UK Light switches – My experiences (2020)

Great Post I was looking at all of these switches except for the yagusmart as they weren’t around when I started back in October or at least I never found them, I myself went for the fibaro dimmers and switches route and put them in ceiling roses or made my back boxes deeper if I couldn’t access the neutral in the ceiling.
How do you go about doing two way switches with these?

2 Likes

I haven’t had the double gang delivered yet but would use the Virtual / Physical device sync app to get the two endpoints from the switch. I will let you know how it goes when it arrives :+1: Sorry should have made it clear in the original post.

3 Likes

Will you be using the double gang switch in a two way as I’m not sure how these switches would be wired up in that regard?

1 Like

My current set up in the landing/hallway for a two way is a bit of a cheeky one, double gang aqara downstairs and a wireless button over the top upstairs. I did this because the back box is less than 20mm which is silly and no room to make it deeper. I will probably end up doing the same as the hallway lights are completely automated with aeotec tri sensors. I am not sure (only because i cannot find any documentation or guidance on them) that they support two way switching, if i come across it i will definitely post an update.

3 Likes

Found a DTH that runs the 2 gang version (maybe 3 as well, not checked) having received mine in the post. Use the main DTH and child device (below), when initially added it shows as a ‘thing’. Change the DTH from ‘thing’ to the main handler below and re-add through classic (don’t delete before re-adding). It also automatically adds the second switch after adding.

Below double switch, kitchen light and dining room light:

2 Likes

Mine were developed to work with Zemismart switches.
I commented out the fingerprints because there are official DTHs now.

Otherwise, you may consider using these ones with some bugfixes.

3 Likes

Thank you, I think because I’m using it for a different switch it only seems to work with the old DTH. It was very much a use and see if it works!

This is because the old version has a default child count of unknown devices equal to 3.

Whereas the official version has a default value equal to 0.

Just add the fingerprint of your device or change this default value and it should work for you.

1 Like

I’ve been following this thread as I am also very keen to update my light switches to smart ones. This thread has helped me understand things a lot more.

I’ve been looking at ordering some of these Yugasmart switches for a while now. Being fairly new to using Smartthings I’ve been hesitant due to my limited understanding of using the device handlers section to add third party products. This thread has helped with this concern.

My other concern is that some of these no neutral switches need a capacitor. I contacted the sellers on Amazon who said they do not supply a capacitor with the switch.

My question is, did you need to install a capacitor to make it work or did it not need one?

Forgive me if it’s a bit of a rookie question, as I said, I’m fairly new to this.

2 Likes

Thank you so much :grin:, when I get my second double switch I will test this with the new handler. When I messed around with it yesterday (before knowing this) It was an effort to re-sync! Thank you

No problem, although I have had a few different switches I am still learning myself. I personally have not had to add any capacitors to lights, no flickering as yet only a slight buzzing (you need to be within 1-2 foot of the bulb to hear it) Below is the manual for the switch, it appears that a Capacitor is recommended for the Wifi version but not the Zigbee one

2 Likes

Thanks op, very useful review. A few years back I bought 2 fibaro single switches and it was a pain to fit them in the ceiling roses, plus I have no idea how to remove them and put the wiring back to original, but this yagusmart switch looks amazing and I have ordered one to trial it, before I kit out all the other rooms.

1 Like

Always best to trial one for a few weeks first, it gives you a good idea on how they work. I bought mine for the Kitchen as it gets the most use with a motion sensor, it gave me a good idea if they were worth the money or not. Let us know how it goes :+1:

1 Like

I must have used an old one of yours, that new one works a treat! Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi, been reading this thread with interest as i am new to the scene and it has become a bit of a hobby for me, but there seems to be a lot to learn :slight_smile:
I recently swapped over my office light with a Yagusmart single gang light switch which worked well once i change the DH to Zigbee Switch within ST.
It is controlling a spot light with 3 GU10 bulbs and got a little flickering when using 3 x LED’s so i swapped one of them to a standard 40w which acts as the resistor and works well :slight_smile:

Just had a 3 gang version delivered for my garage and outside lights, and i am struggling with the 3rd switch. I stumbled on changing the DH to Zigbee Multi Switch which then makes the 2nd switch a Child to the Parent and seems to work perfectly for the 2, but had not joy getting ST to see the 3rd switch, but as it happens i don’t need that at the moment - would be nice to have the option thought.

I am yet to dip my toe in to creating Device Handlers…but it looks like this is what i might need to do, or borrow one from someone with a little more know how than me :wink:

1 Like

I just fitted the Yagusmart single switch in my living room connected to my 7 LED downlights…and I am must say I am plesently surprised!

I held the switch on for 10 seconds, the led started to flash and boom…it paried!

The GU10 LED downlights have no flickering (it may be due to different bulb type), instant on\off from the switch and smartthings and best of all local processing using the 'Zigbee Switch 'as type. I have just ordered 5 more. I strongly recommend these swiches, plus they arrive all the way from China in just 10 days!

One question I have, I wanted replace my standard double gang in the landing with a Yagusmart, one button is simple no neutral to light up my bedroom, and the 2nd is a 2 switch setup, i.e. i can turn it on from downstairs and upstairs and has some crazy wiring (it took me a couple of hours last time I had to change the brocken socket and that was 10 years ago, so I have no idea about it now). Is there anyway to use a Yagusmart with setup, or should i forget about it and leave it as it is?

2 Likes

Try this one from w35l3y :blush:
perhaps change the default to return 3?

I don’t think there is a two gang version (one switch upstairs with another down) this is what I came up with.

In the U.K., that would be called a “two way” setup. Two switches in different locations that control the same light. (In the US, It’s called a “three way.”)

https://www.lightwiring.co.uk/two-way-switching-3-wire-system-new-harmonised-cable-colours/

A “two gang” is two switches In the same switchbox, each controlling a different light.

These can be combined, so that there is a two gang switch in each of the locations for the 2 way. In that case one of the two gangs on each switch is controlling the same light, but the other gang could be controlling anything at all. :sunglasses:

1 Like

2 way works fine with a module, but I do not think it would work with these switches. You would need to set up a standard 1-way at the main switch (one wait Live and connection to lamp) and use a smart button at the other location. Then create a rule to toggle the status.

1 Like