UPDATE: Recent SmartThings User Experience & Platform Performance

I’m posting to also express my deep disappointment with ST. First, SHM issues, then switched to smart alarm but that didn’t work since my modes wouldn’t react properly (could leave home without alarm sounding). Then the worst thing happened 2 days ago, my garage door opened and the door into my home unlocked at 1 AM. Anyone could’ve walked right in. The phone presence sensor showed me as coming and going form 1 AM to 4 AM which caused the garage door to open. I can live with the garage door being left open, but the door to my home being unlocked is scary. I have a smartapp that should’ve locked the door after 5 mins but the logs show that it was unlocked all night. I don’t have the garage door auto close for safety reasons. For now, I’ve disabled all routines and alarms. I’ve recommended ST to several friends and neighbors and it’s a real disappointment with what’s going on.

Yeah, it’s sorta like a chewing gum. It’s already lost its flavor, but not yet hard enough to spit it out. :tongue:

6 Likes

Goodnight, which is scheduled to run at 12:04AM fired a whole bunch of times last night. And this scheduler is better how?

1 Like

At least it’s firing. :wink:

2 Likes

I had a fun presence event fire off for no reason at 4am. Good times.

If your presence devices are Android, I’d suggest trying the solution (in post #7) in this thread…

I give a little more understanding for routines triggered by presence since there are some factors outside of Smartthings control. Modern phones do a lot of tricks to save battery that cause problems. My Goodnight routine is triggered purely on time of day.

1 Like

This is the first time it’s happened, so hopefully it was a one time glitch. Thanks though.

1 Like

Tempting.

So ST could report presence and motion sensor state to Indigo then?

How about the other way around? Can Indigo talk to ST with your product?

Is one license good for all Macs I own? I can imagine use cases where I want more than one Mac to send a command to ST or Indigo.

I’m in the UK, and I thought I was immune to these issues, as it seemed to be US accounts impacted. But last night my alarm sirens triggered as I walked through the door, even though the “I’m back” routine I’d set up in SHM ran and I got notifications on my phone that my phone had arrived home and the front door unlocked/Alarm deactivated. I managed to disable the siren manually in the ST app and eventually turn the SHM status to Disarm. However, my vacation lighting rule I’d set up kept running (it’s set to be disabled if ST detects presence in the house) and rotating my active lights, so I ended up having to delete the rule. I tried faking my location on my phone to trigger the leaving and arriving events, but it didn’t seem to fix the rules. I’m now very nervous about the alarm falsely triggering again, so I’ve temporarily turned off the siren, so the worst I’ll get is my Hue lights flashing and the notifications on my phone.

right, but when things that are scheduled for a specific time of day aren’t actually firing in a consistent, and reliable way, one looks for other solutions. :slight_smile:

In my case, I’m quickly ramping-up my attempts to establish ‘workarounds’ for pretty much every primary part of what SmartThigns was supposedly going to do for me.

Once I actually get finished with implementing all of the necessary ‘workarounds’ that are currently in my HA environment plan, to an outsider, my system could very well look like I’m just testing out a SmartThings hub to see what it’s like. lol

Regarding mysterious repetitions…

If you look up thread, you’ll see that I have a similar issue since the March meltdown – – some events run multiple times in a row. The difference is that mine were smart lighting automations rather than routines. So it’s possible yours is a different problem than mine even though the symptom is similar.

FWIW, support told me yesterday that they have now identified the reason for the repetitions that I am seeing, and they expect to have a fix in a future hub update.

But I would definitely report yours to support@smart things.com, just in case it’s a different problem.

1 Like

Nah. I mean, she’s killed many foes in combat. Can there be any doubt about her eventual destination in the hereafter?

3 Likes

My Smart Alarm hasn’t been working properly recently either, not sure if ST broke it to reduce competition for their SHM or what… but it’s been running into the same issue as SHM, simply not disarming at all… it would arm perfectly fine, but not disarm. Same issues as SHM, but it’s more difficult to change since I have to run the routines again to change mode. Is there any way of changing mode w/o running any routines?

There used to be, but they removed it form the mobile app, apparently “for your convenience”. :confused:

2 Likes

Yes, Rule Machine (though there’s no guarantee it will be any more successful than Routines if the cause of the failure is the underlying ST infrastructure). If you mean manually change mode, then use Rule Machine with a virtual switch, with it’s action set to change mode.

1 Like

Well, actually, the modes changed, but Smart Alarm was just not registering the mode changes just like SHM wasn’t registering it. My mode changed, so the only way for Smart Alarm to disarm is to change mode to something other than Home, and then back to home to disarm… it was annoying.

I remember back in the days, ST used to allow mode changes… or at least I thought it was allowed.

1 Like

You are not the only one, this has been going on for a least 16 days.

Yes. A SmartApp sends requests to HAM Bridge, which then communicates with Indigo via AppleScript. But HAM Bridge does not poll for states of SmartThings devices. So if you want to filter rules in Indigo based on SmartThings states, you would need to create a variable for each device state you want to track, and update it when events come in.

Yes, via endpoints. But Indigo can do this directly as well.

The current license is for one Mac, but I will change this to allow a second Mac as I have numerous requests. But another copy of HAM Bridge is not needed to send commands from other Macs. The whole point of HAM Bridge is to be able to contact it from practically anything. Anything that can send a simple HTTP GET (browser, terminal, automator, android or iOS device, etc.) can send commands to HB, and it then execute scripts on your Mac to control Indigo (or practically any app for that matter). In my setup, HAM Bridge executes very complex scenes with a single command, sending commands directly to my Hue lights, audio/video gear via Global Caché iTachs, and my thermostat, as well as Indigo and SmartThings.

I send commands from shell scripts, AppleScripts, Automator, and Keyboard Maestro macros from my MacBook, and from iRule and Tasker from My Android devices, as well as from SmartThings. Just put HAM Bridge on the same Mac running Indigo and you can contact them from anything on your LAN, as well as from SmartThings when you are away (without having to subscribe to Indigo’s pay tier for remote access).

HTH

1 Like