Turn off all light when in Night mode (using button)

Hello guys,

I’m new to Smartthings and have already set everything up so far. I want to turn off all lights when I switch to Night mode. I have already realized that Night mode is only available in the Classic Smartthings app so I have switched from the new app to the classic app.

Unfortunately, I got another problem. I’m using a button to switch from home mode to night that I have directly next to my bed.
When I’m using the “Button Controller” under smart app, I can only add the lights but can’t tell it to turn them off so it just toggles them when I press the button. So when I press the button they will be turned off or turned on if they are already off.

So I thought about using a scene where I can tell the app to turn all the light off. Unfortunately, I can’t tell the “Button Controller” to activate a scene when I press the button only a mode.

Is there any workaround to this that I have overlooked?

Thanks!

The three default modes are the same for both versions of the app, so there is a night mode there. If you didn’t see it, you were probably looking at security.mode rather than location.mode. I suggest reading the following FAQ. Although the specific examples are from the classic app, the use case examples will all apply to either version of the smartthings app, and it should help you understand the difference.

FAQ: Armed/Disarmed states vs Away/Home modes confusion

Once you understand the difference, I strongly suggest you go back to using the new V3 version of the app. The classic is going to be discontinued, and although they haven’t said exactly when, you will save yourself some headaches if you just work with a new one for now unless you have a very specific reason for continuing to use the old one.

Once you are using the new app, you should be able to have a button activate a scene. :sunglasses:

And you can use the official smart lighting feature in the new app to have something happen when the location.mode changes to night:

2 Likes

I hope you are not using the ST Button. I have 2 of these and I cannot keep them online. I have had no luck at all with these.