Update link bulb firmware?

The GE link hub, which is the little white square that plugs into the wall like a wall wart, does not do any firmware updates. And apparently it is no longer being supported at all, as wink support has been telling people for about three weeks not to expect it to continue to be compatible with the new GE lightbulbs. It will come pre-– paired with two bulbs, but after that it is entirely possible that any new bulbs you buy of any GE link model will not work with it. See recent Amazon reviews for quotes from wink support on the link hub:

http://www.amazon.com/GE-Wireless-Connected-60-Watt-Equivalent/product-reviews/B00NOL16K0?pageNumber=2

The wink hub, in contrast, does do automatic device firmware updates for devices that are connected to it. But I have never heard of it doing a GE link bulb firmware update, I was not aware that there has been one made available as yet. I just checked today and didn’t see anything on either the wink or GE Link sites about available over the air firmware updates for the bulbs.

New “daylight” bulbs

Meanwhile, the new “daylight” models use a different firmware then the older link models. The boxes look almost the same, but the new models will not pair to the GE link hub at all, will only pair to SmartThings if you change the device handler after pairing, and I’m honestly not sure whether they pair to the Wink hub or not. Does the box say “wink compatible”?

1 Like