TP Link Kasa Devices with new official integration (July 2019): reviews needed

Dang I hope I cna get this to work. I wanted the power strip for surge protection, energy monitoring and if / then features.

1 Like

It looks like you should be able to get this to work, but it will require custom code.

@ernie might be able to say more.

For now I have a work around with the IFTTT app but would like a more direct solution.

1 Like

@Nameless mentioned they have this working for the “Kasa lite HS103”.

I have several “Kasa Smart Wi-Fi Plug Mini”, model HS103. I can’t see how to add them into SmartThings (the new app). Can someone walk me through it? If I try to add a device and choose TP-Link | Kasa Smart > Outlet, the HS103 is not listed, and regardless of whether I choose “Smart Plug Mini Lite”, “Smart WiFi Plug HS100”, or “Smart WiFi Plug Mini HS105” (those looked like the most likely ‘cousins’ of the HS103) it just spins (can’t find the device).

Or is mine a different model from the “Kasa lite HS103” you have working?

Thanks!

For me, I believe I had other devices added already with my Kasa integration. All I had to do was refresh the link for my other devices to come over.

If you don’t have any Kasa devices that are listed in the app, try a generic light bulb or something else besides the plugs. It may pick it up.

Did you get past the Kasa authorization page? If so, it may already be ready to add. Go into the linked services to see if Kasa is listed and open it there. Then check the very bottom of your devices list to see if they were added, but not to a room.

Duh, the spinner on the “choose a name and a room” page made me think it was trying to locate devices and I should wait. I ignored that and went ahead, and then was prompted for my credentials.

It found the devices, thanks!

2 Likes

Has anyone else had problems getting energy monitor plugs to import into ST with Dave’s smart app?

I’ve followed all instructions line by line, added all the plug DH but it only adds the non-EM plugs. It displays the EM plugs in the smart app but they don’t populate in ST.

Any ideas?

Ignore this…turns out I actually had the KP115 and the trick of adding that line into the SmartApp did the trick.

@Gutheinz not sure if it’s possible but maybe a revised Smart App would be useful to others who have bought a newer device?

Thanks!

I am a little lost and new to smartthings. How do you edit the smart app so you can add the line.

Hi Ian,

You need to log into the Smartthings IDE, it’s an online platform for more advanced settings. It’s the same place you install the app in.

There are plenty of tutorials in the forum on how to do this, the code you need to edit can be done at the same time of installation,

Cheers

Tim

Just to clarify but this thread is in regards to the official integration of tp link kasa which is a cloud-to-cloud integration. There are no settings in IDE that can be configured for this integration. You may be confused with an older groovy custom smartapp which is a totally different thread. It should be pointed out that groovy is scheduled to be shutdown later this year.

1 Like

Discussion of Dave’s smartapp should go in the thread about that code. This thread is for discussion of the official cloud to cloud integration, which cannot be edited by individual customers.

Here’s the link to Dave’s thread:

[Deprecated] New TP-Link/Kasa Plug, Switch, and Bulb Integration

Thanks Tim I followed your advice and it is working fine

I am struggling to get the Kp115 working with EM, the Smart app is not working on the new smartthings app. Is there a way to fix by creating custom DTH and assignment to the device using IDE route?

Do you have step by step guide of what you did. I am trying to make the EM work with KP115 kasa plugs

Thanks

This thread is for discussion of the official integration, which at the present time does not support energy monitoring.

For discussion of anything which involves custom code, use the other thread and someone will help you there.

[OBSOLETE] [Deprecated] New TP-Link/Kasa Plug, Switch, and Bulb Integration

Be aware, though, that the SmartThings-hosted groovy cloud where custom code runs is scheduled to go away in a few months, so it’s probably not a good idea to invest a lot of time or money in solutions based on that cloud.

Does the device still have limitations or has TP Link fixed them?

I bought two KP115 smart plugs this past week and can’t get energy usage through SmartThings.
The official integration still does not support it and when I contacted TP-Link they confirmed it only supports switch control and it doesn’t seem like they have any plans to expand that.

I followed the directions in this thread/the one linked above about the “deprecated” integration but was unable to get it to work. I think there is an incompatibility with the latest version of the SmartThings app. I’m able to install all the code but when I go to add my devices to the custom app, it just says “Something went wrong. Please try to install the SmartApp again” and refuses to open. I’ve tried so many times with no success.

At this point I’m considering returning the TP-Link switches because I’m tried of wasting my time with them when they won’t work properly and the manufacture is pretty much refusing to update their driver to offer full support because they think their Kasa app is superior when it’s not.

2 Likes

I was able to get the deprecated code to work. I installed it and the device handler.

I then had to relink the TP link devices since this doesn’t make use of the official integration.

You also need to set the network parameters to look for the devices on your network.

The energy readings are an order of magnitude out and I had to edit the code to fix that.

Has anyone been able to modify DaveGut’s handler/smartapp code to integrate KP405 dimmable smart plug? Kasa stated the dimming functionality is only supported in their app. Same thing they said about the KP115’s. Yet, here we are with full functionality in ST with a little workaround.

I am interested in using this smart-plug for dimming dumb string-lights in the backyard upon open and close of the contact sensor with different brightness levels.