Trying to add Nest

I’m trying to add our two Nests to ST. First, let me state that the entire SmartApp add process for custom apps needs to be revamped.

Here is what I did…

• Followed instructions at Github - not sure if this is where I should be looking
  • Copied code from Github

I then get the following error when trying to Save

java.lang.RuntimeException: Metadata Error: input() can only be invoked inside a section definition @ line 58

I have no idea what to do next to get this working.

It sounds like you’re adding it as a SmartApp (and forgive me if you’re not, your description makes that sound like that may be the case).

I’d try creating a new device type, pasting in the code you grabbed already. Then create a new device that is a Nest device type. That ought to work. That said, I don’t have a Nest, so I can’t say for certain!

If you’re already doing those steps, then I’m just adding noise and you can safely ignore me until the more competent folks come along. :slight_smile:

Yep, that was it…too much wine tonight with friends! I have it added now. However, I don’t think it likes the heat&cool setting I have my Nest set to. I’m not in heat only or cool only mode, I’m in the combo mode. Activity stream says the heating and cooling set points were set to 68. My Nest is set to 62 heat and 76 cool at the moment. ???

Hah, glad it worked! :smiley:

@Dianoga can probably respond to any actual issues with the device type, since he wrote it originally.

I don’t use the range mode, so I didn’t build it to handle that. Right now both heating and cooling setpoints will be the same temperature. Handling the range options shouldn’t be too difficult, but it may clutter up the device settings for people who don’t use it.

Also, the standalone device type has a number of shortcomings that I have since fixed in an updated version that isn’t quite ready for release. It should be considerably easier to add devices and won’t suffer from the same login issues. I’m still working with @dlieberman to get it available to you guys.

Could this be solved by two versions - one using the range and one without? I understand the interface issue. I guess there is no way to dynamically show things in the interface based on a query of the device?

I’ll figure something out. I don’t promise speed. Lots of things going on now in real life.

No problem. I control it from the Nest app anyway. Just looking forward to some integration, but not in any rush. :smile: