Turn TV On/Off using Alexa

So, when she “changes channels”, does the TV itself change to different channels (best scenario), or does the TV stay on the same channel while the feed changes? (Which is less likely, and would require some sort of command receiver near the TV)

Even if you don’t have the remote, in the best case, you should be able to determine which scenario we have by manually changing channels using the buttons on the set, itself. If this is the case, then the hub will work for you.

1 Like

Just as an example of the complexity, in one of the configurations, it works because it’s a smart TV and they put an app on the TV rather than a receiver in the room. Some of these will work with harmony and some will not, it depends on the TV model.

As far as whether the TV itself changes channels or does the TV stay on the same channel while the feed changes… you know I really don’t know. I wasn’t around when they first hooked up her TV and never had a reason until now to check this out. Guess I only need to try switching channels from the TV itself and see if I lose the feed.

2 Likes

Just a couple of last minute questions.

1. If I find out I can’t change channels via the TV itself and it has to be on channel 3 or 4 is there any reason to waste my time inputting her channel lineup into the Harmony software?

2. All I should have to do is add a device (TV) and create one Activity “Watch TV” correct… nothing else?

3. Since I won’t have a Harmony remote during my setup is it going to want me to verify whether the Samsung TV model I input… works with Volume, Power Off/On?

It depends. If the TV is the only device in the room and you can’t change the channels then there’s no reason to put in the channels. If there is also a control box, then that will be a second device and you will put the channels in on it.

1. All I should have to do is add a device (TV) and create one Activity “Watch TV” correct… nothing else?

Yes. As long as you use the “favorites“ to add the channels when you first set up the TV.

1. Since I won’t have a Harmony remote during my setup is it going to want me to verify whether the Samsung TV model I input… works with Volume, Power Off/On?

It’s going to ask you to verify it, but it will also let you skip that step to do later. So since your wife is going to use the Echo Dot, you’ll verify that everything by voice is working after you add that skill.

Good luck! :sunglasses:

Well I’m a little dejected I couldn’t get the hub set up despite being on the phone with Logitech support probably 45 minutes. It’s kind of hard to remember everything that happened and in what order but I’ll try. I set it up my myself and I thought everything went smoothly I even took the time adding channels despite not knowing they would work. I was able to connect the hub to the WiFi network over there and then suddenly I couldn’t… I was able to link her Echo to the Harmony Hub.

When I first went through the setup the hub was working (sort of) because it asked for me to verify it was shutting the TV Off/On and it did. But after creating the Watch TV Activity and giving it a try it though… it wouldn’t turn the TV Off/On.

Also I was getting a strange side effect where if the hub was plugged in it shot the volume on the TV to max and I had to hold down the minus button on remote to keep it from climbing. Now if I unplugged the hub the TV went back to working normally.

It was at this point I called for help. The Logitech support guy had me reset the hub several times and begin the setup all over but when I got to the screen to login to their WiFi it always timed out or got an error. The WiFi over there used to be terrible but they installed a new system the first of the week and it seemed to be working fine. Logitech had me try turning off the WiFi on my wife’s iPad and then turn back on and it connected immediately.

He would never go as far to say there was something wrong with the hub itself but rather kept saying there had to be something wrong with nursing homes network. Do you guys agree it’s totally a network issue or could I have a faulty hub?

He said the only thing he could think of was take it home and try to set up a tv to it and see if it works or just get my money back. I already have a Harmony Hub at home but he said that wasn’t an issue… I could add another.

Is it safe to add another hub I definitely don’t want to screw up my hub? I’m pretty disappointed do you think I should try it at home, send it back because it’s faulty, or just get my money back?

My guess is it’s the nursing home network, and I think the advice to try setting it up at home is good, I would just unplug your smartthings hub before adding it to make sure it doesn’t get added to smartthings as well. Just a short test to see if you get the same kind of crazy volume issue.

When other thought… When you go over to the nursing home, are you able to connect to their Wi-Fi from your own phone? I’m just wondering if there’s some admin step required for the devices of residents.

Yes anyone that visits can login to their network they freely give out the login credentials.

How does it make sense that my phone and my wife’s phone and iPad were all running on their WiFi network today yet the Harmony Hub couldn’t connect?

Have you ever heard of a Harmony Hub messing with a TV’s volume like that?

So you do think it’s safe to add another hub as long as I unplug my hub?

is your wife’s tablet connecting on 2.4 GHz or 5.0? Also, what’s the brand and model of whatever device you were using to run the harmony app question

Have you ever heard of a Harmony Hub messing with a TV’s volume like that?

I haven’t, but it’s certainly possible.

So you do think it’s safe to add another hub as long as I unplug my hub?

Sure as long as you disconnect The harmony again before you re-power the smartthings hub. Also use a different email account.

I was using my wife’s new iPad Mini 5 and it was connected at 2.4 GHz.

1 Like

JD I’m going to try to test the Harmony Hub tomorrow if I get a chance. When you say use a different email account are you saying to create a new Harmony account using a difference email?

After I’ve added the Harmony Hub as a 2nd hub to my Amazon App won’t it show I’ve already enabled the Harmony Skill and linked it to a Harmony Hub?

My wife was on her iPad Mini last night trying to use a coloring app and it kept saying a slow connection where she finally had to quit… but this morning it’s just fine. I wonder if it is her internet even though we had 3 devices connected yesterday.

1 Like

Yes to both. Just set it up as a whole new device on a whole new account. Just to keep things simple while you are trying to troubleshoot this particular hub.

I don’t know if it’ll make a difference, but when I installed my Hub, I did the blue skill. It wasn’t until much later that I added the red skill (to control the volume.) Repeat your setup at home just like you did at the nursing home, and if the volume still shoots up, try using the blue skill only.

Just throwing stuff out there, but another possibility may be the volume button on the Harmony hub is stuck or dirty. You could remove the batteries from the remote to make sure it’s not shooting out unnecessary commands.

1 Like

The harmony hub doesn’t have a volume button. It’s like the smartthings hub, it just sends out commands to other devices.

You change volume with the app or by voice or by the separate harmony companion remote if you want a button device.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-Control-Entertainment-Devices/dp/B00N3RFC4Q

That’s the remote I was referring to. I was just trying to think of anything else that could be sending the volume commands.

Well was going to try to adding the Harmony Hub at home this morning to try it out with a office TV but guess I can’t figure out how to create a new account or add a second hub to Amazon App. I’m a little paranoid about screwing up my existing hub.

First I can’t even figure out how to log out of my Harmony app so I can create a new account as you suggested JD.

Maybe I should wait until in the morning so a Harmony tech can talk me through this.

Letting harmony tech-support help you sounds like the best idea.

Or maybe invite your friend over to show you how to set it up (assuming you’re still friends :stuck_out_tongue: )

1 Like

Does the network use a regular wifi password to connect, or does it use a captive portal (web page that you need to use for login)?

1 Like

Ok well I was on the phone with Harmony support for quite awhile this morning and it wouldn’t connect to my WiFi either until we figured out something. For some reason it wouldn’t connect using the Harmony app on my iPad but once we tried using the MyHarmony desktop software on my PC it worked!

I was also using my wife’s iPad app at the nursing home so maybe that explains something. I never tried using my Android phone app so maybe it works or maybe not.

The support tech said sometimes the Harmony mobile app has issues logging into WiFi whereas MyHarmony software doesn’t.

Anyway we added my office TV to Harmony and got it to control On/Off, Volume Up/Down, and Mute as it should so happy about that. I’ll probably take the hub back to the nursing home on Friday and give it another go. If I can get it to connect to WiFi and control the basic TV functions I think I’ll be happy.

I didn’t mention it the other day since I couldn’t even connect to WiFi over there but I was able to change DirecTV channels from the TV itself. The maintenance guy happened to walk by the room and I able to ask him a question. He said each tv has it’s own receiver box located in a closet so there would be like 60 receivers in there then there is coax ran to each room. He said he didn’t think I’d be able to change channels using Alexa but wasn’t sure.

1 Like