Two hubs to expand coverage for one location?

Can I use Two hubs for expansion of coverage in one location? Added another but it doesn’t show any devices. If not, is there some other ZigBee 3.0 boosters?

In theory you can have two hubs and one location, but it isn’t recommended last I checked. It would also have its own distinct zigbee and zwave networks. So when pairing the device you have to pick the appropriate hub.

1 Like

As @Automated_House mentioned, A second hub doesn’t help you as it can’t join the first hub’s Zigbee network since they are both primary coordinators.

However, there are many other good zigbee repeaters you can consider. One of the best is also one of the least expensive: the IKEA Tradfri plug-in pocket socket. It is available in many different countries, generally at a price of around €10 or $10 if purchased directly from IKEA. (The product description may say that it requires the IKEA gateway, but you are going to use the smartthings hub instead, so you don’t need the gateway. :sunglasses:)

You didn’t say what country you were in, but here is the link to the US version:

You should also read the FAQ on wireless range and repeaters. Start with post 11 in that thread, then go up to the top and read the whole thing and it should answer most of your questions about coverage. :sunglasses:

A Guide to Wireless Range & Repeaters

Ok, I thought adding it to the same home would solve it. I have three hubs now, but one of them is for the apartment we are renting out in the house. At first I created two homes under one, but then my Sonos devices kept getting readded in the apartment by them selves…

So the apartment anyways has its own mesh network so I guess I should use two for this case and return my third hub :slightly_smiling_face:
Thanks, Olav

1 Like