Unable to add Philips Hue bridge to my smartthings devices

Tried rebooting WiFi router?

Router has automatic reboot on a nightly basis and in my troubleshooting has been done so manually many times, as has the Hue Bridge and the ST hub (taking out batteries, power, and Ethernet cable)

Sharing what I just now emailed ST support, which yet has responded to my email Monday pinging on them again on this issue:

I need to know how Super_LAN_Connect gets the MAC address and then adds to it after successfully getting a userToken generated from Philips Hue Bridge API and verified also using the Hue Bridgeā€™s CLIP API Debugger and checking the whitlelist.

This is clearly an issue of SmartThings Super_LAN_Connect not getting the MAC address of my Hue bridge by whatever means (<- This is what I need to know to further troubleshooting on my own) after the Hue bridge has given the green light to SmartThings.

If there is something I need to do or check from my Ubiquiti managed switch or from a router standpoint that perhaps I am inadvertently blocking this information to get to the SmartThings hub, then that would be useful information as well to get this to work.

Do you have UPNP enabled on your router/switch?and last question, the ST hub and hue bridge are connected to the same switch?

Yes thanks, I have tried with upnp and disabled.

Both are on the same switch:

I have Ubiquiti Switch, which is managed, in which both the ST Hub and Philips Bridge are connected to (and always has been, i.e. when it worked) - no VLANs, flat network.

Last night I managed to successfully connect to my new Hue Bridge for the first time.

Steps I took:

1. Turned off every device that uses UPNP on my network.
  2. Enabled and Re-enabled UPNP on my router.
  3. Used a separate version of Smarthings on an android tablet to start the find process. (probably made no difference)
  4. Found the bridge and popuated all bulbs. Delighted with myself!.

All were working fine for about 2 hours when I attempted to add a Zwave sensor that had fallen off during all my troubleshooting. At this point my ST Hub found a second Hue Bridge (new ID) and added it automatically!. I didnt have a second Hue bridge connected anywhere!. I had to delete this phantom Hue bridge and restart the ST hub to get my existing hub and lights working again.

Fast forward to this morning, my light are no longer responding again and the app is asking me to press the hue bridge button when i access the ā€œrecentlyā€ tab on the bridge.

More hours and hours wasted on what looks like a hub that now will not stay connected. Im so frustrated!

Finally received a responseā€¦

I have removed name to protect the innocent, but this is the response to my question/issue with Hue integration and although it doesnā€™t help me at all, it maybe helps others?

For my case, something has changed and have yet to pinpoint what it is and after exhaustive investigation on my end most, if not all signs point to something within the ST infrastructure or the Super LAN connect smartapp that is not playing nice and not mine. Samsungā€™s ecosystem seems to be changing drastically and a lot, i.e. account migration, new apps, more devices, etc vs my ecosystem, where my infrastructure essentially has remained the same.

Aug 3, 10:22 AM MST
Hello there,
Thank you for contacting SmartThings today! Sorry for the delay. When dealing with the Hue bridge our integration and methodology for communication was created in conjunction with hue and according to their guidelines. To be quite frank, The hue bridge needs to literally be connected to the same physical subnet as the hub. Not any form of mesh network not between switches but simply on a consumer grade router. Most if not all issues are resolved by connecting the Hue bridge to a consumer grade router along with the hub. So long as this is the case connection is typically possible. Even if that means putting two routers in your home especially if you have mesh wifi.
Weā€™ve read through your forum posts and unfortunately we do not have access to the proprietary code as it is not open source. I can tell you that live logging only logs, what was coded specifically to log. Thousands of actions and events can happen without making it to live logging. Each log entry in live logging needs to be specifically called. The scope of our support unfortunately does not involve delving into the code of our smartapp integrations. We do however offer troubleshooting that does do a great job for most troubleshooting needs. The above mentioned paragraph has been my most successful method for getting a non connecting hue bridge to discover.
To address your concerns about our response times, we certainly do apologize as we are definitely trying to keep up with our account migration, the new app, and the increasing number of samsung digital appliances that we receive contacts about. We have recently gone from just over 250K App users to well over 100 million as we have expanded to be included on every Samsung phone starting with the s7. We definitely apologize for the inconvenience and are working to improve this in the future. We really apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. And we look forward to hearing if our suggestion regarding this matter works for you as well.
Thank you,
Support Engineer

Mine is now working fine for at least the last 4 days. No drops in connection and no issues with finding additional hubs.

SmartThings support did get back to me and let me know that my old Hue Hub was cached and must have taken 5 days to clear.

Fingers crossed itā€™s ok.

Lost Philips Hue integration, lost Samsung smartcam integration, lost favorites on my appā€¦really disappointing how progressively crappy this platform has become, instead of getting better it has gotten worse. Ready to dump it. Support now sucks and is non responsive, and disclosure and communication is non existent when there are current issues at their so called proactive notification website http://status.smartthings.com. There have always been issues, but were either resolved or there was an alternative, now they are just open issues with no hope for resolve that I wonā€™t live with.

1 Like

I have a v2 ST hub and a brand new Hue bridge, and I cannot get the Hue to connect. I get the message to press the button on the Hue after manually adding Hue Lights in the Classic app, but ST never finds it. Iā€™ve tried the following:

1. Static, DHCP, and reserved IP address assignment.
  2. Rebooted everything multiple times
  3. Bought a separate ā€œconsumer gradeā€ router running DD-WRT and had only the Hue bridge, ST hub, and my Android phone on the network. All one subnet separate from everything else.
  4. Ensured everything is on same subnet network.
  5. All the suggestions in this thread.

I have over 60 devices - Zigbee, Zwave, wifi tp-link plugs, Bose speakers, multiple Amazon Echos - all working fine. In fact, the Hue app works perfectly with the Hue lights and Alexa. Itā€™s only the ST integration.

Iā€™m thinking I have bad hardware, but not sure how to know if itā€™s the hub or the Hue bridge.

Iā€™m open for ANY suggestions at this point.

Unfortunately, I have resorted to give up with no help from ST - this would need to be looked at higher in the food chain, engineer not tech. Hue definitely does not work with ST in my home.

As I said previously in my posts, I am able to see the ST request Hue developer API access and Hue grants it after pressing Hue button, but the part from ST looking at Live Logging from IDE as I try to connect HUE it shows that Super LAN Connect, wonā€™t add the Hueā€™s mac address and hence wonā€™t add the device(s). I have also tried to add it manually via IDE and I got the Hue to show up as a device, but unfortunately it only is just a skeleton of the Hue Hub with no functionality nor do any of the lights populate - it was a hail Mary try.

Everything in the Hue ecosystem works perfectly fine, their app, third party apps Hue Disco, etc, Google Assistant integration, Amazon Alexa integration, etcā€¦ST for whatever reason uses a weird way to talk to Hue that does NOT work.

I got motivated to look back again and I am quite certain it is programming on ST side of things for discovering and creating device(s) that is the culprit and not customerā€™s hw or network.

In looking at the logs again I noticed that the developer username request there are three fields:

• Host (Local IP address:port - it is correct from my side of the Philips Hue Hub)

• Token (ST identifier - used by Philip API to create an authorized user)

• ------->: DNI (MAC address) <------- This is where this is STRANGE - the mac address is from an old wireless router that I have long since removed from my network. Apparently, code somehow maintains this MAC address and is not updating if someone changes their router somewhere in their code and/or databases - this is bad design, routers will change over time.

Did you update the firmware on the new hue bridge?

I believe it went through that the first time I attached. Itā€™s on 1810251352 now.

I wish I found this thread before I upgrade my Hue bridge V1 to V2. The former has been working within ST for years but I can not get V2 included. In fact, ST never finds it. All my LEDs under v1 are still showing up in the ST app but of course none work.

Upgrading the bridge from V1 to V2 via the Hue app was painless. Any other app (i.e. Google Home, Alexa, etc) that uses this bridge took seconds to update and all worked thereafter.

I decided that I would try and add this V2 bridge to my old ST V1 hub. No problems what so ever.
Back to my ST V2 hub trying to get this bridge up and running I noticed within the ā€œSuper LAN Connectā€ logs references to my old Hue v1 bridge. It suggested that it is still got a hold of the old bridge and wont add the new one. Do I need to delete all my HUE bulbs from ST then try to re-add the bridge??

If you have powered off the old v1 bridge, try assigning the ip# it was using to the new v2 bridge. Then reboot everythingā€¦hue bridge, router and ST hub. Then perform Add a Device in the Classic app.

1 Like

Have you verified that the new hue bridge is on the same lan network as the ST hub?

That workedā€¦ I should add that the ST hub needs a hard reboot. Simply rebooting via the APP or IDE reboot utility option did not work.

Before reading your post I had already deleted the old hub from within ST which means I had to re-add all LEDS back to their original rooms.

So, Iā€™m having the same issue as everyone else. I originally had the Hue Bridge attached to the SmartThings Hub. About 2 mos ago I reset my router (by accident) back to itā€™s original settings. Iā€™m not tech whiz when it comes to electronics but I wouldnā€™t say Iā€™m an amateur either. Anyway, I had to re-add everything back. The SSID on my router is the same. I just changed the password on it. So I had to update all my devices. Ever since I did this Smartthings will not find the Hue Bridge. Iā€™ve reset both the Hue Bridge & Smartthings hubs and re-added everything. All the Hue bulbs I have connected to the Hue bridge work perfectly w/ no issues. The other things I have connected to Smartthings work fine as well. Somehow when I reset the SmartThings Hub I ended up having another hub. I tried to delete it but you canā€™t. Iā€™ve tried every which way but I keep getting errors. I have the current hub (different name than the other) set as ā€œtrueā€. I had some issues trying to connect my Flex Washer/Dryer prior to doing this, but now they connected just fine. So thatā€™s one issue thatā€™s taken care of. I want to get my Hue Bridge added to Smartthings. So thatā€™s my issues. I also have Amazon Echo running everything just fine. The Hue stuff and the Smartthings stuff. I had read somewhere on these boards that the issue w/ the extra hub is a known issue w/ Samsung and it currently canā€™t be deleted. Been talking to SmartThings Support but all they can tell me is the things Iā€™ve already done. A ticket has been created for all this. Weā€™ll see how long it takes.