UPDATE: Recent SmartThings User Experience & Platform Performance

When I was having problems with WeMo not going on or off when expected, I to created routines. I wanted my front lights to come on at Sunset and off at 11:20 PM. So I created one rule to go on at Sunset and another 5 minutes later. Then I created a routine to turn off the light at 11:20 and again at 11:30. I found it worked very well as it took into consideration web problems. It worked for me but not sure it would work for anyone else. We know that as everyone seems to have different problems. As far as those with SHM problems, my only suggestion is to abandon it and use Smart Alarm as it is smarter and seems to work without a hitch, as long as you donā€™t depend on presence sensors such as your phone or a presence fob. Yes I know SA isnā€™t as pretty as SHM, but it doesnā€™t have the problems that SHM has. Geko is no longer updating it but as it is it is a better app and more like a real alarm than SHM.

Bulk issues here tooā€¦ total pain in the ass.

Things I have noticed:
As I walk up to my house, about 25m away I get a notification from IF (IFTTT App) on my phone saying my WiFi recipe has run (Turn on my phone WiFi when I return home using Smartthings Channel using my Smartthings Presence Sensor). So you would think that my ā€œIā€™m Backā€ Routine would therefore have run too, to disarm my house, yet it doesnā€™t. I walk slowly up to my house, check the mail, get my keys out, then open the door, and what do you know, Smartthings still hasnā€™t disarmed my house and I get Intruder Alert galoreā€¦ Weird as Smartthings obviously knows that I am home or it couldnā€™t have triggered my IF recipe. Clearly this is an issue with the triggering of routines, sometimes they will trigger after a lengthy delay, other timeā€™s I wonder if my hub is even on. I feel like everyone already knows thisā€¦ but figured Iā€™d add my 2 cents anyway.

I also have issues with the Night and Morning Routines (Different triggers). Strangely enough the only Routine I donā€™t have issues with is the ā€œGoodbye!ā€ Routine. Or I just havenā€™t noticed and my house has been Disarmed all day, lol.

yeah, actually I bet it is the centralite iris sensors everybody bought a metric buttload ofā€¦ I installed 15 and they report the temp every 15 min or so, my detailed log increased in size tenfold.

My SmartAlarm was (not now) also having ARMing DISARMing problems for this past month. I think it could be related to the way I do it. I do have my front door lock keypad not only open the door but automatically execute the Iā€™m Back routine to disarm the system. Since SmartAlarm has entry/exit delays it had been working perfectly well until the recent system wide melt down. As a backup I also have a key fob to execute the Iā€™m Back. There has been a huge improvement noted this weekend on not getting false triggers due to DISARM and for the last two days now things have been doing very well.

It is true that ST does not stop users from creating race conditions in their own installs. And the user would not know why their ST isnā€™t working.

ST should build a race detector, or a ā€œchattyā€ app or device notification.

Diagnostic tools can really help people fix problems, especially ones they caused themselves.

I loooove Rule Machine, but it is a huge trap for the novice user to create problems. I myself had two rules fighting over a device resulting in a blinking light and loss of control.

This is why I created a spreadsheet for my rules, to ensure I donā€™t do this.

Iā€™m also working on a flow chart for each device and rule.

1 Like

I donā€™t think it has anything to do with your setup. I have tried multiple setups and there simply is a problem on the ST side of things. I donā€™t believe that abandoning SHM should be considered a solution. I mean the SHM feature is what led to my purchase of ST Hub V2.

This is a great idea. I had this and never maintained it : Typical IT environment with my documentation lacking :slight_smile:

I have started having SHM issues again. This morning, my morning rule ran and disarmed my AT&T alarm. As a result, SHM was requested to disarm as well. It didnā€™t. I noticed and manually requested it to disarm. Took some 10 attempts and app kills and it eventually sticked to the Disarm mode. Took the dogs out and all seemed fine. Until my wife woke up and went out into the patio (same I came in from earlier) - all of a sudden, alarms starting pouring in (door open, patio motion sensor, etc.). Best of all, SHM was still showing Disarmed, even after an app kill. What gives?! To put the cherry on top, my momā€™s phone presence suddenly decided to join us. My mom shows present, even though the logs say she last left our home about 5 days ago. Regardless of the logs, she suddenly shows present - this did not happen yesterday and she hasnā€™t visited us in 5 days. Whatever ST is doing with caching and db separation and log processing, it doesnā€™t work. Seems like they have a log server that works fine (havenā€™t lost any logs - all actions are recorded properly) and a SHM server that maintains its own state for the hub - but canā€™t handle the same amount of traffic the log server can, leading to lags that eventually lead to inconsistencies in current state, hence the I-disarmed-it-but-itā€™s-still-armed cases.

I bought my hub almost two months ago. I am very close to giving up on ST becauseā€¦ itā€™s fatally flawed. I canā€™t rely on my siren to turn on if a sensor is triggered via the cloud. ST needs to get off their horse and acknowledge that their approach to security is not sustainable. A beautiful dream that will always be a dream. They have a growing base of customers/hubs and at the same time, existing customers are adding new devices, so weā€™re talking about a two-dimensional growth. Whatever they do, they wonā€™t be able to master an ever-increasing amount of events passing through a central system. They need to node-ize the system. Key element here: hubs share nothing in common! That means they can replicate their systems using smaller units that can handle say 100-1000 hubs each. But the best solution is to migrate all logic into the local hub. If the hub can handle 4 video streams, I fail to see how it canā€™t really just run the groovy code which is perhaps negligible compared to video caching/processing. Decentralize and split the work load onto the client hub. Why would my sensor need to go to the cloud to activate a siren when all three are in the same network? (sensor, hub, siren) This is not a sane security model as their cloud introduces so many extra points of failure. Security Systems must be self-contained, not relying on external components that a possible attacker may hinder (i.e. cut the dsl line on the side of the house before proceeding to breaking in effectively turns SHM off).

And if a v3 hub is needed to move all the logic locally on the hub, Iā€™ll take that risk and buy it. But at this point, as an embedded/electronics programmer, I feel this battle has been lost. Itā€™s - again - fatally flawed.

SmartThings? Need help? Weā€™re hereā€¦ many of us are programmers, many are network admins. Use the free and open resources we represent. Please.

Adrian

I think youā€™re on to something. Hereā€™s my issue that I posted in the Mobile App category. I canā€™t rely on the app to properly tell me if my house is disarmed.

"I have the issue that others are reporting. Though I can disarm and arm just fine, the state of SHM is not being represented in the mobile Android app. So some people may be seeing this as being unable to disarm, even though their house is indeed disarmed.

**Iā€™ve taken a video of the issue, where the app doesnā€™t report that my house is disarmed, but my SmartTiles browser and the IDE show the accurate state. **

Yes, Iā€™ve filmed it in portrait mode, sorry. I put in a support ticket on Sunday, but this isnā€™t one of those things that can be broken for days."

1 Like

This does happen for sure.

Smarttiles seems to show the correct status, where SHM in the ST App does not.

However, I have instances where SHM shows ARMED for example and even though I try several times to disarm it and get it to display the correct status - I am fairly certain it is disarmed but not displaying. Low and behold, I donā€™t have time to check smartiles, I open the door and it triggers and intrusion.

AWESOME! LOVE IT.

SmartHome that makes me do more work than when it was completely manual. :confused: Donā€™t get me wrong, I love the hobby aspect of it as well, but I want to be able to settle back in after hard work of getting things up and working and enjoy the fruits of my labor and be able to focus on other things I need to do day to day without the intrusions of a atmosphere of abject failures.

3 Likes

One step forward, two steps back?

I have a smart lighting automation which turns a night light (plug in module) on at night and back off again in the morning. (No custom code.)

This morning the night light was still on after it shouldā€™ve been off.

The thing status in the mobile app showed it as on.

But the IDE and the device log both show that the off command was sent correctly.

This particular device has no alternate means of control unless somebody actually unplugs it. Itā€™s not on echo, itā€™s not on a switch. And just as importantly, remember that the things tile shows that itā€™s on. Which it is. But the IDE says the last thing that happened was it was turned off. :scream:

Oh, as far as the ā€œone step forwardā€, the ā€œdevices not foundā€ error is not occurring today.

2 Likes

My porch light turning on and off based on sunset/sunrise has been failing for two days now, it worked fine during the last month or problems, one of the only things that DID seem to work without issue.

Smart switches are better than bulbs. Youā€™re in wise company. Itā€™s intuitive.

Iā€™m curious, have you ever released info in developer chats or anything regarding the ratio of community/power users to ā€˜averageā€™ users? Even more interestingly, do average users install marketplace smartapps only? do they even install smartapps? I imagine community users, though vocal, are a fairly dedicated bunch because of the community suffering effectā€¦ misery loves company and all that. Is retention better or worse for ā€˜averageā€™ customers? I imagine people move on from unstable products more readily, but it would be really interesting to know some of the statistics. What types of events have been the best for smartthings, and what have been the worst, (in the companies history). Do you see revenue boosts more measurably from tech article features or advertising, or expos?

3 Likes

Smart Switches are better for some use cases, smart bulbs are better for others. Much discussed in the community:

I agree thereā€™s definitely a place for both. I wasnā€™t knocking it without being a little cheeky. Iā€™ve read through that thread and I put smart bulbs in lamps and smart switches on all lighting fixtures. but I can understand how some people would prioritize having temp/color change everywhere (not just in lamps), I just think that having the house work intuitively with or without itā€™s ā€˜brainā€™ takes precedence. Iā€™m familiar with your mantra though. ā€œYour use case is not my use caseā€

1 Like

I have very similar results to this. Smarttiles is, by all accounts, accurate, but the iOS mobile app is out of syncā€¦at least with SHM.

1 Like

No good folks! Alarm system is going off repeatedly and not disarming when it is supposed to! This worked better before the ā€˜big fixā€™. I have a bad Mission Accomplished feeling right now!

ST, the issue is most definitely NOT RESOLVED! You should update that pretty status page of yours.

This is corporate shenaniganary, you guys gotta be above all that nonsense!

1 Like

I choose smart lightbulbs. The house that we are living in now is not our final house. I donā€™t want to install a bunch of switches and then move out. Iā€™m not tearing them out of the walls.

2 Likes