UPDATE: Recent SmartThings User Experience & Platform Performance

Hi, are you using rule machine?
How does your phone alarm disable the shm? Through ifttt?

You can create a rule to do this for you.

Try this…

Create a virtual momentary button tile, call it “alarm disarm”

Create this rule -
Trigger - alarm disarm: on
Actions - set alarm: disarmed

Create an ifttt recipe (or however your skating clock does it) to trigger that virtual switch via ST when your alarm goes off.

I just tested the rule by physicality triggering the switch avg it worked just fine. I recommend you try it with your clock, but not at 4am

Your are much more brave than Me. I would have uninstalled SHM after the first time, or the second at the latest.

My setup is actually very simple. I use Tasker and SharpTools. There is an event in Tasker for my alarm app, and when I dismiss my phone alarm, it triggers a mode change/routine in ST that changes the mode and disarms SHM… when its working…

1 Like

I’ve powered through this trying to not to pile on at all. It has been very disheartening as of late that things have went kinda crappy. For the most part tho, I’ver faired pretty well. I dont use a lot of complex rules or automations. Dabbling in Rule Machine at the start of this was maybe the bad thing to do. Like literally the day I installed it was the day this announcement went out. But over all most of my stuff has stayed about par for the course. My issue is that every night… no matter what… I hit ‘good night’ and then spend the next 5-10 mins hitting refresh and then off to 3-5 bulbs. Ive had not much luck with Cree bulbs as of late it seems. Also all my Cree bulbs went back to the old interface in their ‘things’ page. Is that normal? Only on the Cree bulbs. My SmartThings devices, have the new look interface to them, not the Cree devices.

Oh well, heres to hoping this gets better.

Can you set that up to run with rule machine instead of ST routines? I’ve never found the routines to be reliable. They’ve always been worse than shm for me.

You try it. Just create you routine in it.

And some people think that shitty products are justified by even shittier alternatives…

2 Likes

And apparently still use and comment on a forum despite feeling that way :wink:

Finally had to abandon SHM.

This week, in addition to all the other problems, when I or a routine would disarm the system, it would turn on a set of lights. So when the system disarms in the morning, light in the face.

Nothing else changes: disarm->lights. There are no routines, triggers, rules, etc to account for this change.

And now support isn’t responding when I’ve provided this information. Giving up.

Is Friday considered early part of this week? Or did I miss the announcement?

5 Likes

You play Samuel Jackson’s Character from Django to a T.

1 Like

All my rules worked as they should yesterday and today!

April Fools!

Still as broken as ever

12 Likes

Give people a hammer and everything they see is a nail. SmartThings’ weakness is it’s own strength! Allow people to go wild with your product and then watch them come crushing down when things get out of hands. I am not saying that ST is perfect, by any means, I know @JDRoberts and @bravenel stories are REAL and they know what they are doing, BUT many don’t. So moving to a system that gives you a box and no nails to expand your horizon seems the better alternative.

4 Likes

Well I had a good run of 5 days with no SHM problems. Then the past two days it won’t arm/disarm even after deleting it and starting over twice. Frustrating how random the problems are.

And Cree bulbs have been a problem. I’ve never had Cree bulbs drop out of the network, and now it’s happening almost daily. Same physical configuration of all devices and hubs.

2 Likes

Wow, almost 3 weeks in since the ST platform fell on its face, and still lots of people having issues. We need a diversion to take everyone’s mind off the current failures. I know… a mobile app update! :smile_cat:

6 Likes

Despite the random issues I’m still not going to jump ship. Came here from Wink and there is no way in hell I’d go back to that. Working in IT I know how these things go. Not saying this is an excuse for ST to not fix it at least they’re trying to do something. I’m curious what next weeks round of improvements entails.

Chipping in here. I jumped ship from Wink almost a year ago. I liked Smartthings well enough to buy Hub 2 along with 35 connected devices and some waiting to be connected. I contacted support the end of February with device problems, none of which have been resolved. Cree bulbs that have been the rock solid devices are suddenly acting up. The new Ecowave ceiling motion shows constant motion despite exclusion, complete removal, reinstall and this done multiple times. The PlantLink shows it needs the SmartApp connector installed EVEN though it is already installed and working. The Weather Station refuses to refresh on its own so is basically manual only. Things steadily got worse but with a few tweaks and biting my tongue, it was bearable. Yesterday, I had to pull the batteries from all my contact sensors to get them to work properly. Today all hell broke loose in the wee hours of the morning with the tag deciding to leave and return multiple times, SHM arming itself then after being unarmed rearming itself, motion sensors showing motion but not triggering events, and SmartApps not working. I rebooted the hub but things are just as bad. At the moment I have an expensive cell phone that can be used as a remote control for some HA devices with no signs of home automation in sight!

I don’t feel the updates on status.smartthings.com show the true picture. There are days there with no incident reports and I know my system was barely functional. I think a lot of folks have given up reporting problems with their system. Also, the ‘we’ve identified an issue’ is driving me nuts. What is the issue and how is that affecting me the customer? It would be nice if the issue was clarified to even something as simple as 'an issue affect '. That way, I could say, there is a problem with that device and they are working on it so I could troubleshoot better.

I’m not planning on jumping ship but I, like many others am beyond frustrated! I haven’t bothered putting in a support ticket for today’s problems because quite frankly I don’t think it will do any good given the results of my last support ticket. I will say that I am glad I did not put Nest, Sonos or anything crucial on Smartthings and I will definitely be looking at ways to distribute the load so my HA is not relying solely on Smartthings. I’m hoping that the problems with Smartthings will be resolved shortly. At the moment, it reminds me too much of the Winkening!

1 Like

The workaround I found with the Cree bulbs is to rename them. It resets in the database then they work. This worked for all of mine except one that won’t turn off fully via ST. It turns off fully if manually switched off. Another Cree went out this morning so I have to rename it, I guess.

i have more then 20 GE Link bulbs. at least i will i have issue with 2 bulbs every day. it wont turn on or off. i have to rename the bulb and save it. then it works. it happens every day. it sucks

As each one of my GE bulbs drops offline I reconnect them to my Phillips hub. I’m also using this as an excuse to replace them all with Phillips bulbs.