Timed toggle that repeats Z-wave contact?

(JGuyton) #1

Looking for a solution to something I need for my Hydroponic garden. I have a z-wave contact that is 110v input and 12v output that operate an air pump. I would like for the contact to come on for 15 minutes and then go off for fifteen minutes go on for fifteen minutes and then go off for fifteen minutes and repeat infinitely. Any ideas for an app or ifttt to give me this ability?

I’m sure there’s a custom code or CORE solution that would be much more elegant, But meanwhile you can do this with a closed daisy-chain set up.

Set up two virtual switches, A and B. Set the actual pump switch to follow switch A.

Set up switch A so that it turns itself off after 15 minutes.

Set up switch B so that it also turns itself off after 15 minutes.

Set up switch B so that it turns on when switch A turns off.

Set up switch A so that it turns on when switch B turns off

You have to manually start switch A the first time.

Initiate the cycle

Manually start switch A. The pump will also come on.

After 15 minutes, switch A will turn itself off. The pump will turn itself off and switch B will turn itself on.

Switch B Will run for 15 minutes, then turn itself off. This will turn A on. When A turns on, the pump will also turn on.

This sequence will repeat forever.

The trickiest thing about this is getting it to stop. If you just turn off either switch A or Switch B, something else is going to turn on.

So for long-term use, you would probably want either a core rule or custom code so that you can add a conditional that you could toggle a lot and often stop the whole sequence.

Alternatively, when you want to stop the sequence you have to temporarily change one of the rules about following so that you could turn one of the virtual switches off without turning the other one on.

(Eric) #3

so much better to use a plug-in timer that doesn’t depend on internet.

( I hate Mondays) #4

The CoRE solution:

IF
    Time trigger happens every 15 minutes
THEN
    Using pump switch...
        > Toggle

But @ero4444 is right, a plug-in timer, even a rotary $3.97 one like I found in HD, would fix your problem in a more “consistent” way… Errr, the $3.97 one can only do 30 minute intervals…