TP Link Kasa Devices with new official integration (July 2019): reviews needed

It looks like Acashna uses the Smart Life app which I believe has IFTTT support which you could potentially use as a middle man. You can create virtual devices in Smartthings to represent your Acashna outlets. Then connect your Smartthings and Smart Life accounts to IFTTT to add your virtual and real outlets. From there create IFTTT applets to trigger the real outlets when the virtual ones are triggered, and vise versa. It will be clunky and there will be some delay but it’s something. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Derakkon - that was a really bright suggestion. I’ve used IFTTT and virtuals before, it just might do the trick! I won’t give it a try for a few days as I’m out bowling tournaments both today /Sunday. :slight_smile:
thanks!

1 Like

I use the custom setup on Classic & then it works perfect on both classic & new…

1 Like

Hi there,

New to WebCoRE, and trying to set up TP-Link mini plugs. Had to manually add to webcore (they are recognized in the Smartthings classic app), but ‘device’ commands in WebCoRE do not appear (only ‘location’ commands show up). I notice that under settings in groovy IDE, “Type” show as ‘placeholder’. Can anyone point me to the correct device handlers for these plugs?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Have you tried using the custom automation creator in the new app? It’s like a webCoRE lite. If it won’t work, you’ll have to install the community TP link integration and setup the devices again so they will work with older apps like webCoRE.

1 Like

Update: the official integration has now implemented callbacks, so it is two way/bi-directional. And it’s quite quick. I can make the change in the Kasa app, flip back to the SmartThings app and it updates within 2-3 seconds. AND it is now Works With SmartThings certified.

2 Likes

Awesome! :sunglasses:

Btw I tested with my rgbw Kasa bulb and all attributes updated. On/off, brightness, color temp and full color.

1 Like

Woo hoo! The official integration has been updated with status updates! :heart_eyes:

@Gutheinz @brad_st

2 Likes

@joshua_lyon it now works with SharpTool dashboard, too

2 Likes

Nice! We had done some work to enable support for the new Kasa integration in SharpTools.io around 2~3 months ago, but as you noted the Kasa integration didn’t have callbacks at the time which meant SmartThings could get out of sync with the physical device. :smiley:

4 Likes

To all here
The tp link official kasa integration supports callbacks with smartThings. You should see the state report / callback sent to ST when a command is given for devices in the kasa app.

Sorry … I do see that this is acknowledged already by @JDRoberts above
We have appropriate monitoring in place and we are seeing healthy callbacks rolling through
In a case , For individual Accounts , if you see that the callbacks are not working as expected , please do let us know and we shall immediately look into it.

2 Likes

ActionTiles was also updated a few weeks ago to be compatible.

It’s good to see that SmartThings is facilitating rapid integrations of this sort; since it is inevitable that there will be increasing prevalence of “Cloud-to-Cloud” WiFi based smart devices. All this despite their local network impacts (and lack of contribution to the home’s ZigBee and Z-Wave meshes…), and despite the reliance on YAC - Yet Another Cloud.

As for the latter point, the latency for state changes on the KASA Outlet appears to be trivial (by casual observation only), so that’s encouraging news for this architecture. But C2C integrated devices are obviously not eligible for local execution and thus increased reliability and speed.

4 Likes

Good to know!

1 Like

My smartthings and kasa are still not syncing. They will only sync if the control is done via ST. If I physically flip a switch or use the TPLink Kasa app to do so, Smartthings doesn’t update.

Does it work for anyone with the Classic App?

It does not work with Classic

1 Like

could you please elaborate? I can see the devices on the classic app but i can’t actuate

Many of the new integrations are using the new cloud platform which is why they will only work with the new V3 app.

You will see them on your device list in the classic app, but you won’t be able to do anything with them.

1 Like

Same here. New app and deleted/re-synced the Kasa integration. Still no change in ST if I use the Kasa app or Alexa.

© 2019 SmartThings, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

SmartThings; SmartApps®; Physical Graph; Hello, Home; and Hello, Smart Home are all trademarks of the SmartThings, Inc.