Ubiquiti UniFi Video and Protect NVR Integration

Regression against 3.1.5, 3.4.0 and 3.5.2 passed. I’ve updated the code so grab it whenever you want. I’ll probably make a release out of the current state with all the updates since 2/3.

Your are dealing with the man for this stuff. He had me up and running in 3 days. He needs like 10 gold stars

Haha thanks. Did you grab the latest stuff? The watchdog has been keeping my cams up and the logs I’ve captured shown it would have otherwise died after a few hours.

@Themlruts, your absolute right, this is a great project and support - which combines the amazing unifi with smart things. I’d agree with you about the gold stars but think he should really get 11

I have cut a release on GitHub, v2017.4.21, with all the latest changes.

Notes are here: https://github.com/project802/smartthings/releases/tag/v2017.4.21

Link to online sources here: https://github.com/project802/smartthings/tree/v2017.4.21/unifi_nvr

I ordered a UniFi UVC G3 and it was supposed to get delivered today. It did not…

I will be utilizing these integrations. Look forward to trying it out!

So, I got my camera installed and working. I started to play with the smart app and device handler and I was not getting any cameras added to my device list. So, I started to read your readme file.

I noticed that you mention the hub and NVR need to be on the same subnet. Mine are not, infact they are on different VLANS. I have allowed the smart hub to access the NVR via my router and I see traffic initiated when I “save” the smart app via my phone. But I see no more.

Is there something that can be done to get this to work on multiple subnets?

1 Like

I am currently running on 8 Nest Cam’s ($450 annual cloud storage)…I have one IP camera (Trendnet PTZ Dome) while the quality is great there isn’t any good IP camera software for Mac. I have used Xeoma and Sighthound. (Running Sighthound currently for the IP camera).

While the Nest App isn’t perfect, I can easily skim through and check on my house with relative ease contrasted to the IP camera apps where you have to select a video clip, that is 10 seconds long and take 30 seconds to load and it doesn’t automatically continue so you have to back out and go to the next clip (you know what I mean!!)

Does Unifi Video have this problem? If not, do you recommend any IP camera software?

I just got my unifi camera working this week. I am still trying to find the sweet spot with motion detection so I do not get miss fires.

There mobile app is working great. I can stream high quality live or recording quite fast on 4G. Only 3 to 4 seconds to start playing.

Video quality is very good. Audio quality is great. It is strange but I can pickup people talking and not know where they are outside.

1 Like

I have seen the same issue. Its like the hub will go as far as initiate a TCP connection but then do nothing. Unfortunately this is completely within the control of Samsung and cannot be modified in any way I am aware of. I want to do the same and put my cameras on the untrusted VLAN with the other gizmos like the TV.

I am also having a fun time tuning motion detection…luminance changes trigger it and the detection areas are not very exact. Fun times.

It does not. Its a very responsive app.

1 Like

A sample demo of the app would be great! Are you using their NVR?

Yes I currently use their hardware NVR and I have run it on Windows. I haven’t noticed a difference between them and got the hardware NVR so I didn’t have to build a PC just for the NVR software.

1 Like

I am using their NVR software on a Windows 10 pc. It is working very well.

My only issue is that I want to separate my LAN traffic for security. Right now smartthings hub needs to be on the same subnet as the NVR.

I might add a second NIC to my server…

1 Like

Do the video clips continue for the entire length of the motion? For instance, if someone walks in frame and out of frame but walks back in a few seconds later. Will that be a continuous clip or individual?

That’s the problem I had with Sighthound as it would make 5 different clips for the same motion event and it took forever to view all of them as each clip is super slow to load on the mobile app

Depends on how you configure the record on motion settings to capture time before and after motion events as well as sensitivity and the zones. But yes, I can do what you are asking.

1 Like

Appreciate all your help!
Is this camera good at capturing license plate numbers? Can I adjust settings to use it as an LPR camera?

If any of you guys also used the Nest Cam (Dropcam), a comparison would be great!

So the SmartThings intervention allows you to turn on and off the camera?

Thanks

I have the nvr running in vm on my esxi server. Seems fine but only running 1 camera at the moment. I have there old cameras I still think are pretty good. I’m debating if I should sell them and buy new style since I can’t upgrade my nvr anymore. It’s at the highest rev for my old cameras

I would be curious to know the answer to this as well. I’ve been hesitant to put PoE cameras in the kids room (for a baby monitor) as I want to be able to turn them off for privacy. I know I can go in and shut the port on my switch, but I’m looking for something a bit easier. Cheers!

I don’t think its good for plates. Its a pretty wide angle system without zoom capability. I’ve tried using it with image processing on my driveway to do actions based on who comes home and the plate doesn’t get enough resolution.

The device type does not have support for turning the cam on and off. There isn’t anything in the API that will allow for that, only for controlling the record functionality.

1 Like