[OBSOLETE] IKEA Trådfri Bulb Device Type

I was wondering if that was the case you said. Remember it polls once every 5 (or 10) minutes, so you can get really lucky and only wait a few seconds, or you might have to wait the full duration.

There are a few odd comments trying to get solutions, but nothing solid I’m afraid.

Hello @Edvald - i got two of the E12s sold in the US yesterday - I installed your handler and they paired instantly to SmartThings (which selected your DTH). . Working very well - also have them working now with full control through Alexa. Thanks! We’ve been DYING for a candelabra bulb over here!

3 Likes

Btw - wish I could buy you a drink

1 Like

Sorry if I missed this earlier in the thread but what are the chances of this DTH getting support for the “dumb” E26 1000 lm model. I have them pairing today with the GE Link DTH but the dimming is just not smooth. So any chance this bulb can get added to this handler or can anyone else recommend another handler that I haven’t found yet?

You can use this one but it has a bunch of stuff that wont work, you would be better off using “ZigBee Dimmer” or the “ZLL Dimmer Bulb”

I have the 1000 lm bulb that comes with the wireless dimmer, it seems to work fine with the ZLL Dimmer Bulb handler.

This thread inspired me to go out and buy a set of the Tradfri bulbs, unfortunately I didn’t realise the 1000lm was different beforehand… Anyway, I couldn’t find any handler for the wireless dimmer so I’ve had a go at writing one. You can find the code in the post linked below:

Ikea Tradfri Wireless Dimmer Device Handler draft

If you have any suggestion how to improve then please let me know!

Hope someone finds it useful!

1 Like

I am trying to use the Circadian Daylight app with this bulb but there seems to be an incompatibility. I am not sure if the device handler has an issue, or if the app has an issue. Below is an example of the device log where the app is trying to set the color temperature logs - do these give any hint of what the problem is?

9:15:03 AM: debug SmartShield(clusterId: 0x0300, command: 0x0b, data: [0x0a, 0x00], destinationEndpoint: 0x01, direction: 0x01, isClusterSpecific: false, isManufacturerSpecific: false, manufacturerId: 0x0000, messageType: 0x00, number: 0x0000, options: 0x0140, profileId: 0x0104, senderShortId: 0x36be, sourceEndpoint: 0x01, text: )
9:15:03 AM: warn DID NOT PARSE MESSAGE for description : catchall: 0104 0300 01 01 0140 00 36BE 00 00 0000 0B 01 0A00
9:15:03 AM: debug color cluster updated successfully
9:15:03 AM: debug parsing catchall: 0104 0300 01 01 0140 00 36BE 00 00 0000 0B 01 0A00
9:15:02 AM: debug setColorTemperature(): 2000

Here is the equivalent log from the app:
9:15:02 AM: debug Living Room Tradfri color temperature set to 2000
9:15:01 AM: debug Color Temperature set to 2000
9:15:01 AM: debug Brightness set to null
9:15:01 AM: debug Color Temperature set to 4695

Is the “DID NOT PARSE MESSAGE” part indicative of a bug, either in the device handler or the app?

Thanks for any help!

Is it only modifying the color temperature or does it also change the level?

Ok, I figured stuff out with printf debugging. Turns out I was misunderstanding the logic of the Circadian Rhythm app and the “DID NOT PARSE MESSAGE” log of the Tradfri handler was a red herring. My bad, and thanks for writing this device handler btw!

FYI - got the Philips candle ones a couple of days ago - been testing/comparing and frankly the tradfri are just as good at less than 1/2 the price - if you don’t need the candle shape -

@Edvald - I’m not sure if the problem is Smartthings, The Lights or the Code, but I have an issue where some lights randomly stay on, even when they’ve been told to turn off.

I’ve got 6 lights in the bathroom and an ST motion sensor controlling them. If the sensor detects motion, it flicks a virtual switch, which turns all 6 on. After 5 mins the virtual switch turns off and the lights go off. Logically this all works correctly, and 90% of the time it’s what happens. Sometimes one or very occasionally two of the lights stay on - it’s not the same lights - it can be any of the lights.
When this happens, ST shows the light as off, until you go in to it and press the refresh button. At this stage, the light shows as on, and you can turn it off, but obviously that only works if you’ve spotted it.

As you can imagine, it’s losing the WAF, and I could really do with some suggestions on how to fix it! It’s there anything in the system that can do a refresh more regularly? Can I build a piston to check them and tidy up? (If so, how?) - or maybe there’s something your code to do to help me?

This happens to me too occasionally and always with lights that use the built-in DTH. I tell my echo to turn off the lights and some times it leaves on on and I’ll have to tell it to do it again. This didn’t use to happen and i think it’s a smartthings issue. I have no idea how to fix it but I would suggest posting a question on this board and see if others have the same issues, it might result in a fix or perhaps a response from SmartThings themselves.

2 Likes

I just stumbled upon this when trying to figure out why my lights are doing this. It happens randomly on only a single bulb. The thing that stumps me is that it’s almost always a different bulb (I have various bulbs from different manufacturers). I do think it’s a ST issue and not a DTH issue.

@Edvald

Stupid question here… is the gateway required to make it work or it’s like Philips Hue and it works without it?

No gateway required, works just like any other zigbee bulb

1 Like

First of all: thanks for this! I am currently testing this with a GU10 and and an E27 WS clear. A couple of question:

• About the settings “color level temp at lowest/highest level”: are those only relevant if the level change <–> color temp link settings is set to ON?

• I have a Piston in CoRE to lower the bulb levels when KODI plays something. Ideally I’d also like to change the temp level, but if I put both actions in CORE, then it doesn’t work. Any ideas?

Thanks

Yes, color temp min and max is only used if level and color temp are linked.

If you want to change the temp from somewhere else then either disable the color temp and level link or change the level, then add some delay and then set the color temperature, it might not look so good though since it will change temp two times

The color temp / level link was already disabled, but it didn’t work: the temp changed (as instructed by the action) but the level stayed the same. Is this a known limitation, or should it work? thanks!

I remember someone having a similar issue when using CoRE and i think it’s related to how the actual bulb works, if you give it a level change command it will “animate” to the new value so it’s a gradual change and not a instant change. If a color temp command comes along it will stop the ongoing level change animation at the level it was at and then start changing the color temp.
Same goes the other way around, color temp change also animates and that will stop if a level change is sent mid “color change”

The only way i see to bypass this is to send the commands with a delay of lets say .5 sec

There might be a command that one can send to the bulb that does both at the same time but there is no documentation from IKEA that i know of so …

If anyone where to figure out a command that does both then im happy to add that to the DTH or accept any pull-request.

OK, I see. FYI, at least in my case, the minimum waiting interval I need to set for it to work is 3 seconds (2 seconds would not be enough to complete the level change, which I’m doing before the temp change. I have the level/temp link switched off).

By the way, I’ve just read about the upcoming firmware update to the tradfri lamps. Will this affect the handler? I also wonder if people (like me) without the IKEA hub (“just” the SmartThings one) would be able to update, if needed.