Unwanted motion alerts since last platform update

I personally use 2 dropcams and 2 newer nest cameras inside. I use the Nest app for monitoring and has been working well. Native app.

Outdoors I have 2 Kuna lights (front patio and back porch) and they are working extremely well. No ST integration. Native app. Pretty much no false alerts on these even though outdoors. Alerts and recordings are immaculate.

Also, inside I have removed most of the ST motion sensors and use several Fibaro’s. Pretty much they are there just for the heck of it. Alarms are not tied to it because of intermittent issue whereby mode restrictions are not honored. I use the motion sensors just for triggering lights and do not rely on motion alerts. Also spiders, flies, bugs, breeze etc. may also trigger these… :wink:

I think there are 2 different issues

1. This thread - talks about motion events happening when there IS motion, but notification and or actions are taking place when they shouldn’t be due to mode restrictions
  2. And this thread False motion alert by ST motion sensor! Hope so Which might more accurately describe @Jmeyer66 's report. Where notification should happen but there is question as to whether motion actually occurred.

Regarding adding a camera. I think its a great thing to have so you can verify issues and or record them when they happen. I like to use their notifications separately even though they are tied into ST. Sort of a fail safe to have two separate systems that can notify you of an issue.

@slagle I too, for some time have been getting alerts (and siren activation) when there IS motion, via motion monitor, but when mode is to be excluded. Example, my office is to activate my siren when there IS motion AND mode = night or away. It is doing it when in HOME mode.

Same with motion in my home. It is activating if there IS motion, when it is only to happen in the away mode.

Makes it hard to sleep if it activates in night mode and someone gets a drink of water.

I have deleted and recreated the apps to no avail. I’ll too open a ticket.

Thank you. Right now this is the best bet for everyone. We are really concerned about this but are having trouble find the “needle” in the proverbial haystack. If you do submit a ticket noting an approximate (or exact if you can) time it happened, I think, is the best information we can have now so we know where to look in logs.

I did open a ticket, and have deleted the smart apps again, and recreated them.

Since then, I have not had a reoccurrence… Knock on wood.

If I do, I will update the ticket. I do have historical info, should I get that to you?

All information is valuable :slight_smile:

The logs for the siren just before through just after have been added to the ticket. Thanks!

1 Like

I am also facing this issue since last one month I think. I have a Aeon Labs motion sensor. ST Android app is notifying me of motion even when I am at “home” based on my presence sensor. I have opened a ticket.

1 Like

Question for everyone.

Does this happen only on weekends?

Mine happens when it gets hot. If it goes above 90 outside, my Aeon motion sensor that hangs under an eve gives between 1 to 3 notifications a minute until the battery dies. My Peq motion sensors inside do the same. If the inside of the house gets hot, more notifications. I do a battery pull on the Peqs to reset, but is more difficult on my outdoor hard to reach Aeon sensor. For that one I turn off notifications until the temp cools down.

No, but it hasn’t happened to me in close to two weeks. I’m going to start adding back more of the apps I deleted because of it.

No. I just had one alert at 7:04 pm today (Monday). The app is also giving me “intrusion” alerts. I don’t understand the time listed in the third image though.

In 4th image, I can see a line “I also set the security system to armed/away”. I don’t see the corresponding “disarm” line in the 5th one. Could that be the reason?

Hey all,

Please check out our updated release notes for the last platform update. We did push a fix that we are optimistic will resolve a lot of the mode issues in this thread. We would love for you guys to keep your ears to the ground and let us know of any outstanding mode issues as you see them.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

1 Like

My mode and routine issues have become abysmal in the last few days since this platform update. Everytime I come home now, all my presence stuff unlocks doors, opens garage, change thermostat, but no…modes won’t switch and SHM fires a fit about intruders when I walk in. So routines and modes are worse for me.

So your routines aren’t changing the mode right? That’s a separate issue from this one. Definitely report that to support.

This is what helps “at times”, open your routine, pretend to reconfigure something and click “done”. And as such last few days everything has been perfect with modes.

I was also facing this issue. The main mode (home/away) would change correctly based on the presence sensor. But Smart Home Monitor was only changing from home to away, and not vice versa. I think I have found what was causing it, at least hasn’t been an issue for me in the last 3-4 days since I made that change. This is what I did.

In the “I am back” routine, there is an option “Set Smart Home Monitor to”. This wasn’t set to anything in my case. Once I set it to “Disarm”, it stopped giving me the “intrusion detected” warning.

I haven’t received any unwanted motion alerts since last Tuesday.

I am still concerned about the incorrect time stamps in the third image I posted above though.

i have done all of the above…mine are firing off at non-correct times too, despite resetting again and again… :sunglasses:

Please ignore what I said above. Got intrusion alert today despite the log showing “I also turned off security system”.

The timings in the intrusion log are way off. I dismissed it around 6.30 pm. It shows incident dismissed at 11:30 pm!

That looks like UK time. Ain’t they 5 hrs ahead… :wink: