Turn lights on Yale lock only when entering code (entering from outside)?

I don’t know if this is possible, but I set up an automation to turn the lights on in my living room+dining room when my Yale lock on the front door unlocks. But unfortunately it causes the lights to turn on even when unlocking the deadbolt from the inside. I wish the lights would only come on when coming home, and entering the code/unlocking the door from the exterior. It’s kind of annoying because I turn them lights off when leaving and then unlock the door, and they turn right back on. (And otherwise I’m standing in the open door shouting at Alexa to turn the lights off. lol)

I guess an alternative would be to setup another automation to turn the lights off when I lock the door. But again, I’d really only want that occur when I lock the door via the exterior keypad. When I’m home and “playing” with deadbolt to look outside for any number of reasons I really don’t want the state of the lights to change.

I’m not sure if this is something Yale would need to change with their API or something smartthings could hook into.

Thank you

It is certainly possible to trigger specific automation when specific user codes are entered. But you would need advanced custom code to do this.

And if you have a model lock that has a key option, it might not trigger on the key being used.

@RBoy has created a library of advanced code behind a pay wall. You pay one fee and you get access to all of the code there. It has been very popular among those who are willing to pay additional fees.

I know he has some code that can do this if you’re interested in looking at that option.

Otherwise you would need to search the forums for other code that does something similar, but a lot of it is not being kept up-to-date these days while people wait to see what the new platform is going to look like. One of the advantages of rboy’s library is that he has kept it up-to-date for the new platform. But you can certainly search and see what you can find.

Depending on the model lock, you can also probably do this with Webcore. :sunglasses:

See, for example, the following discussion (the topic title is a clickable link)

2 Likes

Very cool, I’ll check out the Rboy stuff. Hopefully works with this Yale lock (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XXK4191/) no key…

Thanks for help!

1 Like

Yes LUM should work with this lock for notifications and custom actions, infact this lock has some advanced features (some feature depend on the z-wave module included with the lock) which you may be able to access using the enhanced z-wave lock device handler.

1 Like

Great, thank you for the confirmation! I was about to email the support contact on your website to get ask before paying for the license but had pretty much come to the conclusion it should work and didn’t want to bother you unnecessarily. lol

1 Like