Trying to setup 3 way switch GE Smart Switch Z Wave [SOLVED]

So you get no resistance between what wires?

Just to make sure. Did you do this? Take a long length of wire. Wirenut it at the slave or master. Take it to the other switch. Touch one probe to that wire then the other to each of the remaining wires. When you’ve done this you should have two maybe three with no resistance. One may have resistance because it’s actually going through the lights.

:neutral_face: Yep. [quote=“TN_Oldman, post:39, topic:72375”]
I am starting to think your a little over your head in this.
[/quote]

:no_mouth: I’m starting to think the same thing. I apologize if I come off as borderline inept and understand if that’s not something you want to deal with. On the up side, I’ve learned a lot.

Yeah I misunderstood. I took the two probes and placed them on the same wire. Then I thought I had the idea figured out and with the power back on tested resistance with the hot wire and other wires. Not my brightest moment(s).

Main

Don’t hire an electrician. Even if you get frustrated and quit a second smart switch is cheaper than an electrician. Unless you can find one that works for beer.

We are making progress. Painfully slow and s tad bit dangerous. The electricity is far more dangerous to your house than it is to you :slight_smile: so please keep the electricity turned off until this is figured out. You could end up starting a fire inside a wall or some other place that circuit goes.

Do you have a length of wire that will stretch between the two switches? Even speaker wire will do.

I do not.
I’m about ready to call it quits. I just don’t think I have the intellectual capacity to figure it out, but knowing me it’s going to be like an itch and every time I have a minute to look at it, I’m going to try some other combination.
The Add on:

The main: Just as a note, the red and black wires on the left were originally twisted together.

More pictures. I don’t want to think I can’t get it setup because I’m failing to provide information.

Got frustrated and managed to remove a light fixture:

Please don’t try different combinations.

Looking at the picture from just now you have line and hot. They both don’t measure voltage do they? Also, all the wires are not disconnected. There are still two whites pigtailed.

Something else may be disconnected. Do you know what it is if there is something?

The picture you just posted of the light. What color are the wires. On the bottom?

Within reason. Oddly enough, the version that had the stair lights working I didn’t think would work.

I thought knowing they were neutral kinda made them exempt.I’ll untie them, no problem.

You mean at the bottom light?

Huh, the lights terminate at the bottom. I thought they went all the way to the add-on.

On the picture of the light there are three wirenuts. I can see black/black and white/white but the other i can’t make out.

Also you said stair lights. Are they on the same circuit? These are off when all the wires are disconnected?

Yeah, they’re all on the same circuit. I’m going to take the light apart again and post a picture here in a second.

Sent on my Virgin Mobile Samsung Galaxy S® 5

Sent on my Virgin Mobile Samsung Galaxy S® 5

It’s a ground.

Do you see a red wire up there? Are there other lights connected to this light?

So when all the wires are disconnected and the breaker is turned on do the stair lights work?

Also was there a short piece of wire in there or did one of the terminals on the old switch have two wires connected?

It’s 3 lights. I don’t see a red wire. I’m thinking this is close:

I didn’t touch it up. The brown question marks are my big questions.

[Completion edit: disregard diagram, see completion diagram]

Ok lets forget about your drawing for now. Are the all in the ceiling like this one? You can put that one back on and check the others we are looking for the red wire. But I’m still not sure on the hot wire. There was only one wire with voltage with all wires seperated right?

I’ve taken off each on and they’re the all the same. Black, white and ground. I opened them and looked for a red.

Only one hot wire when separated, yes.

He said earlier it was a series of 3 lights with 2 switches.

@Kato

I believe this is what we’re looking at!!

White and black coming out of each light box. When he connected the red & black in remote box together he completed the circuit. That’s why main switch worked.

If this IS what he has we may be able to figure it out yet.

There’s an extra black in the main switch box I can’t identify or figure out where it fits in?