Transformer Hum with GE Smart Switch

128gkv

2 Likes

Sorry for the late reply. I was out of the country.
The will work for as long as the required voltage for your flat discs matches what the dimming switch provides, either directly or through a dimming LED driver.

That’s really interesting. Thanks for this, and I’ll look into it ASAP

LED’s operate at low voltage, using direct current. The transformer you speak of is most likely very much required to operate your LED lights. No off-the shelf Zigbee or Z-Wave mains-voltage (i.e. 120-240 VAC) dimmer switches are going to output the proper power for directly connecting to your LED lights without the transformer. I believe this is why @rontalley responded the way he did. I had the same reaction - @NomadTech needs to explain in more detail what he is proposing.

There are some devices that are capable of directly controlling LED strips, for example. I searched back through this thread and do not see where you ever provided a link or model number to the lights you’re using. That would probably help us to be better able to provide suggestions. I have to believe that the LED pendants and their transformer are a matched set.

1 Like

Sorry for that - here’s a link to the light, and thanks for the reply:

https://www.overstock.com/Lighting-Ceiling-Fans/VONN-Lighting-VMC31810BL-Salm-17-inch-Modern-Disc-Chandelier-in-Black/12064614/product.html

It was a generic suggestion that I actually implemented on one of my fixtures as well as my range hood, not specific to this fixture. i reviewed Vonn’s installation guide and while they specifically say NOT to replace their LED driver with something else, I do believe you can still do it.
The only other suggestion I have is to verify if dimmer is ELV rated or call customer service.

This seems like the best and safest solution. Just use an ELV rated dimmer switch and things should work. I am not a fan of hacking together non-UL rated solutions when it comes to 120/240VAC devices. Safest has to be the top priority.

1 Like

Thanks all. I’ve been in touch with customer service, and tried multiple dimmers, including a Cooper ELV rated one. All of them perform exactly the same, which increasingly leaves me thinking it’s the transformer/light itself that’s the problem.

2 Likes