Troubleshooting Aeon Labs Home Energy Meter v1

I can help you with GitHub, is really easy…

1 Like

@johnconstantelo I apologize if I should be starting a new thread for this, but I am using your code and I am having trouble with the kWh and cost not being displayed/calculated.

It looks like it isn’t even being reported for some reason. Any ideas why that might be? I have attached a screenshot of the events screen after a reset command is sent.
Thank you for any assistance in advance!!

1 Like

Hi @Ryan_Mccoy,

This is the perfect place to post your question for help, so no worries!

Let’s look at something. In the IDE, what is the value for “kWhCost”, or in the phone app, what is the value for “$/kWh”?. Does it look like this in the IDE: (ignore the displayEvents line because you don’t have it)

You may need to re-enter a value, and/or tap the Configure tile.

1 Like

Thanks @johnconstantelo!

When I first changed my energy meter to your device handler, the value was blank. However I changed it to the current rate here ($0.10). It is being recognized both by the phone app and the IDE with the correct value as a string value. Here is a screenshot just because.

Excellent! Are you all good and is the cost displaying correctly? I need to fix my code to make sure if no value is detected to force a default.

Unfortunately the kWh and cost are still not being displayed. When I said it was being recognized, I meant the string value I entered for the cost. Sorry about the confusion. I looked through your code, and it appears that you have the default as .16 so I’m not entirely sure why that wasn’t taking.

@Ryan_Mccoy, are you running the HEM on batteries or USB power? Running on batteries alone limits the HEM to only report data for kWh only a few times an hour to preserve batteries.

I am running it on batteries. I don’t have a convenient way to run power into the breaker box, nor the HEM outside the breaker box. It also appears that the HEM is not refreshing automatically. Only when a manual refresh command is sent.

Yep, that’s it. Here’s a detailed documentation on the HEM:

http://ozw.my-ho.st/Aeon/Engineering%20Spec%20-%20Aeon%20Labs%20Home%20Energy%20Meter.pdf

Parameter 12 would have to be enabled, and that would still only report every 4 minutes when just running on batteries.

I enabled parameter 12 and it works perfectly. Thank you!

1 Like

Excellent news, glad it’s working for you!

Hi there, a general question for you. My HEM seems to be working ok straight from the box, so I didn’t bother updating the firmware on it. However, the tiles look like this after a week or so. I know the main tile is broke since last Android app update. What should be in the middle box? And can we move the min/max on it, instead of waiting for ST to fix the app?

Hi @SBDOBRESCU, interesting behavior. Here’s what mine looks like (w/the messed up Android version):

Min/Max could be shrunk down to fit on a single line, and the center shows what was last reset. Since you’re not seeing that info, and before making any change, we need to look at what’s causing your device to not show the same thing as mine. You may need to tap on Configure again, and/or Reset for each, and/or Refresh. Are you also running on batteries?

I am plugged in. I hit refresh/reset/config. The refresh updated the W instantly, the reset erased the cost and kwh and the config didn’t seem to have done anything…Just updated to your recent code too

Just as a data point, mine looks just like John’s. Only error is the main tile cut off.

Hey, sorry I spoke too soon. After updating the code everything is displaying correctly now! Nice work…

1 Like

@SBDOBRESCU, Thanks! Now we just SmartThings to fix the Android app…

1 Like

I still belive that it might look better to move the reset data on main tile and the min/max in the middle…

Hi @greg,

Check this out:

3 Likes

One more question for you, @johnconstantelo should battery reporting be working properly? It doesn’t look like it’s actually reporting a battery condition at all. It also seems that in the log on the phone app, only min/max conditions are being shown. Is this intentional? Thanks again for your help!