Troubleshooting Aeon Labs Home Energy Meter v1

No problem @e_banks. Just make sure to comment that line out so that other config settings will stay, otherwise the default reporting method will be used. That may work out well for you, or you can look up at post 57 to see more detail. The comments in the device type code also explain what each does.

Is there a way to have it not show up in the activity feed but still report every 15 seconds?

Hi @greg, I think so, and I would like that as well. Let me finish up another project real quick and I can look at this for yaā€™.

1 Like

I tried using this code as I am experiencing same issues on this post but I am getting an error message. I am sure its newbie related but could use some guidanceā€¦

I tried copy/paste of the code into IDE as a new smartApp. I did it from code tab and clicked create to get the above error.

I am not sure if this is relevant but when I compare my device to what youā€™ve posted above I only see 2 current states, energy and powerā€¦

@beezey0 Make sure you add the code as a device handler, not as a smart app.

@johnconstantelo any clue why I donā€™t get kWh value? I get the watts perfectly but Iā€™ve never got the kWh value.

Thanks

@pmcnano, are you running on batteries? If so thatā€™s why. Thereā€™s another discussion somewhere in the community with a link to Aeonā€™s documentation where you can see the difference between running on batteries vs USB power.

@johnconstantelo yes indeed. Thakns man!

1 Like

@johnconstantelo I followed much of your advice / code and was able to get my HEM v1 up and running with no issues in about 15 minutes. Thanks for everything you do for the ST community!

As a side note / question for the group, I am getting ranges from ~600 watts up to 22,000 watts (when our electric aux heat is on). When the heat pump only is running it is around 3,000 watts. Seem reasonable?

Youā€™re welcome @Kurt_Backlund, thanks for those comments!

1 Like

Thank you so much @johnconstantelo for your V3 code thatā€™s been running like a champ.

FYI, I also got the NULL problem and then I finally figured out why your app and MANY others are doing this to me. The key is the DEFAULT value is actually NOT saved. Specifically the energy cost field. You have to re-type the darn thing. In my opinion, you can do a few things like checking for NULL there and defaulting the 0.16 value in code if it is NULL. However, retyping it and saving fixed my NULL issue.

Thanks again, looks and runs great!

1 Like

I have used the code from @xcguy and it seems to populate more than the code from Barry Burke on Github. Iā€™m not a programmer and a newbie to smartthings so Iā€™m trying to follow. One thing about this code (android) with HEM1 is that under edit device on preferences, it does not say what the figure are although it appears to have picked up changes and is using $/kWh .026 then it is blank heading and 120 and 30 also with a blank heading. On the code that Barry had those actually did have titles. is there some modification to that code that I could do? Thank you!

Iā€™m still figuring out a lot of things about ST, so this may not make any sense, butā€¦

Rather than populating the activity feed with all this data, can you make it go to a Google Apps spreadsheet? I see other SmartApps doing this; is there a way for me to integrate this app with an already extant logging app?

Hey, just wanted to see if you had a chance to work on this yet? Also, Iā€™m not able to add you to my ST github integration? Are you not doing that or am I doing it wrong? I noticed a difference between your device handlerā€™s namespace and your actual github.

Hi @greg, yeah I have based on another community developed handler for Aeonā€™s switch. I have to make more changes to my handler than expected, but I am working on that right now. Give me just a little bit longer?

1 Like

@johnconstantelo, I just need to wait a little longer before I buy a device to make sure you get it before me to customize it. lolā€¦You beat me to the Keen vents, beat me by far to the HEMā€¦I am using both handlers and both work great. No issues. Thanks for all your contributions!

1 Like

Thanks @SBDOBRESCU!

@greg, done!

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/constjs/SmartThings-Devices/master/aeon_hemv1.device.groovy

All activity is now excluded from being posted to the Activity Feed (Recently tab) and Event Log, except when min/max values are calculated/changed, and when anything is reset.

You can now set the HEM to instantly report at low thresholds for watts and % changed without flooding activity/logs.

3 Likes

Really appreciate it John.

Again I have so many of your device types in use! Any chance you will enable github integration?

Thanks @greg. I am in process of building the correct directory structure and making sure it works. Stay tuned!

2 Likes

Please please please donā€™t name it SmartThingsPublic! Itā€™s impossible to tell them all apart from the ā€œupdate repoā€ button.

2 Likes