Unattended battery charging :)

That will never work.

My smart charger app will be out of biz now :grin:

3 Likes

@ady624 is like walmart.

He comes in and puts the little guys out of business.

:fearful:

9 Likes

Oops. Didn’t even look to see if there’s any app out there… idea came to me while I was charging my batteries, implemented the “fix” before they were done :slight_smile:

no worry, I love CoRE :wink:

3 Likes

“Atomically” speaking :wink: , there is always better when there’s more than one way to skin a cat…

3 Likes

Just an fyi, this is hardware based info only.

Inside off each battery charger there is normally some sort of transformer.

Unless there is reverse current prevention technology built into either the charger or the battery (not normally found in things like power tools) leaving a battery plugged into the charger when the charger has no power will cause the battery to discharge via the chargers transformer circuitry.

Just a psa

2 Likes

Good point,now I have to go in my garage and pull the batteries out. BRB…:slight_smile:

Don’t sit them on the concrete floor either… That will not only drain then, but destroy them… Weird…

That is weird. I have a charging station up on a shelf, just like I have for my mobile devices. Was thinking I am being slick turning the power off when fully charged. At least I save power. I noticed that once fully charged, they start sucking on power every 3 minutes.

This is one of the reasons that smart batteries were developed. They shut off the internal charging circuitry.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s what I thought but, no. They are smart not to overcharge. But once it goes below 100% they kick the charging again, right? That way if you plug your cell overnight, you have 100% battery in the morning. Talking about vampires

I believe that most devices now will draw power directly from the charger once the battery is fully charged. I think that’s to prevent the dipping of the charge on the battery.

this subject is somewhat “dear to my heart” because batteries can fail in dramatic fashion that burns your house down. A couple of times (I charge mostly LSD NiMH 4-8 pieces per week) in the past 2 years, AA or AAA shorted internally AND the charger did not seem to detect and shutdown as specified, so that battery went to 150F or more. Hot enough to take my fingerprints off - then I implemented an automatic shutdown with RM.

So for “unattended battery charging”, I think independent temperature monitoring and safety shutdown is a good thing. This should be not too hard with RM(may be less reliable) or CORE.

2 Likes

Beet me to iit :slight_smile: Seen that on some, but not sure all do it. I have 4 different brands in the garage.

Hi folks this is a great idea! I had a battery melt while charging not a good thing damn near burned the garage down. I will in deed put this in place!

2 Likes

Read the manual for each charger. Dewalt is typical of a good design:

The charger and battery pack can be left connected with the red light glowing indefinitely. Thecharger will keep the battery pack fresh and fully charged. NOTE: A battery pack will slowly lose its charge when kept out of the charger. If the battery packhas not been kept on maintenance charge, it may need to be recharged before use. A batterypack may also slowly lose its charge if left in a charger that is not plugged into an appropriate AC source.

But it varies. If a charger says to remove batteries immediately after charging then do so, whether it’s powered on or not.

Also, know how to store the batteries whether they are charged or waiting to recycle. More than one verified story of batteries tossed in a plastic bag or a recycling bucket catching fire. They need to be stored where they can’t be shorted. Particularly important if both poles are on the same plane, obviously.

Lithium Li-on batteries have about 12 different things that can go wrong with them. So make sure you know what you’re doing with those.

Personally, I don’t put battery chargers or store batteries in a garage unless it’s temperature controlled as it gets too hot.

Don’t store batteries in the freezer. That’s an urban myth and can damage any kind of battery.

It’s true batteries will last a little longer if stored below 70° and above 40°F, which is why the advice is “store in a cool room” but from a practical point of view they usually do best overall properly stored just in regular living space.

FWIW

1 Like

Thanks for a well written how to handle the batteries in your shops, after this little issue I will pay attention to this.

De Walt is sending me a new battery and charger and said that this shouldn’t have occurred. But still your correct in your statement, not worth burning the garage down.

1 Like

@ady624

Why does this piston keep repeating? Even after the variable is reset?

BLURRED IMAGE

Might want to blur your phone #.

3 Likes