UPDATE: Recent SmartThings User Experience & Platform Performance

This does happen for sure.

Smarttiles seems to show the correct status, where SHM in the ST App does not.

However, I have instances where SHM shows ARMED for example and even though I try several times to disarm it and get it to display the correct status - I am fairly certain it is disarmed but not displaying. Low and behold, I don’t have time to check smartiles, I open the door and it triggers and intrusion.

AWESOME! LOVE IT.

SmartHome that makes me do more work than when it was completely manual. :confused: Don’t get me wrong, I love the hobby aspect of it as well, but I want to be able to settle back in after hard work of getting things up and working and enjoy the fruits of my labor and be able to focus on other things I need to do day to day without the intrusions of a atmosphere of abject failures.

3 Likes

One step forward, two steps back?

I have a smart lighting automation which turns a night light (plug in module) on at night and back off again in the morning. (No custom code.)

This morning the night light was still on after it should’ve been off.

The thing status in the mobile app showed it as on.

But the IDE and the device log both show that the off command was sent correctly.

This particular device has no alternate means of control unless somebody actually unplugs it. It’s not on echo, it’s not on a switch. And just as importantly, remember that the things tile shows that it’s on. Which it is. But the IDE says the last thing that happened was it was turned off. :scream:

Oh, as far as the “one step forward”, the “devices not found” error is not occurring today.

2 Likes

My porch light turning on and off based on sunset/sunrise has been failing for two days now, it worked fine during the last month or problems, one of the only things that DID seem to work without issue.

Smart switches are better than bulbs. You’re in wise company. It’s intuitive.

I’m curious, have you ever released info in developer chats or anything regarding the ratio of community/power users to ‘average’ users? Even more interestingly, do average users install marketplace smartapps only? do they even install smartapps? I imagine community users, though vocal, are a fairly dedicated bunch because of the community suffering effect… misery loves company and all that. Is retention better or worse for ‘average’ customers? I imagine people move on from unstable products more readily, but it would be really interesting to know some of the statistics. What types of events have been the best for smartthings, and what have been the worst, (in the companies history). Do you see revenue boosts more measurably from tech article features or advertising, or expos?

3 Likes

Smart Switches are better for some use cases, smart bulbs are better for others. Much discussed in the community:

I agree there’s definitely a place for both. I wasn’t knocking it without being a little cheeky. I’ve read through that thread and I put smart bulbs in lamps and smart switches on all lighting fixtures. but I can understand how some people would prioritize having temp/color change everywhere (not just in lamps), I just think that having the house work intuitively with or without it’s ‘brain’ takes precedence. I’m familiar with your mantra though. “Your use case is not my use case”

1 Like

I have very similar results to this. Smarttiles is, by all accounts, accurate, but the iOS mobile app is out of sync…at least with SHM.

1 Like

No good folks! Alarm system is going off repeatedly and not disarming when it is supposed to! This worked better before the ‘big fix’. I have a bad Mission Accomplished feeling right now!

ST, the issue is most definitely NOT RESOLVED! You should update that pretty status page of yours.

This is corporate shenaniganary, you guys gotta be above all that nonsense!

1 Like

I choose smart lightbulbs. The house that we are living in now is not our final house. I don’t want to install a bunch of switches and then move out. I’m not tearing them out of the walls.

2 Likes

Not to mention that if you don’t have neutral at your switches smart switches can be more difficult or expensive to install/obtain.

6 Likes

But aren’t smart bulbs significantly more than regular dimmable led’s? If you have 4 lights on one switch wouldn’t the savings with ‘dumb’ led’s offset the cost of the switch? Besides with led’s you often have to change the switch anyway. I figure if I ever nice by then the smart switches will be $5 at home depot.

Not as much as they used to be, and they solve wiring issues (do not require neutrals at switches, and allow individual bulbs to be independently controlled that are ij a single switched circuit).

1 Like

Well as stated it is all about the conditions, if you don’t have neutral at your switches it may simply not be an option. There is also the fact that some people cannot handle wiring so calling someone in to put in a couple of switches may end up costing more than just buying connected bulbs which anyone can install without electrical knowledge. 3-way switches can be even trickier depending on how they were wired to begin with.

I do agree that the connected bulbs are expensive but to be honest I buy Cree connected bulbs at HD for $15 which is not that bad.

I can see the advantage of being able to individually control a single light thays on a switch with others occasionally. The neutral wiring issue doesn’t apply on my end because all my switches have a neutral in the box.

1 Like

Not as much as they used to be. I have 19 GE Link bulbs that were all less than $15 each. Still more than dumb LED’s but they also have the advantages already discussed (no need for neutral, all lights are individuality controlled or as a group, no need to rewire switches and sockets). I also have Z-Wave sockets and switches too for those lights that make sense.

1 Like

For me only, I hate bulbs. Everyone always turns off the switch killing them. I don’t trust my users with bulbs.

1 Like

That is why you buy devices like the one below, then it controls the light like a switch for those users.

3 Likes

You can use any switch with smart bulbs, just hardwire the switch and use the on and off events to control the lights.

1 Like

Personally I don’t like the look of that. I want to control my lights but, I can’t make up my mind on how.

Then there is the whole platform unreliability thing. That is what is my main stopping point for adding any more automation into the house. I want to buy stuff to automate but, I have no confidence that even if i set it up exactly correct that it will work.