Time based events failing?

For the record…this is how it’s done!

…and this is the result at 10:48AM:

1 Like

Jesus if they have the correct apis for development and support it should be trivial to loop through all schedules find those that have a past date and reschedule or change date. It should be 50-100 lines of code. That may not fix all the problems and won’t fix the root cause of schedules being missed, but my guess it us a good workaround for now ans would make a lot of people happier.

1 Like

In IFTTT I have added “if sunrise, then switch on the sun”. I like my switch name. Now to figure out the best smartapp to make sure this happens.

You can set up a momentary switch that fires your routine…

Yes, but it has to work with my modes (home/away/night/day/sleep) and the ST supplied ones don’t pay attention to what mode you are currently in. So I have to find an app that will do that… On it. Suggestions welcome. Just all has to be event based. No timers/polling.

I also now see why a lot of SmartApps use mode changes to refresh. That resets cloud corruption issues.

My system failed to trigger 5 days ago. Worked 5 days in a row and today the sunrise actions never happen. I wish Smarthings would send a notification to people when their system is broke.

Exactly the same here. In fact, since I no longer trust the system, I checked the scheduler status for the front light 30 minutes before it was due to trigger, and all looked fine. Yet, if failed to fire and now shows in the past.

I don’t see the point in going through the trouble of changing all the time triggers, saving etc., if they can’t be depended on for even half an hour. I’ll just wait until something breaks (or I run out of patience). Of course, still haven’t heard a word from Support on the ticket opened 2 days ago. I’ll update the ticket, as should everyone else continuing to have problems.

Half of my triggers are not working since the platform update either. I am spending hours trying to get it working again. All worked until the platform update so I know they changed something. I’m still running v1 hub because I’m afraid to update. On top of that, the android app crashes or locks up so often I keep a settings window open so I can force close the android app instead of waiting forever for it to time out. I am very close to my breaking point and am considering starting to review what the competition had to offer. So frustrated.

I am also. The extremely simple tasks of turning lights on a off is taking hours out of my life. I own many other high tech devices that just work.

Yes, this is not a new issue. All statrted after platform maintenance almost 2 weeks ago. It looked that the issue was solved last week around Nove 23-24 and everthing was back up and running to schedule. Then, 2 days ago, :confounded:

Here is a good one. I have 2 gentle wake up alarms. One for my wife and one for me. The coding is the same for both and has worked well for months. Now my wife’s alarm works but I can’t get mine to trigger for anything. It makes no sense. Fortunately, I’m retired so it hasn’t been a huge issue but it’s the point. I am tempted to erase everything, start from scratch, and see if that fixes the whole mess. If not, I have a really big hammer just waiting for the hub.

Have the mode restrict one virtual switch going on. Have A second virtual switch that IFTTT subscribes to follow the first virtual switch. That way you can have mode restrictions on when IFTTT recipes fire.

Of course getting SmartThings to change the Modes at the right times is another issue. My good morning routine failed to fire again today. :tired_face:

Good Morning failed again this AM.
Good Night failed last night.

I have modified my
Tasker App
to issue Good Morning & Good Night routines based on Android time.
But Marshmallow V6 is currently having time delay issues with the new DOZE feature.
At lease a few minutes off is better than nothing!

Could Google & ST fix these issues please!

I just did this with:

-Two recipes in IFTTT, one for sunrise, one for sunset
-One virtual switch called “The Sun”
-Two installs of the same SmartApp, a modified version of the “Switch Changes Mode” app, to which I added a mode check.

Done! Now I have to wait for sunset for testing. My installation is now less dependent on flaky schedulers (but is still dependent on cloud and internet. I’m thinking about a local lux sensor next).

2 Likes

I had to use the simplerulebuilder to make sure some of my mode changes are actually happening. My backup plan to ST’s issues. This is not how it is supposed to be but it kinda works for now. Thanks to @JoeC!

Darn, that might have been more simple than what I just did… checking into it. Less = More!

Edit: I don’t see sunset/sunrise in SimpleRuleBuilder. Are you just using times?

Not sure if this is related to the current discussion, but I’ve been noticing some wonky behavior the last couple days. It looks to me like the problem is with scheduled events that are using the runIn() command…

Ticket opened with ST and waiting to hear back. In the mean time, I’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling the various problematic apps. This does not seem to solve the issue. :frowning:

@bridaus I just use a time after the scheduled mode change, say 10 minutes to see if it actually happened, if not then I let rulebuilder do it.

This is what mine looks like:
Mode - Night Mode - ON 10:30PM - doublecheck
when this happens
Time of day10:30 PM
and these conditions are met
modeis not equal toNight
do these things
change mode toNight
send push notificationNight mode set again. First one failed.

1 Like

It is possible that in your case the “Scheduled Job” is stuck in the past. Check the IDE under “My Locations” - “List SmartApp”

One of my scheduled routines didn’t run. The other ran fine. Hooray, right? Now my bathroom lights are not turning off when there’s no motion or the contact sensor is closed. Don’t see the point on having LEDs to save energy if they’re going to be on the whole day.