It looks like you’re not the only one:

JD,

Is there something I can try or should I just wait it out and see if it fixes its self. I also noticed my ge wink bulbs that I have had over a year with little or none disconnect issues but just in the last week I am resetting bulbs on a daily basses. Do the bulbs go bad after time? Should I just by bulbs that are supported?

My personal experience with GE link bulbs has been awful. I started out with eight of them and eventually ended up replacing all of them with Hue whites ( connected to a hue bridge) and all of my bulb problems went away then. I know there are other people using them successfully, but there are a lot of people who have problems as well.

So you may have two separate problems, the bulbs and then schedules failing, which seems to be new this week.

If it was me, I would report the schedule problems to support and get rid of the bulbs. :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Thank you, support it is.

2 Likes

@Richy - If you haven’t already, please send a note to support with your account information and the approximate time when the automations failed. We’ll look into this right away.

1 Like

I agree with @JDRoberts on the bulb use. I started out with around 30 of the GE bulbs… hated them. Once the hue whites dropped in orifice i replaced all of my bulbs and the problems have gone away. It actually cleared up done of my zigbee issues as well.

2 Likes

Think generally speaking that direct attached zigbee bulbs are not great in Smartthings. As they’re powered, they integrate into the mesh but apparently their capabilities are very limited and end up causing problems relaying to others in the mesh. The more zigbee devices you have relying on this the bigger the problem gets.

According to ST engineering staff, the repeater problem seems to be specific to some brands. At least they haven’t seen any problems with the Cree bulbs in their own testing. They have seen it with Osram, WeMo, and GE. But GE has yet another problem, which is just dropping off the network.

1 Like

Do I have to use the hue bridge or can I just buy the bulbs.

You can buy just the bulbs but when you connect a hue bulb to anything other than a hue hub you will be forced to buy another remote to reset the bulbs if ever needed.

I recommend just buying the hub.

Uhm…ouch?!

5 Likes

Thank you I sent a note to support and also my debug report.

1 Like

Wow, thanks James, that is helpful. I like the things you came up with. I can see using a Vantage Switch and Dimmer and maybe a Group. I don’t have any sensors tied into the system. Adding devices to the system is less expensive with ST than with Vantage and easier to setup (no call to the installer). BTW: I have an InFusion system and it talks over Ethernet but I think the commands are the same or similar to QLink.

Just now I am finally able to create a SmartApp that commands a button without my WebAPI. It uses TCP and sends BTN 82 which toggles button 82 (my study All On button). I also am able to toggle loads and to set load values (0-100%). For now, I am unable to get return values but hopefully I can figure that out.

Regarding, virtual buttons on the Vantage side - I have things like that although they are just Vantage tasks. A task, a button, a load, they all have a unique VID in Vantage so they can all be commanded through the interface. Most of them are triggered by some other button press on the system or by time of day. I created a virtual switch in ST to turn on/off a Vantage load but I could just as easily trigger a Vantage task. They are easy to create in Vantage so I agree with you that developing Vantage tasks just for ST to command is a good approach.

Did you develop anything that scans your Vantage system from ST so user can browse devices? I don’t see a single command for Vantage that returns a complete list of devices but it seems I can ask for information about a particular VID. So it may take multiple calls with an app that simply asks for VIDs 0 - 999 - seems that could take too long.

Any chance you would be willing to share your device handlers with me? I’ve tried looking at others but I struggle with how to apply them to my use case. I suspect yours will be the closest to my use case as possible.

Thanks

Since the last update some of my ST motion sensors seem to have their own mind - they detect motion when there is no motion at all - surely triggering my light :frowning: not impressed at all …

Hi @r4nd0m, in case you missed it, this has been reported here:

A few of us have reported this as a problem whilst the motion sensors start a firmware upgrade. Throughout the duration of the upgrade the device may act erratically and come up with false detections. I’ve had devices take under an hour to upgrade to worst case scenarios of up to 7 hours, during which they repeatedly report false motions.

Interesting- this would require that I had OTA enabled which in fact I haven’t… ST has had quite a poor track record with updates I didnt want to take any risks and in fact if I could have the option to lock the hub to not receive any updates I would have done so as I think I had the longest time since I had it a fully working system that didnt misbehave at all …

In that case it’s not related then!! :sweat:

Seemd some of the devices had firmware updates available so for testing I did enable it - most got updated but 2 ST motion sensors didnt - one is even falling into ‘offline’ state - with no option to force the update this option is quite limited I’d say - you dont want to wait 24hrs to see that the device again didnt update …

@r4nd0m reseating the device battery close to the hub initiates a firmware update without needing to wait.

1 Like