Troubleshooting Aeon Labs Home Energy Meter v1

Thanks @johnconstantelo!

I went into device Preferences and entered the default settings. The errors are gone now. I no longer get the ‘unhandled event’ messages either. One minor thing is that even though I press ‘Done’ in device Preferences only once, it seems to print out the debug messages twice in the log.

I’m still not getting a read on my energy use though. Any other thoughts on things I should try?

On my question about best ‘driver’–I really meant to ask which firmware is best. Which version of the firmware would you recommend?

Thanks!

Yeah, that’s a platform issue instead of a DTH problem. It’s frustrating because that should not be happening, but it won’t hurt anything.

If you’re still not getting anything, then remove the “//” on lines 178 and 184 in the code you’re using and watch live logging to see what the device is sending. You should see something like this:

Ah, I understand now. I recommend the latest because it does resolve wildly crazy numbers that can show up at times.

Thanks again! This was helpful. I can see the messages coming in now. Here is an example:

7:47:24 PM: debug Parse received zw device: 13, command: 3202, payload: 21 74 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
7:47:09 PM: debug zwaveEvent received MeterReport(meterType: 33, meterValue: [0, 0, 0, 0], precision: 3, scale: 2, scaledMeterValue: 0.000, size: 4)
7:47:09 PM: debug Parse received zw device: 13, command: 3202, payload: 21 74 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
7:47:02 PM: debug zwaveEvent received MeterReport(meterType: 33, meterValue: [0, 0, 0, 0], precision: 3, scale: 0, scaledMeterValue: 0.000, size: 4)
7:47:02 PM: debug Parse received zw device: 13, command: 3202, payload: 21 64 00 00 00 00 00 3C 00 00 00 00
7:46:54 PM: debug zwaveEvent received MeterReport(meterType: 33, meterValue: [0, 0, 0, 0], precision: 3, scale: 2, scaledMeterValue: 0.000, size: 4)
7:46:54 PM: debug Parse received zw device: 13, command: 3202, payload: 21 74 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

The log messages were coming in once a minute and so I found the ReportType parameter in the device Preferences and set it to 0 and began receiving more messages. So it looks like my Device Handler is working properly then.

I see the payload is zeros, so now I just need to figure out why it’s not getting a reading.

Is the most recent version of the firmware 3.67? I’m having a hard time tracking it down for some reason on Aeon’s support site.

Thanks!

Yup, that’s most current version. You’ll find it easier here:

http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Aeon_HomeEnergyMonitor

Thanks again for all the help!

It looks like at this point my problem has to be the initial installation step–the step I was initially the most confident in. I opened my breaker box again today to check everything. I’m pretty sure I have my HEM clamps installed in the correct place: one around each of the two large lines leading into the main 200A breaker.

The instructions that came with my HEM hardware V1 did not really discuss whether the clamps themselves needed to be oriented in a specific way. After reviewing the manuals for Aeon’s two most recent HEMs (here and here), it looks like the clamps may need to be oriented in a specific way (e.g., K->L, L->K). I’m wondering if anyone else who has there HEM V1 working had to do this?

Any other tips on things to check are appreciated.

I’m thinking though that even if I had the clamps backwards, I should probably still be getting some reading–does that make sense?

Thanks!

I finally got my HEM hardware V1 working today. I thought I would briefly document here (for posterity) what worked for me–in case this is of help to others in the future.

After checking and re-checking my HEM hardware V1 clamps, I decided there must be something wrong with the clamps or something wrong with the hardware that reads the signal from the clamps. So I contacted the place I purchased my HEM V1 from and obtained a replacement.

I setup the new replacement HEM V1 the exact same way that I had setup the old one. I did my best to follow the guidance here on the orientation of the clamps (e.g., K->L, L->K)–it’s not entirely clear to me whether this matters but I followed it as best as I could ensuring they were oriented in opposite directions. This time when I turned it all back on it worked!

I had upgraded the firmware to version 3.67, which as I understand it is the most recent. Unfortunately, all of the data was reflecting very high readings so I decided to downgrade to firmware version 3.64 and that worked for me–after the downgrade the data seems reasonable.

Thanks again to @johnconstantelo for writing and maintaining this ST device handler!

1 Like

I’m having the exact same problem as you with the Aeon Home Energy Meter v1. Can you tell me if you got yours working, and if so, what was the solution?

Thanks!

Hi @PlanetUSA,

By “having the exact same problem as you” what exactly do you mean? Can you elaborate?

In the end, my main problem appeared to be with a faulty HEMv1. I returned it and the replacement I received worked.

I’ve added this DTH and tried with two HEMv1 but it never shows up in “Add a Thing”. Ideas? The HEM is blinking steady on/off red.

have you tried first doing exclusion?

You go to z-wave utilities.
Start exclusion process, tap the button behind the battery cover.
once you get confirmation device is excluded you start ‘add a thing’ and tap the same button behind battery cover.

Yes, I have tried exclusion and followed your process. I don’t get any confirmation that it was excluded…would I expect to see that in Live Logging?

Go figure. I tried the same process a few more times and it took. One down, one to go. Thanks for the help!

You should get exclusion message, it wont say the device’s name, if excluded successfully ‘unknown device excluded’

Cool cool. good to see it worked :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, with the state this industry is in (not sure if we’ve moved from toddler to adolescent yet or what), this seems all too common.

I’ve had EXACTLY the same experience many times with all kinds of devices…From Xiaomi Smart Buttons to BloomSky Weather Stations, etc.

Hello, I am looking for guidance just installed my V1 yesterday using the DH that Aoen Labs sent me. It only updates every 5 minutes which I am okay with. I am not using batteries I dont even have them installed. It does reset. I really cant use it [quote=“xcguy, post:5, topic:30962, full:true”]
I’ve had pretty rock solid performance with my HEM V1 setup. I’ve been using a modified device type, tracks the energy usage on monthly basis and daily high/low wattage. You might give it a try, see if it helps?

[/quote]

Hello I installed my V1 yesterday its new but has 3.60 firmware. I am not using batteries. I am using the DH that Aoen Labs sent me. It seems to only update every 5 minutes which I am okay with. However I would have to physically reset it everday or month to get any use out of it. It seems to function okay. However hard to get any use out of it with current state.
Should I be using a different DH. Would you mind giving me some advice.

So, I am installing my 5th Aeon Labs energy reader to monitor the dishwasher. (I’ve currently got 2 monitoring panels, 1 monitoring my AC compressor, one monitoring my dryer.) What has made this easy on all my prior installs is that they all had 2 hot ‘leads’ to the breaker in question or to the panel. On this dishwasher install, it’s on a small single breaker with only 1 lead. So how would I go about this install? Only use 1 clamp? Put both clamps on the same lead to the breaker? Put one clamp on the ground?

If you are wondering why I am doing this, it is the same as for the dryer. I use these to monitor the energy pulled for webCoRE pistons to notify us when a dryer load has started and when it has ended. (I do the same for the washing machine but I am able to simply use a plug in energy monitor for it.) My wife has liked it so much for the laundry I am adding it for the dishwasher as well since our dishwasher is so quiet she forgets all about it and doesn’t realize a load is done and therefore doesn’t do another, etc.

So I believe I’ve answered my own question. I decided to try just using a single clamp, and that appears to be working great. Dishwasher is pulling about 75W, so that should work great for what I’m doing. Just thought I would post here is anyone else runs into this same question.

1 Like

Has anyone else had problems pairing their device with Smartthings? I have a Gen 1 and the light is blinking red, but in the app, when I click ‘Add a thing’, it does not find anything. I have moved it near the hub and with and without the probes connected. nothing. Any help would be appreciated.

I just installed the same model. I found in one of these posts the mention of a black button on the inside of the box that you need to push to prior to hitting + ADD A THING

I am looking for a SMARTAPP for this device if you happen to run across one.

Good luck