Trying to use Vera as Secondary... almost ok, but

Hi! I am trying to use my old VERA as a secondary / externder of signal to reach out to some Zwave micro switches around the house.

I have already been able to include the VERA and the switches in Smarthings. I see them both at my “things” list.

But… when I trigger to use the micro switches from Smarthings…nothing happens.

When I log into my old VERA…I do see the micro switch…and it works when I trigger it.

Any idea of what i might be missing? Ideally…I would want that when I trigger the micro switch in my Smarthings, the request goes through the Vera (used as an extender) and then reaches the micro switch.

Thanks in advance!

nico

btw: could I buy another Smartthings and use them as secondary…just to extend the range of the signal???

thanks! nico

I personally like buying useful devices as repeaters.

1 Like

Buy a z-wave plug or wall switch that would be useful. Those work as repeaters.

Hi Brian! And thanks for the reply. I agree that initially that would sound as the easiest solution…but…the thing is that i am in a 220v country while using the US zwave freq. So…there are limited options for me to buy. Thats why i wanted to use the Vera (110v/220v) that i already have as a repeater…plus, I imagine that Vera would provide larger range than an module… Thoughts? Thanks for the help!

Hi Zebrablinds! And thanks for the reply. I agree that initially that would sound as the easiest solution…but…the thing is that i am in a 220v country while using the US zwave freq. So…there are limited options for me to buy. Thats why i wanted to use the Vera (110v/220v) that i already have as a repeater…plus, I imagine that Vera would provide larger range than an module… Thoughts? Thanks for the help!

You can’t have two SmartThings hubs on the same network for the same “location.” Which means they can’t control the same devices. Has to do with how the cloud account works.

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-gb/articles/203064530-Can-I-use-two-Hubs-in-one-Location-

If all you need is a repeater, just get a regular Z wave device that acts as a repeater, which is pretty much anything that is mains powered except smoke alarms. So a light switch, a pocket socket, an in wall relay, a plug-in motion sensor. Of these, pocket sockets and plug in motion sensors are the easiest, because there’s no wiring required.

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Repeaters

As to the problems you’re seeing, although you can technically add a secondary controller like Vera to smartthings, it’s not really set up for that and doesn’t support all of the Z wave controller command sets. So you do tend to see a lot of synchronization issues.

It’s not impossible, and some community members have done it for specific projects, but if you don’t have a very specific reason to add another controller, just use a regular device that repeats. :sunglasses:

1 Like