UPDATE: Recent SmartThings User Experience & Platform Performance

Holy tone deaf batman. He steps in every “what not to do in a crisis situation”…and that shows in his company who is barely learning on its own how to manage a crisis.

The real story is he doesn’t believe it’s a crisis. He’s checked out.

Something that has been pretty successful with the zigbee bulbs is this - rename them and they seem to come right back to life. There has been done chatter about it, I know it worked on mine and I’ve read where it worked for others.

Just rename in the app unset edit device. If it comes back to life, change the name back and you’re good to go.

Well, he is a CEO. He can’t fix it himself and cheerleading behind the engineers backs will make engineers only more depressed. He has to be relaxed because after this fail they going to kick his balls really hard. I bet that solution is: hire some more people to answer customer service bitching and fortify PR team. Hiring more software guys= 0

1 Like

Knowing them, they started deployment of the new scheduler and things got screwed up. They will recover and be stronger in few weeks, until another major deployment screws things up again. #LivingWithSmartThings

3 Likes

Thus is the path of a kickstarter project. You’re in it with your buddies, and not the personnel you’d need to establish a real company with. Prove me wrong, and show me you have the expertise to fix things, now!

1 Like

Thanx for the update, but definitely not seeing improved performance here. I actually had minimal problems all week, but my system has been totally bonkers this weekend. For example:

Do what you will with this info, but I’m not contacting Support anymore.

2 Likes

Things were getting a bit better but now SHM went right down the crapper again. Spinning circle that never stops.

@slagle: Here’s another clue for how things are “improving”…
Sometime between 8:45 pm PDT (last time a scheduled event successfully executed) and 9:20 pm (when I noticed), all scheduled events got unscheduled. Not some of them, but all of them (i.e., Scheduled Jobs = “None” in IDE). Shows okay after hitting Update. We’ll see.

Happened to me, too. I Put in a support ticket.

I’ve been critical of everything that has gone on over the past several days (and beyond). I do want to throw out that although on one occasion I had to rename my Zigbee bulbs again to get them to work, much of my automation has for sure gotten better and more reliable. When I say that I mean the response time it at about a second not 3 to 4 seconds and they actually seem to be triggering properly. I was happy to crawl out of bed this morning to find lights triggering down the hallway as I stumbled toward the shower and other lights triggered on as scripted throughout the house so I didn’t fall over something.

So with that said, I think the hard work people are putting in seems to be making a positive difference. Only they know for sure (based on monitoring telemetry) whether what I’m seeing is just a Band-Aid or the real deal, but either way things seem to be much better even if not perfect. I thank everyone for their efforts that helped make this happen.

Whoops … just got a call from my wife (I’m at work). The Zigbee bulbs won’t respond again. She tried with her Minimote and through the Amazon Echo and nothing. I’m guessing I have to rename all 4 of them again. She’s not happy therefor … no one is happy.

Like @BBrewer1080 I’m starting to see degradation where some devices will stop working completely and some will have long delays 10-30s

I had one Cree bulb that stopped working I got back to life by swapping device from “smart dimming outlet” to “Cree device”

For me this started on evening 3/20 CST.

Im thinking there may be some database corruption or non-response on the servers

Have to say, that everything is working fine in my home. Zigbee bulbs (OSRAMs) were disconnected a couple of days before, but now they are working… Two days ago, NOTHING was working, so improvement has been noticeable.

On the other hand, all my modes are triggered by Rule Machine, and almost all the rules are set by illuminance, and other events. I ussually don’t use any time trigger…

1 Like

Yeah, I would say NOT a good look for @alex. Imagine his poor staff who probably have worked 70+ hours this week seeing this? Sometimes when in the public light, it’s best to remain private at times.

2 Likes

I had to test this theory this morning and you are correct sir. I just changed it and made the lights work and then changed it back to what it was. Although I’m not there to verify 100%, my wife says things seem tot better. I actually did these changes remotely from work. I have to keep momma happy or she’ll want the home automation ripped out soon;-)

Anyone else totally dead in the water this morning? Can’t use the app at all. Constant ‘check your internet connection errors’

Try logging out and then back in. I had to do one through IDE. It should go from there. I also had to completely remove my Harmony connect smartapp, it errored every time I went to delete the bulb.

Everything was working a bit better early yesterday, but as of last night, each device is hit or miss. SHM has totally crapped out again. I guess it’s time to delete it, yet again…

Does the whiskey come out of my hub? Is there a certain secret button that I have to find to dispense? It might help with the situation…

6 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions! Nothing seems to be helping. I’ve got a ticket in now. I got an email today saying they were looking into it. I’m seeing all sorts of funny stuff still. Open/Close monitors showing open. SHM showing disarmed, but getting “thing opened” messages. Guess we are not out of the woods yet. It does seem to be improving though, so I’m cautiously optimistic. :grin: