TP-Link/Kasa Bulbs and Plugs Control (Old, Unofficial Integration)

When did the problems start? They recently had a hub firmware update to 19.17. It rolled out about Nov 16.

Also, when did you install the TP-Link devices? (I changed events slightly in later versions. May be a factor (I am testing now).

I have loaded Alexa (US), Wake Up, Logitech Harmony, Notify Me When and Smart Lighting to see if any interaction to these is causing the messages in my configuration (2 HS100, 3 HS105, 3 HS200, 1 LB120, 1 LB130). If I can duplicate, then I can try to solve.

What I can not do is test the TP-Link cloud using the European cloud interface. At a loss there.

Right from the word go. With regards to the firmware, Iā€™ve only had the hub for 10 days so Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™ve been running 19.17 since day one.

I installed the TP-Link devices about a week ago.

Thanks for your help on this Dave.

I have noticed that I constantly get these as well (although Iā€™m sure thatā€™s nothing to do with this particular app).

Screenshot_20171121-183707

Itā€™s slightly annoying that I have to refresh pages to see my devices etc! I wonder if it is as you say, a firmware thingā€¦

Finally is there anywhere that I can actually get a more detailed error report for the red bar? I canā€™t see anything in the live logā€¦

I am trying to find out about getting more information on the errors. However, what you are showing above IS a SmartThings problem that they should address. I would definitely report this to SmartThings. It sounds like you have a basic problem of some sort.

See the attached link if you feel alone:

I just installed Gentle Wake Up for a period (I assumed this was your smart app. Well, when going to uninstall, I get the Unexpected Error!!! Are you using Gentle Wake Up?

I am actually using that app, yes. Shall I try removing it?

In response to your other point - I went straight to ST support. They were really helpful one day, lots of messaging back and forth and suddenly theyā€™ve stopped replying. Really annoying.

Their last message to me 5 days ago was:

ā€œWe need to rule out any custom things that may be causing issues. This issue is isolated to your specific account, we have no other reports of this at this time. The issue may be tied to the fact you have that code on your account.ā€

Try removing it. If the errors stop report it to smartthings. Tell me if this works.

Iā€™m afraid not :confused: Iā€™m guessing Iā€™ll hold fire until thereā€™s a new f/w update and see what happens.

Understand. Wish I could help more. Not seeing these errors on other TP-Link users. Does NOT mean the TP-Link implementation did not cause errors. Just at my wits end.

I will continue to investigate, but I do not see success.

Keep in touch if things change.

Donā€™t worry Dave, youā€™ve been extraordinarily helpful thus far. Iā€™ll keep you posted, and thank you for all your time :slight_smile:

Dave, great integration! Thanks for the good work.

I will maintain any schedules for this device in the Kasa app - while doing all condition-based automations in ST/webcore.

So now my smarthome includes the following services:
SmartThings /Webcore
Tasker/Sharptools/joaoapps/smarttiles
Hue
Chamberlain
Ecobee
TPlink/Kasa
Life360
IFTTT
Alexa

This is getting out of hand. lol

1 Like

It is a rabbit hole. And the Queen of Hearts and Mad Hatter are in cahoots!

Thanks for the kind comment.

Awesome - thanks so much! I used the cloud based integration and it worked without a hitch. One suggestion - instead of copying the code into the smart apps and device handlers, can you use GitHub so that any updates are easy pulled from the repository? This is how some of the other smart apps work, like Nest and MyQ and it works great. Thanks again for your efforts!!

Learning how to do that is on my list of things to do.

Slightly off topic but TP-Link Kasa is now Beta on IFTTTā€¦

Thanks. Worked as Expected.
Great Job.

Very Well Documented.

Thank you, Dave. This works perfectly for me using the hub based method on an old Windows XP PC I primarily use as a SqueezeBox server. XP doesnā€™t support the current Node.js version, but v5.12 works fine for me, and my three HS-100s are visible and working.

1 Like

Thanks Dave, just picked up a HS100 plug for $5 with an Echo dot and was unsure this was going to integrate into SmartThingsā€¦used the cloud based program and so far so good, very easy to set up!

1 Like

I got one on that $35 deal, and ordered another on the same deal that will be arriving soon.

My strategy for deployment is that these will be in locations toward the center and basement of the house, while the Iris zwave/zigbee repeater plugs are out at the corners to widen the network.

Problem is Iā€™m starting to run out of things that need smart outlets lol

I ran out a long time ago. Same with real need for smart bulbs. I have them in Living Room and master bedroom to allow lower light control, etc.