UPDATE: Recent SmartThings User Experience & Platform Performance

I’ve seen this before (4 or 5 times). I attributed it to corruption on ST’s side that resulted in some sort of restore. Definitely frustrating and does shake one’s faith in the platform (and oft stated transparency).

4 Likes

It’s a shame, but don’t feel bad. Many of us suffer from STculosis (ST). You have the predominant symptom. Other symptoms may include: loss of interest, irritability, restlessness, confusion and decreased energy. There is no cure for it, although some have found relief in alternative treatments and non cloud remedies.

5 Likes

10 posts were merged into an existing topic: CoRE and Piston Rules Engine, first design steps

CoRE discussion should go here:

Thanks!

4 Likes

I have been using SHM Custom reliably for about 5 months, since the Spring ST meltdown. It was said at that time the Custom rules run separate from the Security section and were more reliable.

With the advent of CoRE and the recent iffiness of Routines, I have moved my Routine actions to CoRE. I have also created momentary switches, Minimotes and conditions that trigger my 4 new “routine” Pistons. The momentary switches are the only thing left attached to my ST “stock” Routines, just in case I need quick phone access, like an alarm is sounding.

This has all been running very solidly for several weeks now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just to add my two cents…

I’m happy things seem more stable overall, but I still have just frustratingly simple little bugs that make me want to smash things every time they happen. This screen cap kind of says it all I think:

Recap:

• I arrive
  • SmartThings changes mode and turns OFF security system
  • Overhead Garage Door intrusion anyway when I open the garage door

It clearly has the order of events correct, but then acts as if it does not anyway. Same thing happens with my basement motion sensor that I’m afraid I’m going to have to relocate as SmartThings can’t process things quickly enough or in the correct order, or something (basement sensor is actually half way up the stairs and is meant to disarm SHM before I get to the kitchen motion sensor that sets the alarm off).

I’ve had a support case open for this issue for months now with absolutely nothing useful coming from it. Heck, it’s been so long since I’ve heard a reply I don’t even know if it is still open!

So please keep the focus on the basics as you say you are, and get these “things” fixed!

3 Likes

This is because there is no delay in SHM. Suggestions:

1. Using a fob? Place fob in such a way that it’s less protected, more in open (radio signal reaches farther). Then place something that is a zigbee repeater close to where you arrive. Pocket sockets are cheap and great.
  2. If you are not using a fob, and instead the phone, then this might be easier. Open up your geofence a step at a time until it stops happening.
  3. Consider using the IFTTT method some use here, Life360 with a proper geofence size in order to alert the house that you are coming earlier.

Basically, because SHM has no built in delay, it is detecting intrustion before presence is updating your arrival. It’s kind of straightforward actually. You have to give the system more time in some way.

Side note: I can’t believe SHM still doesn’t have a delay, this would HELP soooooo many people. @slagle , can this be considered a reliability issue? I would.

3 Likes

I guess I don’t understand this. How does any sort of delay matter in this situation? I arrived, the “I’m Back” routine ran and disarmed SHM, but then SHM still triggers an intrusion. If it is disarmed, it should be disarmed, no intrusion allowed. SmartThings has the events in the correct order when I review the logs or activity feed. I can’t think of any scenario as to why SHM should show an intrusion when it is disarmed.

And, while I just use the mobile app for presence, I’ve got the geofence plenty big and it is usually pretty reliable for me. But presence aside, I have this exact same issue with motion sensors too.

It looked like the disarm and the intrusion happened in the same minute to me. Just because SHM was commanded to turn off doesn’t mean it happens instantaneously.

To be fair, SHM might not have turned off at all, I’ve seen that myself as well. That is easy to diagnose, just see if it’s actually off.

Yep, definitely within the same minute, but not in the same second. Regardless, it obviously makes sense if the logs are showing me when the commands are issued, but I’m not a developer or even a SmartThings expert, so I can only go by what I read in the app and it says “turned off the security system”. Surely the “messages” tab isn’t showing me commands, is it? That’s not consumer friendly at all.

Regardless, I know the events are close together, but they still need to happen in order. If there’s an incoming SHM command (to disarm it) I don’t get why it wouldn’t process but then a SHM intrusion command would.

In the end, I appreciate the suggestions, but I’d rather SmartThings just make it work better or tell me they can’t handle events within 3-5 seconds of others and I’ll find a workaround.

2 Likes

Oh, and totally agreed that SHM needs a delay, but if it works like any other security system, then I’d still have to “do something” to disarm it even after a false positive event like these. That’s not helping me a whole lot except that when and if I ever re-enable my siren, it would at least avoid me having bloody ears.

1 Like

I think the “Notifications” screen you showed there is telling you the ST system sent a command to disable SHM, but it’s not explicitly confirming that SHM was in fact disarmed - but it SHOULD. To verify that you will need to look at SHM or better yet catch this in the act with live logging. But that shouldn’t be on you to do, ST should be addressing this.

One thing I do, is I don’t use my overhead door to trigger SHM. I use the interior garage door to do so however. When the garage door is opened or there is motion in the garage when I am Away, I will get a text alert - but SHM isn’t configured to go into alarm state. Not that I am telling you that’s how you should configure yours.

4 Likes

Here you go, if it’s any help… SHM does throw alarms even when disarmed… even when looking at IDE logging…

Just pulled this crap on me.

I am sure support will actually troubleshoot this.

1 Like

Happened to me this morning too. Unlocked the door, but when I opened it… beware!

1 Like

Did logging confirm the system was disarmed?

Oddly, I got an email about the great improvements made to SHM and wanted to see if my 3 month old issues went away. The answer is: No.

Every-time I open an issue, it is brushed off. Isolated. Reboot. They’ve refreshed the apps, etc. No actual attempt to figure out what causes it.

3 Likes

I just woke up and was taking the dogs out. Think I cared? :slight_smile: Pulled out my phone and manually changed SHM. I was on automatic mode. Dog. Pee. Must. Go. Back. To. Bed. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

3 Likes

Oh, and if it helps, I was going to report to you that the issue you had and many have had, myself included, may be alleviated by creating a CoRE notification that sends you a notification when SHM reports Disarmed.

I set this up a few days ago and removed my I’m Back notification - I don’t care when it executes, I care to confirm SHM actually disarmed.

I still believe this would fix most of these issues. Like 99% of them, so you can bask in the glory amongst gods like @bridaus and @bamarayne - our resident 99 percenters. In fact, legend has it bridaus may actually be operating at 106.98773% and rising.

But, as you can see, not all of them.

5 Likes

I am over 100%, :wink:

Actually SHM has failed to disarm on me a couple of times. It’s one of many reasons I wouldn’t use a siren.

1 Like

Another Data Point on this.

If you arm your SHM when your hub has internet connectivity, and then prevent internet traffic. Disarm SHM from your mobile, SHM reports back as disarmed.This isn’t viewing status of SHM in the mobile, this is CoRE reporting back that the system indicates at that level it is in fact disarmed. That was an experience I had today while testing something else.

Where does that leave the state of localized SHM routines? Well, one can only presume they will continue as if armed.

So the confirmations that SHM was disarmed may not be as valuable as one may have thought.

3 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: Integrating Vantage with SmartThings