TP-Link Kasa Edge Driver (also LIFX)

Sadly, Lighting Groups doesn’t support color either.

I’m hoping @BarryA, @whoismoses or one of the other folks that worked on Lifx devices can enable local color sync someday.

Or, ideally, ST realizes this is basic stuff and enables it.

Oh, I didn’t know this driver didn’t support color adjustments for lighting groups. That’s useful information because I was just about to install this driver for my LIFX devices.

It has nothing to do with the driver. There is NO driver, stock or otherwise, that supports that. Lighting Groups itself would need to support color sync, and it doesn’t. Neither does Smart lighting.

@Mariano_Colmenarejo recently released a driver for Zigbee bulbs that allows this, but it doesn’t work with the stock Lighting Groups either, he has his own implementation within the driver.

Presently, it is impossible to sync LIFX bulb colors within the ST environment. The fact that @Mariano_Colmenarejo was able to do it with his driver indicates it may be possible for the Lifx one.

I’ve asked @nayelyz about this a few times but it doesn’t seem to be a priority for the dev team at the moment.

I really don’t want to replace my Lifx bulbs with Zigbee or Hue but there may be no choice. Sadly, the color saturation is second to none on Lifx vs the other brands.

Yeah, I understood what you meant but incorrectly phrased what I wanted to say: I didn’t know the ST app doesn’t control color of lighting groups. I’m guessing you have already checked the Smart lighting app and it doesn’t have this function either?

@BarryA does the HS300 still require setup via the TpLink app? Can it be configured and setup entirely in ST?

I believe you need to add it to your WiFi network with the Kasa app. You do NOT need to link the Kasa and ST accounts.

1 Like

Now I have 2 of every LIFX bulb and Switch after install.

Once you get the Edge Driver working you need to delete the official c2c integration. That should get rid of your doubles.

Thanks, removed LIFX linked services, (c2c I think). Now only 1 of each.
LIFX switches don’t work with this new driver. Maybe updates later on.

1 Like

Tagging @BarryA

1 Like

Hello everyone, any update on the Smartthings Wifi Mesh issue? I just enrolled on the beta channel, but non of my HS300 show up when scanning nearby (I have the wifi mesh hubs in router only setting and all hubs and HS300 are in the same subnet network)

I have an hs220 that keeps turning itself on after 10 mins or so. Is anyone else noticing similar? There are no routines firing at that time that could be triggering it. Could it be some kind of sync issue? Edit… Looks like this is happening with several tplink devices running locally with this edge driver. This is an always on media center but the history indicates it has been power cycling frequently.

What is the correct setup for the ST Wifi Mesh Hub to make this driver work?

1 Like

If you want to keep your current smartthings hub, without creating another smartthings hub…

1. Disable Wifi from your current hub
  2. Reset all other mesh hubs
  3. Make one of the reset hubs your new primary wifi
  4. Make the others (not the smartthings one) secondary to that new primary wifi
  5. Connect your current smartthings hub to the internet on your current subnet

Note:

1. You’ll be left with one less wifi hub to feed your mesh. Do NOT try to use the wifi (with the same SSID) on your current smartthings hub. It will mess up your connectivity.
  2. You may need to shuffle locations of your hubs around so that your new primary wifi hub is where your old smartthings/wifi hub was

OMG, so basically making one mesh hub behave as a stand alone ST hub (without the extra functionality of a V3).

I’m not sure that I want to disable one wifi mesh hub to gain the local control of this and others LAN edge drivers (Hue, Harmony). I just hope the smartthings team give this possibility to their wifi mesh hubs or at least give a migration function for us with older hubs to jump to an V3 and keep using smartthings.

1 Like

Yes and agreed.

First of all, thanks for the drivers.
The discovery part worked flawlessly for me and I was able to add all my Kasa Bulbs and Smart Plugs.

Then I tested local control. It works great too. So that’s all good.

Now the big issue. While local control works, there’s so much lag between the action (pressing the switch) and the result (light turning on off). Between 5-10 seconds. Sometimes it also doesn’t do any thing, because I guess there is time out.

To the point, going I am going with WiFi only now because it is near instant and works 100 % of the time.

More details:
I have TP Link Deco Mesh router. Turn out, if you have both TP Link Router (Deco) and the Kasa Bulb, they can be controlled locally by default. I tested it as well . Took out the ethernet cable but kept the wifi on.

Also evident by how Deco shows Bulbs (only Kasa)

See how it says “Wired” for a Bulb. I guess it is TP Link’s way of saying they can work without internet because clearly I did not put a Ethernet cable to my bulb.

While the local control works, it also has this insane lag and success rate of like 50% or so. Even though it is Zigbee (I guuss); the Wifi Way is still superior. This is only an issue with Kasa Local COntrol. My other Sonoff Zigbee Switch and Hue bulbs do not have this issue.

@sdbg this is happening to me as well with one of my kp115 plugs in Smartthings.
However, i setup up a routine in the Kasa app to turn on another light if that Kp115 turns off.
Smartthings reported the light turned on/off several times a day, sometimes more, but that Kasa routine never fired.
So smartthings is lying about the plug power cycling.

I experienced the same thing in that is duplicated the switches …. I had a different experience though in that the new driver based devices cannot turn the lights on or off from the app. The driver sees changes made to the lights but fails to make any changes. I didn’t try them through a routine yet.

Interesting. I’d say there is an issue here for sure then. I updated the drivers on several devices to the BETA version and also reset the device itself and added back through TP link app. This seems to have corrected the issue for local devices now. Neither are randomly turning on and off or reporting that they are, even if they actually wern’t in some cases. I assume updating to beta drivers is what fixed it…